Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site

Welcome Page of the Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site . . . | . . . Table of Contents Page . . . | . . . Contact Site Manager

soldier They're in the Service

A scrapbook of WWII clippings from the Daily Star, Oneonta, NY, purchased at a flea market in Reading, PA. by Dr. C. Joseph Waring of Delanson, NY. The articles include releases, marriages and deaths of service people. Their does not seem to be any particular organization of clippings that are from varied months of 1945. I would estimate there are upwards to a thousand clippings here touching upon many Delaware and Otsego county servicemen and families.

Note: To reach photo of soldier, click on highlighted-underlined name.

copy of scrapbook submitted by Lodema Jenkins
electronic text by Joyce Riedinger who also is scanning the photos
permission to use on the Delaware website granted by the Daily Star, Oneonta, New York

This page contains Part 4 of Scrapbook

Clarence Thayer, Oneonta, Weds Miss Libby M. Morton
Clarence Albert Thayer, Oneonta, and Miss Libby Morton, Scappoose, Ore., were married in the Fiverstreet Baptist Church here ThursdayLockridge Studio
Miss Libby Marie Morton, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Jabaneck, Sr., Scappoose, Ore., was married to Clarence Albert Thayer, son of Mr. and Mrs. Louis Thayer, 252 Chestnut St., Thursday afternoon at 2 in River Street Baptist Church. Rev. R.N. Wilkinson performed his ceremony. The attendants were, Mrs. Durel Lockwood, 15 Main St., sister of the groom and Pfc. Joseph W. Lynch, 12 Huntington Ave. Mrs. Pauline Baker was at the organ. The bride, given in marriage by the groom's father, wore a lavender suit with white accessories, and a corsage of white roses. Mrs. Lockwood was attired in a brown suit with yellow accessories. Her corsage was of Yellow roses. Mr. and Mrs. Thayer went to New York on a wedding trip. They will make their home at Long Beach, Wash. The bride attended high school in Nebraska. The groom attended Oneonta High School and worked with his father in the trucking business.

Otego Brothers Reunited in Italy
15th AAF in Italy - It was a red letter day for Sgt. Robert O. Gaylord, 27, Otego, N.Y. when his brother, Carl, 22, received time off from his duties in an ordnance unit of the Fifth Army to pay him a visit. "It's been nearly three years since our last meeting," said Robert, "and seeing him cheered me up more than if they'd given me a medal. He's been overseas 26 months now and I was thinking the war could never end though I've only been over here a year. I guess it shows that someone else always has a rougher deal than you." Carl, a veteran of the Anzio beachhead and the Rome-Arno campaign, obviously enjoyed his visit to the Liberator base where his brother serves as a radio mechanic in the Fifteenth Air Force. "A fellow can get mighty lonely even though there's thousands of soldiers in his outfit," he said. "I've got three brothers in the service and I hadn't seen them for so long it wasn't funny - maybe that's why just seeing Bob boosts my morale so much."
Mrs. Lillian Pickens, Richfield Springs, mother of Bob and Carl, has two other sons serving their country. Donald, 20, is a corporal in an engineering battalion, now fighting with the Ninth Army in Germany and William, 18, serving in an infantry outfit still in the States, has been in uniform just six months. Robert is married and his wife, Mrs. Luella F. Gaylord, is a resident of Otego. Both Robert and Carl resided in Akron, O., until nine years ago and their sisters, Mrs. Clay Malloy, 1488 Briedoing Rd., Mrs. Byron Smith, 322 West Market St., Mrs. Leroy Line, Mt. Vernon, and Mrs. Belmont Cope, North Lawrence, all reside in Akron.

April 23 1945
Hecox, Howey Commissioned Second Lieutenants in Co. I
1st Sgt. George Hecox, 41 Church St., and Maurice E. Howey, 37 Church St., have been commissioned second lieutenants in Co. I, NYG, it was announced last night by Capt. Kenneth L. Black, commanding officer. With the promotions, Co. I, has its quota of four officers. Lts. Hecox and Howey, who will assume their new duties Tuesday night, succeed A. Bertram Davis, resigned, and 1st Lt. Lee S. Hull, recently promoted and appointed engineer officer of the Third Battalion staff. Lt. Hecox served over six years, from Nov. 1, 1929 to Nov. 3, 1935, in Co. G. NYNG, being a corporal at the time of hiss honorable discharge. He joined Co. I, when it was formed in November 1940, and was appointed a corporal Feb 10 1941. After serving as company clerk for several months, he was transferred to the floor, later receiving his appointment as mess sergeant. He was promoted to first sergeant when the company returned from summer encampment in 1943. Lt. Howey served four years with Co. G, receiving an honorable discharge as a sergeant when he moved to Pennsylvania in 1929. He joined Co. I upon its organization and was promoted to sergeant in 1941. He severed his connections with the State Guard when he was assigned to work in Sidney, but returned a year later and joined the Guard as a private. He was appointed a sergeant two years ago. The new lieutenants are expert riflemen and good instructors. Both officers are married. Lt. Howey, who is employed by the New York State Electric & Gas Corp., as a field service man has two children. Lt. Hecox, father of three children, is employed by Spaulding's Bakery.

Pvt. Aleck McClenathan, Walton, who entered service in October and received basic training at Fort Belvoir, Va., has left Indiantown Gay, Pa., for an undisclosed destination.

April 22, 1945
Oneonta Girl Married at Fairport
Miss Goodrich Is Bride of Fairport Man
Miss Phyllis Lorraine Goodrich, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ceylon Goodrich, 30 Rose Ave., and Pvt. Richard Charles Atone, son of Mrs. Margaret Ludden, 3 West Whitney Road, Fairport, were married April 22 by Rev. A. H. Rosener, pastor of the Lutheran Church, Fairport, at his home. They were unattended. Witnesses were Mrs. Ludden, mother of the groom, and Mrs. Rosener. The bride wore a street length dress of duration blue, with black accessories. She was graduated from Oneonta High School in January 1945. Pvt. Stone attended Morris Central School, and was employed at Stewart Ice Co. prior to entering service Oct 13 1944. He received basic training at Camp Blanding, Fla., and has reported to Ft. Ord, Cal., for assignment.

April 22 1945
Area Men and Women in the Armed Forces
A Ninth Air Defense Command Unit, France - Pfc. Donald N. Kiells, whose grandmother, Mrs. Elizabeth Lippert, lives in Mt. Vision, N. Y., and Cpl. George F. Clark, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ray Clark, Worcester, received one o the greatest rewards a soldier can earn when Lt. Gen. George S. Patton, commanding general of the Third U. S. Army, commended them and the men of their battery in a commendation which read in part: "These attacks were met by the gun crews with typical American fortitude; each man displaying conspicuous bravery. Defending the field with rapidly developed and extremely effective fire, these units destroyed fourteen enemy aircraft and badly damaged four others. The heroic performance of these units is in keeping with the highest traditions of the service."
Pfc. Leon Waters, son of Mr. and Mrs. Leon Waters, Laurens, is spending a 45-day furlough at the home of his parents. At the end of his leave, he will return to Fort Dix for reassignment. Pfc. Waters entered service Nov. 18, 1942, and trained at Camp Croft, S. C. and Camp Edwards, Mass. He was sent overseas April 1, 1943, and saw action in Africa, Sicily, Salerno, Italy, and France. He was wounded in Italy and France, while attached to the Fifth and the Seventh Armies. He left Europe Feb 22 for England and arrived in the United States March 26.
Cpl. L. A. Erickson has arrived overseas, according to word received by Mrs. Erickson, 30 East End Ave. Cpl. Erickson was employed by J. M. Robertson, Oneonta contractor, prior to entering service.
Pfc. William Hammond, who was wounded in action in December, has arrived at Camp Edwards, Mass., according to word received by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. William Hammond, Meredith. Overseer six months, he had served in France and Germany.

