The Madison/Carlton/Scotch Mist Hotel and Cherry Crest Cottage
By Karen Cuccinello - firstname.lastname@example.org
The Madison boarding house, at 31 Lake Street, was erected about 1889-90 as an 1891 advertisement stated it was newly opened for business. The property was in what became the Southern end of Granthurst Park and was built and conducted by Avery C. VanDyke. There were numerous owners following the originator.
Avery was born to Patrick and Rosetta A. (Cole) VanDyke September 1852 probably in Roxbury, NY. He had at least eight siblings. On June 3, 1874 he married Elizabeth Cronk. They lived with his parents in Roxbury 1875, Stamford in 1880, leased L. A. Woodworth's boarding-house in Hunter, NY for one year starting March 1886 then back to Stamford for good when he bought 150 ares of land. He and Elizabeth had one adopted daughter Sarah and a biological daughter, 10 years younger, Rosetta/Etta.
Avery was also a farmer while running the Madison. Some of the produce was for sale and some was for fresh meals at the Madison.
In 1901 the VanDyke's sold some land to Dr. E.L.M. Bristol (owner of Chataeu de Navarre and numerous other cottages) and auctioned some more lots off in Granthurst Park and moved into their new house on Harper Street along with a billiard table. The next year they moved into the Madison for the summer season.
In 1907 Avery hired the Govern Bros. to build him a house next to the Madison at 29 Lake Street. He called it Cherry Crest, and rented it out for the season in 1908 (it was often rented out for the summer).
A sad event too place in 1912, I believe in the Madison.
November 6, 1912 (Delaware Gazette, Delhi, NY)- John Fulton of Brooklyn, one of the head officials of the Cunard Line Steamship Company, fell from the second to the first floor in the residence of Avery C. VanDyke, following an apoplectic stroke and died as a result of the injuries sustained. Mr. Fulton, who was 67 years of age, had been a guest of Mr. VanDyke every season for the past 21 years and was well known in Stamford as was Mrs. Fulton, who was making her annual visit to the Gem of the Catskills in company with her husband. Mr. Fulton had not been considered in ill health and his death comes as a great surprise to the residents of Stamford. He was returning to his sleeping apartment from the bathroom on the second floor of the house and when near the banister at the top of the stairs was seized with the attack and fell to the floor below, sustaining injuries from which he died an hour and a half later.
On March 13, 1913 Archibald Walling “A.W.” Billings, age 23, a druggist married Rosetta VanDyke, age 29, and they worked in the Madison then bought it in 1918.
On February 12, 1922 Avery C. Vandyke passed away, at his home in Stamford, after an illness of ten days with flu, which developed into bronchial pneumonia. Funeral was held at the Presbyterian church and burial in the Stamford cemetery. He leaves a wife (who died 1923) and daughter and two grandchildren.
Avery was nominated to run for Stamford Village supervisor by the Democratic party, but declined; was a village sewer commissioner and officer of the Stamford Water Company.
In September 1926 the Cherry Crest was badly damaged by fire while being occupied by the Courtade family.
In April 1946 Billings sold the Madison and three acres around it to Mrs. Brigitte C. Nichols of NYC. The Billings kept the Cherry Crest and 46 acres of land.
In 1951 the Loris Realty Corp. sold the