April 22 1945
Yanks Liberate Pfc. John Hunt From Germans
Pfc. John D. Hunt, reported missing Dec 19 in Germany, is alive and has regained his freedom according to a letter received yesterday by his parents, Dr. and Mrs. Charles W. Hunt, 58 Elm St. "It was great news to hear that our son was alive and had been liberated." Said Dr. Hunt, who is president of State Teachers College. "We had not heard from him since he was reported missing and the news seems too good to be true." In the letter to his parents, postmarked April 13, Pfc. Hunt said that on "April 12, at 5:30 in the afternoon, the Yanks liberated all of us at the Stalag. "It was a happy day. We shouted and danced and carried on as if we were crazy. Then we were sent back to an excavation hospital, where we had our first GI chow since I was captured on Dec 19. After a typical menu of "oakbark" tea for breakfast, a bowl of thin soup for dinner, a couple of slices of potato bread in the middle of the afternoon, and a cup of "tea" for supper for the past months, it was like coming home on furlough but not as fine as anything but chow and being with the American Army again. Pfc. Hunt advised his parents that he was moving "out of here practically immediately."

April 24 1945
In Pacific Area
PO 3/c Bennie L. Pratt, son of Mr. and Mrs. Bennie Pratt, 21 Butler St. is serving in the South Pacific area. He entered service Dec 27, 1943, and received boot training at Sampson. He was then assigned to electrical school there, and completed this course July 3 1944. PO Pratt took advanced courses at Solomons, Md., and attended gyro-compass school in Brooklyn.

April 24 1945
Reported Missing
QM 3/c Chris Frank Kompare, 22, has been reported missing in action. Notification has been sent his parents. Mr. and Mrs. Anton Kompare, Winney Hill road. QM Kompare, who entered the Navy in July 1942, graduated from Cathedral Academy, Albany in 1941. He was employed by the New York Central railroad before enlistment. After training at Newport, R. I., and the University of Illinois, QM Kompare saw service in both the Atlantic and Pacific.

April 24 1945
Oneonta Sailor is Honor Guard on Roosevelt Train
Mrs. Rhoba Lathrop, 549 Main St., has received word, from her son, Sea. 1/c Donald Lathrop, telling her that he was one of the guard of honor which accompanied the funeral train of President Roosevelt from Washington, D. C. to Hyde Park. Sea. Lathrop, whose wife resides at 6 Harmon Ave., entered the service in September 1943. He trained at Sampson, is a member of the armed guard, and has been on convoy duty in the Atlantic area.

April 24 1945
Killed on Iwo
Pfc. William Gage Moody, U.S. Marine Corps, has been killed on Iwo Jima, according to word received by his wife, Mrs. Nancy Moody, 45 Spruce St.

April 27 1945
One Oneonta soldier has been killed in action and two area servicemen are missing in the Pacific and European theaters, relatives have been notified by the War and Naby Departments.
Cpl. Henry N. Kopf, OHS Graduate, Killed in Action
Mrs. Maude Kopf, 3 Rose Ave., has received a telegram from the War Department that her son, Cpl. Henry N. Kopf, has been killed in action in Germany after receiving a previous wire that he was reported missing in action in Germany April 1. The last wire said that a letter would follow with complete information. Cpl. Knof had been in service for three years and was sent overseas in time to take part in the Normandy invasion June 6. He served with an engineer battalion under Gen. Patton. He was a graduate of Oneonta High School.
Bloomville Sailor Missing In the Pacific Theater
Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Macaluso , Bloomville, received a telegram from the Navy Department Friday advising them that their son, F 1/c Leonard Macaluso, is missing in action in the Pacific area. Fireman Macaluso was on a destroyer-minesweeper.. He entered the Navy in January 1944, and served seven months in the Atlantic theater in four campaigns in Normandy and Southern France. He trained at Sampson. Before going into service he attended Bloomville Central School and later was employed in New York City. A brother, Sgt. Grant Macaluse, is serving in Germany with Gen. Patton's Army.
Lt. Estes, Walton, Bomber Pilot, Is Reported Missing
Walton - Lt. Robert Estes, Fortress pilot, son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Estes, Quarry Rd., is missing in action in Germany. Lt. Estes, graduate of Walton High School, went out with old Co. F in October 1940. After serving in the Hawaiian Islands with the company, he was returned to this country for officer training. He went to the European theater several weeks ago. Lt. Estes' brother, Lt. Lionel Estes, who also went out with Co. F in 1940, is in the European theater. A younger brother, Gerald, is in the Navy. The brothers are graduates of the Walton High School where they distinguished themselves scholastically and in other fields.

Emmons Brothers in Army, Navy
Sea. 2/c Richard E. Collier (left), son of Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Collier, Emmons, has been transferred from Sampson to ship school at Newport, R. I. He was home on leave recently, when he became ill with pneumonia and spent nine days at the Bassett Hospital, Cooperstown. Another son, Pvt. Robert J. Collier, stationed at Indiantown Gap., Pa., visited here while his brother was home.

Wins Wings
Schuyler Lake - Cpl. Herman G. Curry, son of Mr. and Mrs. George Curry, this place, as recently graduated from gunnery school, Yuma, Ariz., where he was promoted to his present rank and awarded wings. Cpl. Curry a graduate of Richfield Springs High School, entered service in February, 1944. Before going to Yuma, he attended radio school at Scott Field, Ill.

On Furlough Home
Pvt. Louis J. Laskaris is spending a furlough with his parents Mr. and Mrs. John L. Laskaris, 114 Spruce St. Pvt. Laskaris, who was inducted into the Army a few months ago, has been transferred from Camp Blanding, Fla., to Fort George C. Meade, Md.

Worcester - Ens. Delmar Hill, son of Mr. and Mrs. Fenton Hill of this place who has been home on a 20-day leave from Jacksonville, has been reassigned to Hutchinson, Kan.

Morris Flyer Home
Morris - Lt. Willard Tremlett, pilot of a pursuit plane, recently spent a few days leave at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Stephen Tremlett.

Arrives Overseas
Worcester - Pvt. Robert L. Farnum has arrived in France, according to word received by his mother, Mrs. Robert Darling. Entering the service Oct. 13 1944, he trained at Camp Blanding, Pa.

On Guadacanal
Otego - Cpl. Adelbert Root has arrived on Guadalcanal, according to word received by his wife here. Entering service in 1942, he trained in Louisiana and Tennessee and was stationed at Indiantown Gap, Pa., as a cook before going overseas.

Serving in Burma
Cpl. Hugh Riddell, Delhi, is serving in Burma with the Mars Task Force. He entered service Jan 1 1943 and trained at Fort Riley, Kan., Fort Bliss, Tex., and Camp Roberts, Cal. Sent overseas to the Far Eastern theater in July 1844, Cpl. Riddell is now troop saddler of his outfit. Cpl Riddell was married in June 1944 to Miss Jane Kosiak, daughter of Mrs. Mary Kosiak, 44 West Broadway. He is a graduate of Delaware Academy, and before entering service worked as a bus driver and harness maker.

Capt. Lothar Fieg Wins His Seventh Air Medal Award
An Eighth Air Force Fighter Station - "For exceptional meritorious service in accomplishing with distinction numerous aerial operational missions over enemy-occupied continental Europe," Capt. Lothar Fieg, son of Mr. and Mrs. Lothat Fieg, of 10 North Sixth St., Oneonta, N. Y. has been decorated with a seventh Oak Leaf Cluster to the Air Medal. Capt. Fieg, who has credit for shooting down an ME-109, also wears the Distinguished Flying Cross with Oak Leaf Cluster. He is assistant operations officer of one of the P-51 Mustang squadrons in the high-scoring 352nd Fighter Group. The group, which is commanded by Col. James D. Mayden, of Junction City, Kan., recently received the coveted War Department's Distinguished Unit Citation "for extraordinary heroism, determination, and esprit de corps in action against the enemy." Capt. Fieg, who is 25 years old, was graduated from Oneonta High School in 1937 and attended the University of Alaska for two years.

May 8 1945
Pfc. John F. Bruce is 43rd Oneontan Killed in Action; Two Vicinity Soldiers Die
Forty-third Oneontan to die in World War II is Pfc. John F. Bruce, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Bruce, 47 Clinton St. He was killed in action of Luzon April 17, the War Department revealed in a telegram to his parents. Two other soldiers from the Oneonta area have also been killed in action, one in Germany and the other in Italy.
Oneonta Soldier Is Killed on Luzon
Pfc. Bruce was wounded in the Philippines Feb 8 and had been back on duty three weeks when he was killed. He enlisted in the Army Oct 18 1942, trained at Camp Roberts, and was sent overseas from there. He had been 22 months in the Philippines. A graduate of Oneonta High School, he was WORKING in Syracuse with the L. C. Smith Co. when he entered service. He was a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church here and the Veterans of Foreign Wars. Pfc. Bruce was born Sept. 19, 1911 in Oneonta. His wife is the former Miss Gertrude M. Nordberg, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Gustav S. Nordberg, 11 Irving Pl. Besides his parents and wife, Pfc. Bruce is survived by a daughter, Arlene, 7; two brothers, Sgt. Gerald, in Germany and MM 1/c Joseph, in South America; three sisters and a brother, 1st Lt. Genevieve Bruce, A.N.C. in France, and Cadet Nurse Elizabeth Bruce, at the Benedictine Hospital, Kingston, and Mary and Robert at home.

Pvt. Cimelli, Hobart, Killed on April 14
Hobart - Mr. and Mrs. Peter Cimelli, this place, have received word that their son, Pvt. Frank Cimelli, was killed in Italy April 14. He was serving in Gen. Mark Clark's Fifth Army. Pvt. Cimelli had been in service for three years and overseas for two. He was born Nov. 5, 1910, in New York city, and received his education in Piacenza, Italy, where he graduated from high school, and in New York, where he attended school. He lived for many years on his father's farm near Hobart. In 1933 he went to New Jersey, where he was employed by the General Electric Co, at Bloomfield. Besides his parents, he leaves a wife, Mrs. Elizabeth Cimelli, and a two-year-old daughter, Annette, of Orange, N.J.; one brother, Louis Cimelli, Hobart; two sisters, Mrs. Ambrose Valdatta, Poughkeepsie, and Mrs. Alfred Migli, Hobart.

Lt. Phelps, Sprout Brook, Killed in Germany
Sprout Brook - Mr. and Mrs. Fay Phelps, Sprout Brook, were advised Sunday that their son, Lt. Jackson E. Phelps, was killed in Germany July 29, 1944.He had been reported missing in action July 29 and later was reported a prisoner of war in Germany. Lt. Phelps was a graduate of the Cherry Valley Central School. He is survived by his parents and one sister.

VanWoert Brothers, Oneonta, Take Part In Okinawa Battle
Two Oneonta brothers, both Naval officers and city officials on leave, had active roles in the invasion of Okinawa. Ens. James D. VanWoert, 23 Ford Ave., city chamberlain and Lt.(jg) John L. VanWoert, 20 Walnut St., city judge, have met several times in the Pacific area, although serving on different ships. "About all I can tell you now is that both John and I are safe and well, although we have been through hell for the past ten days. What a mess war is anyway, and what a waste of everything. "A year ago I would not have believed that I could have endured such a business, but somehow or other the senseless acts of the Japs harden our men and surprising reserves of determination keep us quite calm." "God surely is on our side, else we never would have come through the way we have. I can understand, now, why fellows 'get religion' all of a sudden." The brothers, enlisted in February 1944, and Ens. VanWoert was assigned in July to a combat cargo ship, on which he is serving as radar officer. Lt. VanWoert was assigned in September to an attack troop transport as a radar officer. They have spent practically all of their active service in the Pacific.

In Germany
Pfc. Donald M. Woodworth, son of Mr. and Mrs. Wallace U. Woodworth, 243 Chestnut St., is serving with an ordnance unit in Germany. Prior to entering the service Jan. 7 1943, he had been employed at the Schenectady General Electric plant and Carr's Clothing Store. He has been overseas four months. His wife, Mrs. Barbara Woodworth, and daughter, Sandra, are residing in Binghamton.

Out of Hospital
Worcester - Cpl Leon Bellinger, who had been a patient at the convalescent hospital, Plattsburg, is spending a 14-day furlough with his father, Louis Bellinger, and his sister, Miss Eldeana Bellinger. Cpl. Bellinger entered service Sept. 4 1942, trained at Miami Beach, Fla., and served in the Pacific area. He was wounded in action, by shrapnel, in the right arm on Leyte, Nov 18 1944. He will return to Plattsburg when his furlough ends.

Back From Bermuda
Worcester - Pfc. Harold Hunt, Bermuda, is spending a 17-day furlough with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Erwin Hung. Pfc. Hunt entered service Sept 4 1942, received basic training at Miami, Fla., and has been stationed at Bermuda since July 1944.

Worcester Boy Freed From Nazis
Worcester - Dr. and Mrs. A. D. Miller received a letter last night from their son, Staff Sgt. Douglas Miller, saying that he had been released from Luckenwalde prison by the Russians on April 21, but did not made contact with the Americans until May 5. He is now hospitalized in France. Sgt. Miller, entered service in March 1943, trained at Camp Attlebury, Ind., and left for overseas, Oct 15 1944. He was reported missing in action Dec. 16 1944. Later his parents were notified that he was a prisoner.

May 2 - 3 1945

WAC And Convict Bridegroom
WAC Pvt. Mary Delena Bailey of Mt. Vernon, N.Y., discusses future plans with her husband, John R. Bailey, Jr., Arkansas convict for whom she obtained a 30-day furlough from the state penitentiary so that they might wed. Now the pair have secured a 30-day extension to the leave, so that Bailey may accompany his bride from Little Rock, where this picture as made, to Camp Edwards, Mass. (AP Wirephoto.)

Lt. M. K. Grant, Oneontan's Kin, Killed in Action
Mrs. Donald Grant, 19 Elm St., has received word of the death of 1st Lt. Malcolm K. Grant, son of Kenneth Grant, Troy, and nephew of her husband, Capt. Donald Grant. Lt. Grant, who was with a tank destroyer outfit with Patton's Third Army, was killed in action in Germany. He entered service in June 1942 and prior to going overseas in August 1944, had trained at Camp Hood, Tex., and Camp Shelby, Miss. He took part in the Battle of the Bulge. Lt. Grant was a graduate of Lansingburg High School, and he attended Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute.

Oneonta Soldier Takes Bride
Sgt. Speranzi and Miss Bowen Wed
Miss Katheryn Elizabeth Bowen, daughter of Paul L. Bowen, Bloomburg, Pa., was married to T/Sgt. Anthony R. Speranzi, son of Mr. and Mrs. Julius Speranzi, 17 Brookside ave., by Rev. John Sullivan, in St. Mary's church. Dec 30 at 11 a.m. Miss Ann Speranzi and Andrew R. Speranzi, sister and brother of the bride attended the couple. Altar boys were John Rosher and Thomas Sperzanzi, young brother of the groom. Prof. James Keeton, church organist, played traditional wedding marches. The bride wore a street length dress of crepe combining a white blouse-effect top with black skirt and wore a corsage of white roses. Miss Speranzi wore a black street length dress, with lace top and georgette skirt. Her corsage was of pink roses. A family dinner party was held at the Rex following the ceremony and the bridal couple left on the afternoon train, for a brief wedding trip to New York. T/Sgt. Speranzi is a graduate of Oneonta high school. He enlisted in the service in 1940 and in 1941 was sent to Iceland. He was stationed there for two and one-half years and was then sent to England. It was there that he met his bride, formerly a WAC sergeant serving in England, who has since received an honorable discharge. Sgt. Speranzi returned to the states late in the fall. Mrs. Speranzi will accompany her husband to Reading, Pa., where he is stationed.

Lt. M. J. Tyler, Cooperstown, Killed in India
Cooperstown - 1st Lt. Mahlon James Tyler, 28, son of Mr. and Mrs. Francis J. Tyler, Cooperstown, R.D. 2, was killed in action April 4 in India, according to a message received by the parents from Mr. and Mrs. Victor Clesi, Dallas, Tex., parents of their son's wife, who has been making her home with them since Lt. Tyler went overseas in December. Lt. Tyler, in the flying service for nearly four years, trained as a bombardier and was an instructor in Waco and Fort Worth, Tex., for nearly two years before he volunteered for overseas service. After reaching India, Lt. Tyler transferred to the Air Transport Service, and was flying between India and China. A letter received by his parents here the day on which he met his death indicated that he was pleased with his new assignment and at the completion of 650 hours in the air would have been entitled to a furlough home. Adding to the tragedy of his death is the fact that his wife is a hospital patient in Dallas, where on April 3, she gave birth to a daughter. Hospital surgeons advised that she not be told of her husband's death for present, since two weeks previous her brother had also been killed in Germany. Surviving Lt. Tyler, besides his parents, his wife, and infant daughter, are a son, Bruce, two, and two sisters, Mrs. Kenneth Mallory, Milford, and Mrs. Eugene Eckstein, an executive of the Girl Scouts of America, with headquarters at Nyack. Lt. Tyler was born Dec. 2 1916, and was an alumnus of Cherry Valley High School and Cornell University.

Pfc. James Burnett, Jefferson, Dies
Jefferson - Pfc. James D. Burnett, Jefferson died suddenly at Regional Hospital, Ft. Monmouth, N. J. Saturday. Funeral will be held at his home here Wednesday at 2 p.m. Rev. Brewer Burnett, Scranton, Pa., officiating. Burial will be in Evergreen cemetery. Pfc. Burnett was born in Jefferson, Nov 16, 1914, son of Roy and Viola (Fancher) Burnett. Graduating from Jefferson High School in 1931, he did post graduate work in 1932, after which he attended the University of Alabama for four years. He was inducted into the army Nov. 18 1943, and among the places where he was stationed were: Camp Kohler, Cal., and Camp Crowder, Mo. He also took a 12 months' course in electrical engineering in Oregon, and recently had been stationed at Fort Monmouth, N.J. He was expecting to be sent overseas soon with the Signal Corps. He is survived by his parents, one sister, PhM 3/c Winifred Joyce Burnett, San Diego, Cal.; five brothers, Maurice Wayne and Ellis, at home, Lynn of Brooklyn and Sgt. Francis, N. A. T. C. overseas; his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Caleb Fancher, Richmondville. Pfc. Burnett visited his parents four weeks ago and seemed to be in good health at that time, but he had been afflicted with asthma since childhood.

John F. Sherman Is Made Major
Maj. John F. Sherman, son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Sherman, 44 Cedar St., was promoted to that rank April 1, according to word received here. He was chosen one of two candidates to enter General Staff and Command School at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., in August and was graduated in October. Maj. Sherman was inducted into service in Albany Feb 21 1941, and was assigned to the Fourth Division at Fort Benning, Ga., where he chose the Field Artillery. He entered Officers' Candidate School at Fort Sill, Okla., and was graduated a second lieutenant in June 1942. He was promoted to first lieutenant September 1942 and to captain in April 1943. Returned to the 89th Division in November, he was assigned as staff officer on Division Artillery Staff. Maj. Sherman was sent overseas in January and is now serving in Gen. Patton's Third Army.

May 3 1945
Oneontans Hail Hitler's Death, But Stay Skeptical
Oneonta heard the report of Hitler's death yesterday with grim satisfaction, mixed with skepticism. Those questioned said it was "big news" if true, but they wanted more proof of the authenticity of the story. The news had its origin from the official German radio, gut this source has been so notorious in flaunting the truth, some said, that they were not ready to believe it until other confirmation is forthcoming. Below are few local comments: Mayor Alexander F. Carson said: "I think the news of Hitler's death is premature. I would have preferred seeing him brought to trial so that the tragedies which he brought upon the world would again be publicized before the people of every nation so they would not forget."
Postmaster Chester A. Miller said: "It is big news if it is true, but I shall want more evidence before I believe it."
Dr. Henry J. Arnold, president of Hartwick College said: "The death of the world's worst tyrant from whatever cause has only to be hailed with satisfaction by an outraged world. An arch enemy of all mankind has been liquidated."
In New York City there was surprise gut there were few demonstrations. Nor was there any tendency from persons of prominence or obscurity to speak well of the presumably dead.
Mayor F. H. LaGuardia asked "is the good news true?" Told there was no confirmation of the Hitler death report beyond the German radio announcement, he said, "I hate to make any comment on such good news unless it's absolutely true." The mayor added, however, "If it's true I'd say that the death came just ten years too late. The curse to our present civilization occurred nine months before the bum was born."
"I wouldn't want to say what I feel like saying." Was the only comment of Bernard Brauch, advisor to Presidents.
"It's great news if it's true." Said Raymond Bellmore, a sailor in the Canadian navy.
James W. Gerard, who was ambassador to Germany when the United States entered World War I said: "First of all, I want to be very sure Hitler is killed. I think he may have arranged an escape for himself in this way."
"Good riddance to bad rubbish," was all former Judge Samuel Seabury had to say of Hitler's reported death.
The news that once would have been electrifying lost some of its force by coming in the crush of war-end events and expectations. Another damper was the source of the report - the radio of a regime that has scorned truth. Jews, whose hatred of Hitler began in his early days of window-smashing persecution, saw the possible lifting of a scourge from their people's backs.
Said Rabbi Stephen S. Wise, president of the American and the World Jewish congresses:
"If the report be true, a man has died who did more evil, who hurt more people in a more terrible way than any man in human history."

In Philippines
Roxbury - 1st Lt. Norman F. Hoag, this place, is serving with a field artillery observation unit in the Philippines and was one of the first to land on Leyte with General MacArthur's forces. An advance ROTC student at Cornell, he was called to active duty upon graduation and sent to Fort Sill, Okla., for officers training. As a second lieutenant, he served at Camp Bowie, Texas, and Camp Polk, La., before going overseas.

May 4 1945
Memorial Rites Held for Victim of Plane Crash
Cooperstown - Relatives, neighbors and friends, filled Middlefield Methodist Church Sunday afternoon at 3 to pay tribute at the memorial service for Lt. Mahlon J. Tyler, son of Mrs. And Mrs. Francis J. Tyler, Cooperstown, R.D.2. Lt. Tyler lost his life in a plane crash April 4 while piloting a giant aircraft of the Army Transport Command "over the hump" between India and China. He had been in the India-Burma war theater since December. An American flag draped over the church pulpit formed the background for a large hand-colored portrait of Lt. Tyler, at either side of which were potted flowers. The memorial tributes were given by Rev. Raymond Hill, church pastor, and Rev. Wilbur C. Dodge, Methodist pastor, Milford. Recorded pipe organ music was heard during the service. Lt. Tyler was born in Westford Dec 2, 1916, but had lived in the town of Middlefield since he was a year old until his entrance into the Army. He graduated from Cherry Valley High School in 1936 and from the Agricultural College of Cornell University in 1940. He taught vocational agriculture in the Lisbon High School for a year prior to enlisting as an aviation cadet in October, 1941. During his college course, he qualified for a private pilot's license, and frequently flew from Ithaca to the Tyler farm on the Cherry Valley-Roseboom road. He received his commission and wings at the Gulf Coast Air Corps training center at Moore Field, Tex., in May 1941. Later he was flight instructor at Harlenger Aerial Gunnery School, Goodfellow Field, Tex., and at Waco, Tex., until he volunteered for overseas duty. He was married in San Angelo, Tex., Aug 8 1942 to Miss Carmen Josephine Clesi, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Vick Clesi, Dallas, Tex. Surviving are the wife, a two-year-old son, Bruce, an infant daughter born in a Dallas hospital April 3, the day before Lt. Tyler's death; his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Francis J. Tyler, Cooperstown, R.D.2; two sisters, Mrs. Kenneth Mallory, Milford, and Mrs. Eugene Eckstein, Nyack.

May 8 1945
American Sailors Abroad German U-Boat
The American flag waves from the conning tower of the first surrendered German U-boat brought to a New England port after U. S. Navy men boarded the U-805 from a tug at Portsmouth, N. H. (AP Wirephoto.)

May 5-6 1945
Awarded Air Medal in Italy
15th Army Air Forces, Italy - S/Sgt. Lynn M. Joslyn, husband of Mrs. Edith Layman Joslyn, 2 Harrison St., has been awarded the Air Medal for "meritorious achievement while participating in aerial flight over Italy." He also received an Oak Leaf cluster.

Oneonta Soldier Wins Bronze Star
T/5 Wilbur L. Waring, 35 Ceperley Ave., has been awarded the Bronze Star medal for heroic achievement in action on Feb 19 in Germany. He, with three other soldiers, members of a wire team of a liaison section, volunteered to repair a break in the communication lines between an infantry regiment and an artillery fire direction center. Three additional breaks occurred from direct enemy fire during the splicing, but "disregarding their own personal safety, they continued to repair all breaks and restored vitally needed communication facilities," the citation read.

Roxbury Soldier Killed in Action; Oneontan Injured
Reports of casualties as the result of recent bitter fighting in Europe continue to arrive, the latest containing the name of a Roxbury soldier, killed in action, and an Oneonta boy, wounded for the second time.
Fifth Roxbury Man Killed in Action
Roxbury - Mr. and Mrs. George Haight have received word of the death in action in France of their nephew, Pvt. Byron George Haight, April 7. Pvt. Haight is the fifth Roxbury boy to give his life for his country. He was inducted May 9 1941 in the same group of men as the late S/Sgt. Ralph S. Ives, who met death exactly a year before; on May 4, 1944. Pvt. Haight was about 27 years old. His home was at Prattsville, but he had worked a few years at Roxbury, for Bernard Bartley and for William Graham and went into the service from here. Besides his mother, who resides in Prattsville, he is survived by a half-sister, and by his grandmother, Mrs. Byron Haight, Roxbury, and several uncles and aunts, including George and Kendall Haight of Roxbury; Walter Haight of Truxton, and Mrs. Harold Finch of Margaretville.
Pfc. Vincent Finigado Wounded Second Time
Pfc. Vincent Fingado, son of Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Fingado, South Side, has received his second wound in action in Germany. A letter has been received from him saying that he was now in a hospital in France. He was wounded first last February. Pfc. Fingado went into service June 15 1944, and trained at Camp Croft, S.C. and Camp Mead, Md. He was sent overseas Nov 10 1944 and was assigned to Gen. Patton's Third Army.

Sgt. Haskin Home
S/Sgt. Gordon E. Haskin, son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Haskin, 49 Maple St., is spending a 45-day furlough here, after serving in Hawaii, the Marshall Islands, and Saipan. He entered service with Co. G in October 1940, trained at Fort McClellan, Ala., and was sent overseas March, 1942. His wife is the former Miss Versa Smith, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Rupert Smith, Oneonta. At the end of his leave, Sgt. Haskin will go to For Dix, N. J. He expects to rejoin his outfit in the Pacific.

Wounded in Action
Cpl. Charles Stepp, husband of Mrs. Lilian Stepp, New York, and son of Mrs. Matilda Hopper, 116 Main St., is hospitalized in France for treatment of an arm injury, received in action in France last month. Cpl. Stepp entered the service about three years ago and has been overseas for seven months. Arrives in India
Pvt. Norgert Potter has arrived in Andimeshk, India, his wife, Mrs. Agnes V. Potter, 396 Chestnut St., has been informed.

Area Men and Women in the Armed Forces
In Final Training
Cpl. Elmer J. Bliss of Portlandville is now completing his final stage of training as a member of a B-29 crew at Pyote Army Air Field, Tex. Son of Mr. and Mrs. Lyle Bliss of Portlandville he is a graduate of Milford Central High School, class of 1943. Cpl. Bliss entered the service Dec 17 1943, and is a gunner on his bomber.

Sgt. Jason Wilson - Delhi Stage, Oneonta has been awarded an Air medal, it was announced, by Brig. Gen. William H. Tunner, commanding general of the India-China Division Air Transport Command. He is an aerial engineer.

Jack T. Nichols, husband of Mrs. Anna Mae Nichols, 6 Harmon Ave., has been promoted from private first class to corporal in Germany where he is serving with the 28th Field Artillery Battalion in the Eighth Infantry Division. The eighth recently crossed the Roer river, assaulted Duren and swiftly pushed all the way to the Rhine at Cologne in a sensational series of night attacks.

Pvt. Ruth I. Jones, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Warren B. Jones, 5 Parish Ave., has arrived in France, according to word received by her parents. Pvt. Jones is stationed with a signal service battalion.

1st. Lt. Carl Grygiel and T/5 Edward Grygiel met for the first time in four years when they enjoyed a reunion in France on Easter Sunday, according to work received by their brother, Frank Grygiel, Country Club Rd. Both were formerly employed at the Country Club here.

Capt. Quentin E. Grant, with the Ninth Army in Germany, was recently promoted to that rank. Capt. Grant is the son of Capt. And Mrs. Donald H. Grant, 19 Elm St.

Cpl. Lewis Maxwell, 4 Wells Ave., has arrived in Germany, according to a letter received by his wife. Cpl. Maxwell entered service last year and has been overseas since December, serving with the Engineers. He was employed at Sidney Scintilla prior to his induction into the Army.

Roxbury - Cpl. Milton Shultis and Cpl. Harold Schuster met recently at Kumming, China. Cpl. Schuster graduated from Roxbury Central School in 1940 and Cpl. Shultis in 1941. Cpl. Shultis drives a truck between China and India over the Stilwell Road. Cpl. Schuster is with the AACS.

May 5 1945
Area Soldiers, Who Helped Smash Germans, Win Praise
Five soldiers of the Oneonta area were attached to an infantry regiment, which the War department, in a release yesterday, praised for having "left landmarks to a defeated Reich from Salerno to the Rhine in 353 days of conflict with the enemy." The five are Pfc. James H. Bubb, 12 Harder Ave., Cobleskill; Pvt. Wilber D. Curtis, Gilbertsville; Staff Sgt. Earl N. Llewellyn, R.D.1, Cliffside, Maryland; Pfc. Floyd N. Curtis, Johnson St., Richfield Springs; and Pfc. Charles W. Cranston, 41 West St., Walton. They served with the 141st infantry regiment of the 36th "Texas" Division of the Seventh Army. The War department information states that the infantrymen were the first troops of the division on German soil and added, that, "in ten days they battered the Wehrmacht from strong positions along the Moder river through the Siegfried line." The doughboys "broke out from a small bridgehead across the Moder, clashed with German rear-guards and finally knocked out 35 pillboxes and forts in cutting through the Siegfried line." Previously in France they captured 6,000 Germans, and later in Austria bagged several Nazi leaders.

May 6 1945
In South Pacific
Pvt. Allen M. Every is with the Marines in the South Pacific. Son of Mr. and Mrs. Allen Every, the 18-year old Marine entered service at the age of 17 on Dec 27 1944. He received basic training at Parris Island, S.C., and was home for a week's leave in March.

Francis A. Niles Is Made Captain
Capt. Francis N. Niles, a member of General Patton's Third Army staff, was promoted to that rank April 12 in Germany, according to a letter received by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Niles, 2 East St. On Patton's staff since November 1944, he has taken part in many major battles. The colonel of the regiment to which he is attached has requested a Presidential citation for Cap. Niles' Battalion and a Distinguished Service Cross for him. Prior to enlisting in June 1942, he was associated with Judge Donald Grant in the practice of law. Capt. Niles is a graduate of Gettysburg College and Albany Law School. He was trial judge advocate of the 87th Division at Ft. Jackson, S.C. before going overseas in October 1944.

May 8 1945
Serves in Egypt
Hartwick - Rev Wilfred Lyon, former pastor of the Hartwick Methodist Church is serving as welfare officer with the U.N. R.R.A. in Egypt. Mr. Lyon recently wrote his mother Mrs. E. J. Patridge, this place, that he is assisting in the care of several thousand Jugoslav refugees. "There is little doubt," he wrote, "that these folks will be moving back to their native land soon and the U.N.R.R.A. will see that they get home in orderly fashion."

Sidney Soldier Advanced in Rank
Sidney - Robert C. Cole, son of Mr. and Mrs. Leon Cole, and husband of Mrs. Ruth Cole, this place, has been promoted to private first class. He entered service in September 1944 and received basic training at Fort McClellan, Ala. He was later sent to Fort Meade, Md. He arrived in France in March and was assigned to Gen. Patton's Third Army. Recently his division, the 94th, was commended for "fine and meritorious work in the Saar-Maiselle triangle, and for seizing a bridgehead east of the Saar river." Before entering service, Pfc. Cole was foreman for several years at Scintilla, Sidney.

Beams Promoted to 1st Lieutenant
15th Air Force in Italy - A P-51 Mustang pilot of the leading fighter group of the Mediterranean theater, Howard L. Beams, 23-year-old son of Mrs. Mary L. Beams of 51 Valleyview St., Oneonta, N.Y. has been promoted to the rank of first lieutenant. A graduate of Oneonta High School, Beams finished his junior year at Hartwick College in Oneonta before joining the AAF in February 1943, for aviation cadet training. He received his wings and commission at the Eagle Pass, Tex., Army Air Field on April 15 1944. The following November, Lt. Beams joined the 31st Fighter Group at its Italian base and flew his first combat mission Jan 15 1945, escorting the 15th's heavy bombers to Vienna. He holds the Air Medal for meritorious achievement in aerial fight against the enemy. One of the oldest AAF fighter groups in point of combat flying against the Nazis, the 31st recently gained top place for aerial victories in the Mediterranean when it shot down 21 Jerries on the last day of March. Beams' squadron, the 309th, accounted for 18 of the enemy planes that day, boosting the squadron's total to 186 and the group's to 569. The 31st also participated in the historic first 15th AAF mission against a Berlin target from Italy. Of eight jet propelled ME 262's destroyed in the air by the 15th's fighters, the 31st group bagged five over the German capital.

May 11 1945
Arrives in France
T/5 Maynard Emmons Waite, son of Mr. and Mrs. E. Emmons Waite, 8 Richards Ave., has arrived in France. He entered service Dec. 1 1942, and trained at Camp Upton where he was stationed for 18 months. He was later assigned to Ft. Dix, N.J., a separation center. Cpl. Waite's wife, formerly Miss Julia Murgatroyd, and infant son, Maynard Emmons Waite II, are living in Patchogue, L.I.

Luzon Soldiers Eat Oneonta Eggs
S-Sgt. Shane Monser, 17 Market St., has written from Luzon that when the men of his outfit went to the quartermaster department recently for their allotment of eggs, the crates issued bore the stencil of the Nearby Egg and Poultry Producers Cooperative, 7 Neahwa Place, Oneonta. The eggs had been shipped under refrigeration and tasted like "Otsego County," he wrote. Sgt. Monser was a partner in Monser Brothers' garage before leaving for service. In the Army three years, Sgt. Monser has been overseas since January 1943.

May 11 1945
Area Men and Women In the Armed Forces

F. 1/c George Barnes, son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Barnes, 30 Luther St., has returned to San Francisco, Cal., after spending a 24-day leave with his parents. He was called here by the serious illness of his father, who is now improving.

Mrs. Duel Lockwood, 15 Main St., has received word that her husband, Pfc. Durel Lockwood, an infantryman with the 103rd Division, 7th Army , in Germany, has received a knee injury and is hospitalized. He was injured April 17.

Sea. 2/c C. Sheldon Countryman, Jr., a member of a submarine crew, is spending a few days with his grandmother, Mrs. O. Countryman, Goodyear Lake.

Col. George M. Dickinson, Hartwick, is serving in the training aids section of the Army Air Forces Service Command in Italy. He entered the Army in June 1943, at Fort Niagara, and was stationed at Tammer Army Field, Calif., and Greensboro Air Field, N. C., before going overseas. Mrs. B. G. Robinson, Hartwick is his cousin, with whom he made his home before entering service. He is a graduate of Hartwick High School.

Charles Warren Welbert, 18, seaman, second class, USNR, of South Valley recently arrived at the Naval Training Station, Norfolk, Va., to undergo training for duties aboard a new destroyer of the Atlantic Fleet. He served basic training at the Naval Training center, Sampson. Son of Mr. and Mrs. Christian Welbert of South Valley, Welbert has two brothers, Christian, 26 a private, first class, in the Army and Raymond, 23, a watertender, first class, in the Navy. Before enlisting in the Navy, he was employed by the Beechnut Packing Co.

Pfc. Ethel Hanford, daughter of Mrs. Emma T. Hanford, 29 Church St., is serving in the Southwest Pacific area. Pfc. Hanford joined the WAC Feb 7, 1943, and received her basic training at Fort Oglethorpe, Ga. After basic she was sent to Camp Preston, La., where she served as clerk in the station post office. Pfc. Hanford is entitled to wear the Asiatic-Pacific campaign ribbon with the Bronze Star for service in the New Guinea campaign and the Good Conduct ribbon for one year's faithful service. She attended Davenport High School.

T/Sgt. Donald J. Rarick, 37, former Oneonta call fireman, is communications chief in one of the battalions now serving in the Burma wilds. Sgt. Rarick whose wife, Helen, lives at 16 Court St., Delhi, has "been in the Burma theater for the past two years. Prior to entering the service the Oneonta sergeant was employed as a police officer at the Scintilla plant, Sidney.

Charles Edward Stilson, 20, fireman, first class, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ornell P. Stilson of Sperry St., Unadilla is stationed at the Atlantic Fleet's motor torpedo boat squadrons training center, Melville, R.I. He received boot training at Sampson and attended service school at Gulfport Miss. Stilson is a graduate of the Unadilla Central High School and attended the University of Alabama. Upon completion of instruction at the motor torpedo boat center, Stilson will join an operating PT squadron in the Pacific.

John A. Harrington, son of Mrs. Clara Harrington, Laurens, a special battle course instructor at Camp Croft, S. C. was recently promoted to sergeant. Sgt. And Mrs. Harrington are residing at 157 Ivy S., Spartanburg, S. C. Mrs. Harrington, the former Marian Dunbar of Oneonta, is a nurse at the post hospital.

Aboard a Light Cruiser in the Pacific - Helping to make a photographic record of the actions engaged in by one of the crack cruisers of the Pacific Fleet, is Carlton E. Conro, seaman, first class, USNR son of Mr. and Mrs. Imer L. Conro, Gilboa, N.Y. Conro played on the soccer, basketball, baseball, and track teams of Gilboa Central High School, from which he was graduated in 1941.

Cooperstown - Everett Bridger, son of Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Bridger, Beech St., this village, has graduated from radio school at Bainbridge, Md., and has been transferred to Washington, D.C., for special training. He has also been promoted to seaman, first class. Seaman Bridger took boot training at Sampson Naval Base.

First in Delhi Area
Lt. Allen Johnston
Bovina Officer First Discharged By Point System
Delhi - First Delhi area service man to be discharged through the point system, 1st Lt. Allen Johnston has been ordered to report to Ft. Dix, N.J., Monday to be mustered out of the Air Forces. Former navigator on a B-17 in combat in the European theater, Lt. Johnston has 111 points, He has been in service since July 1 1940, and was overseas eight months. For several weeks he was reported missing. His plane was shot down over France, but he and part of the crew escaped with the aid of the French underground. German troops saw the plane crash and searched for surviving crew members. Lt. Johnston eluded them by climbing a tree. If it had occurred to the Nazis to look up, instead of down, he would have certainly been discovered, he said. After recuperating from his experience, he completed 30 combat missions. Returned to the United States, for several months he has been instructing in navigation at Monroe, La. Lt. Johnston is a son of Mr. and Mrs. George Johnston of Bovina.

Five in Sidney Family Serving Uncle Sam
Sidney - Four sons, a son-in-law, and 11 nephews of Mr. and Mrs. John Michaletz, 116 River St., are in service.

T/5 Orrin Michaletz, stationed in Italy, entered service Feb 28 1943, and has been overseas since September 1943. His wife, Mrs. Mary Michaletz, lives at 21 Spruce St. Oneonta.

S/Sgt Marvin Michaletz stationed in New Caledonia, has been in the Army nine years and overseas since August 1944.His wife, Mrs. Madolin Michaletz, lives in Walton.

F. 1/c Leonard Michaletz, is a member of a construction battalion, stationed in Rhode Island. Previous to enlistment in the Navy, he had served in the Hawaiian Islands for three years in the Army, from which he was honorably discharged. His wife, Mrs. May Michaletz, and daughter, Arlene, live at 73 River St., Sidney.

Pvt. John Laverne is in a hospital in Galesburg, Ill., after serving in Italy and France. He joined the Army in January 1944, returning to this country in December 1944.

EM 2/c Howard Cuyle, son-in-law of Mr. and Mrs. Michaletz, has been in the European area since August 1943. His wife, Mrs. Evangeline Cuyle, is a registered nurse in the office of Dr. R. H. Loomis, this village.

Made Corporal
Cpl. Dorothy Brown, recently promoted, is serving at Marine Corps. Headquarters, Henderson Hall, Arlington, Va. Cpl Brown, a graduate of Oneonta High School and State Teachers College, entered service in December 1943, and received her basic training at Camp LeJune, N. C.

May 15 1945
Delhi Draft Area Celebrates Victory in Europe By More to Trim Japs
End of the European war was observed Tuesday by these 17 Delaware county youths who were inducted into the armed services to help lick the Japs. Fifty-three other young men also went to Albany for pre-induction physical examination. In the picture are: Front, Lloyd Kelder, Stamford, Al Lasky, Bronx; Richard Brownell, Delhi; Robert Hafele, Delhi; Bernard Davis, Shavertown; Leslie Theis, Delhi; Harry Stevens, South Worcester. Second row, Leslie Haight, Hobart; Russell Gulnick, Hobart; Norman Odell, Meridale; Frank Ingles, New Kingston; Edwin Haight, Grand Gorge; Ernest Bourn, Delhi. Third row, Alex Hilson, Bovina; Richard Currie, Delhi; Francis Dietrich Andes; Edward Lanigan, Stamford.

May 18 1945
On Inactive Duty
Maj. Clyde Bresee To Get Discharge
Maj. Clyde F. Bresee of 341 Main St., vice president and secretary of the Oneonta Department store, has been placed on an inactive status until May 30, when he will receive his honorable discharge from the Army. Maj. Bresee returned home yesterday from Ft. Dix, N.J. He had been serving with the Air Technical Service command at Detroit, Mich. Commissioned a captain Nov 29 1942, he served with the AAF at Enid, Okla. About two and one-half years. After special training at Harvard University, Maj. Bresee was assigned to the Detroit base.

In Army, Navy
Franklin - Two sons of Mrs. Florence Rowe, are serving in the Army and the Navy. PO 2/c Alfred L. Rowe is spending a 21-day leave with his mother and his sister, Miss Idavette Rowe at the home of Mrs. Mabel Hyzer. He has been in the Navy for three years and overseas for two in the European theater. At the end of his leave, he will report to water tender's reclassification center, Brooklyn, for advanced training. His brother, Pvt. Samuel N. Howe, is with a field artillery unit in Gen. Patton's Third Army. Pvt. Rowe, who entered service June 28 1944, trained at Fort Bragg, N.C. and Fort Meade, Md., before going overseas in December.

A 60mm Infantry mortar is put into action by a demonstration crew as one of the Infantry weapons exhibited to the public during the 7th War Loan. "Here's Your Infantry" tour of 600 cities by 25 teams of Doughboys. Left is assistant gunner, Corporal George W. Steinke, of Chicago, Illinois, who holds the Silver Star for gallantry in action and the Combat Infantryman Badge for exemplary conduct in action. Right is the gunner, Technical Sergeant Charles E. Kelly, of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, holder of the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest military decoration for extraordinary heroism in action, the Silver Star, the British Military Medal and the Combat Infantryman Badge. In the rear is Private First Class Andrew Osenkowski of Detroit, Michigan.

Decatur Brothers In Army and Navy
Worcester - Mrs. Elsie Crandell, Decatur, has three sons in service. Pvt. Charles Crandell entered the Army June 15 1944, and trained at Camp Croft, S.C. He was wounded in action Dec 28 1944 and was awarded the Purple Heart. Hospitalized in England, he was back in the ranks for limited service prior to V-E day. Cpl. John Crandell enlisted Nov 23 1942, trained at Geiger field, Spokane, Wash., and is now stationed at Shepherd field, Tex. Sea. 1/c Howard J. Crandell entered service Oct 13 1944, and was stationed at Sampson for seven months. Following a furlough at home of his mother, he left May 10 for the Pacific area.

May 19 1945
Lt. R. A. Burdick Dies in Airplane Crash on Luzon
1st Lt. Raymond A. Burdick, 22, son of School Superintendent and Mrs. Andrew J. Burdick, 1908 Holland, Utica, was killed April 27 in an airplane crash on Luzon. Mr. Burdick was born on the West Branch of the Otsdawa, Otego, and graduated from Otego High School and Colgate University. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. P. L. Burdick, formerly resided at 340 Chestnut St., moving to Sauquoit in 1932. Lt. Burdick, a pilot in the Troop Ferrying Command of the Fifth Air Force had served in the Philippines since the invasion of Leyte. In February, he has been awarded the Air medal in recognition of "courageous service" with the Air Corps and on March 17 he had received his promotion to first lieutenant. Lt. Burdick enlisted in the Air Forces Reserve while in his second year in the University of Michigan in September 1942. Called to active duty in January 1943, he received preliminary training in the University of Buffalo, and pilot training at Maxwell Field, Ala. and at Clarksdale, Greenville and Jackson in April 1944. Assigned to overseas duty the following month, he was first based on New Guinea. He leaves his parents, one sister, Mrs. William Becker, Albany; his paternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Proctor L. Burdick, Sauquoit; and an uncle, Ray W. Waldron, Rochester.

July 8, 2013 note from Joyce Riedinger:
I will continue transcriptions at a later date.

May 18 1945
Area Draft Call in June To Be Heavy
May 18 1945
Veteran of Two Fronts on Leave
GM 3/c Marshall Reynolds

Friday, May 18, 1945
Studies P.T. Boats
Unadilla- F/c Charles Edward Stilson

May 19, 1945
Attending School
SC 2/c Homer S. Palmer

May 19, 1945
Two Vicinity Soldiers Die in Europe
Pfc. Kenneth Wright, Wells Bridge, Dies
Former Grand Gorge Boy Dies in Italy
Roxbury - Walter Irwin, Jr.

May 19, 1945
Wins Bronze Star
Lt. Lyndon H. Stevens
Delhi Lieutenant Wins Decoration

May 1945
Oneontan Serving in Wilds of Burma
T/Sgt. Donald J. Rarick

May 1945
Oneonta Soldier Is Missing
Pvt. Robert W. Safford

May 1945
Milford Boy Hurt on Okinawa
Sgt. George S. McCumber

May 1945
Superfortress Named for Cooperstown by Area Man
Sgt. O'Brien

May 1945
Draft Tests Scheduled

May 20 1945
Wed at St. Mary's Church Here
Pvt. and Mrs. Ralph Saggese
Pacific Veteran Takes Bride Here In Church Rites

May 20 1945
Cooperstown Soldier Wins Two Medals
1st Sgt. Joseph M. Clancy

May 20 1945
Walton Sailor Tells of Iwo Bombardment
Seaman 1/c Earl E. Seward

May 20 1945
Wins Promotion
Delhi - Hector MacPherson

May 20 1945
Oneontan Liberated
Lt. James Paul George

May 17 1945
Veteran and Daughter Help War Bond Drive
Corp. Glenford Sprague

May 17 1945
New Lisbon Boy, Hurt in Germany, Wins Promotion
Pfc. James Stafford

May 17 1945
Sgt. W.H. Timer Wins Discharge On Point Plan
Tech. Sgt. William H. Timer

May 17 1945
Pfc. Lyle J. Bliss Sends Medal Home
Pfc. Lyle J. Bliss

May 22 1945
Aircraft Carrier Survivor Recuperates at Cooperstown
Survivor of Franklin Recites Graphic Tale
Gilbert P. Abbott, quartermaster, second class ...

May 22 1945
Survivor of Franklin at Cooperstown
The quartermaster (Gilbert P. Abbott)had just started up a 50 foot hatch when there was a terrific explosion, .....

May 29 1945
Lt. L. J. Hemens
Lt. Hemens, Now in Germany; Gives Graphic Outline of GI Views on Vital Readjustment Problem Facing Vets
"Most of Us Have Found God," Says Former Oneontan
Hartwick Alumnus Decries Lack of 'Understanding'

May 29 1945
Oneontans Wed in Chicago
Miss Kelly Marries Navy Officer, Ensign Douglas C. Pearson

Sept 1945
Marine Takes Bride in Ohio
Oneonta Marine is Married to Ohio Girl in Church Rites
Miss Kelly Marries Navy Officer, Ensign Douglas C. Pearson

Brother, Sister Meet in Tokyo
Cpl. William Gravelin and his sister Lt. Mary Gravelin

Oneonta Soldier On Way to Pacific
Pfc. Gordon B. Grant

Area Men and Women In the Armed Forces
Pvt. Leonard A. Wheeler, Jr. - Pvt. Joseph J. Guerriero - Sidney, RM 2/c Gordon Badeau - Grand Gorge, S/Sgt. Louis "Rip" Hull - Staff Sgt. Clad A. Cargin - Pvt. Elbert Garlock - Cpl. Amos W. Stimpson - Maj. Clifton H. Berlinghof

Sidney Man Made Lieutenant Colonel
Carl Cook

At Radio School
Sea. 2/c John Berezansky

May 2-3 1945

Navy Pronounces Lt. John Goodrich Officially Dead
Lt. John Goodrich

Advanced in Rank - Byron M. Markle Promoted to Major
Major Byron Markle

Sgt. LaMonica Is Liberated
Sgt. Frank LaMonica

Soldier, Both Legs Shot off, Visits Kin Here
Pfc. William J. Hartshorne

Wounded Sidney Soldier Recovering
T/4 Harry L. Fancher

Barnes Brothers Serve in Europe
Pfc Maurice H. Barnes, Sgt. Marvin A. Barnes and Pvt. Sanford Barnes

On Furlough
Capt. Lothar Fieg

Oneonta Soldier Advanced in Rank
Ralph G. Wheeler

March 2 1945
Oneonta Girl Bride of Petty Officer
Miss Jean Tucci Weds Sailor at Ft. Jay Ceremony
P. O. 3/c W. H. Chamberlain

March 3 1945
Oneonta Girl Weds Hobart Man
Mrs. Leona Carson Bride of Wounded Veteran at Church Ceremony Here
Pfc. Len VanHoesen

In Hawaii
Pfc. William Weber

In Hospital
Pvt. Robert Sweeney

March 2, 1945
Former Delhi Student Dies On West Front
Pfc Marcus H. Young

March 4, 1945
Soldier Takes Bride at Rites Here
Pvt. Stuart R. Burrows

March 3, 1945
List of 10 Soldiers
Pvt. William D. Cargill; Pvt. Maurice Barrett; Pfc. Donald Hawver; Helen Susan Govern; Cpl. Robert Reinshagen; Pvt. Donald M. Woodworth; Pvt. Howard Hodges; Pfc. Ralph K. Simmons; Sea. 1/c Harold Lord, Jr..

March 7, 1945
Pay Tribute to Oneonta Women In Armed Forces
An honor roll, in tribute to Oneonta women serving their country in the Women's Army Corps, Army Nurses Corps, American Red Cross, WAVES, SPARS, and Marine Reserve, is on display in the window of the New York State Electric and Gas Corp.

Welcome Page of the Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site . . . | . . . Table of Contents Page . . . | . . . Contact Site Manager

a service of the Delaware County Historical Association located at 46549 State Highway 10, Delhi, NY 13753

Online since 1996 - created and managed by Joyce Riedinger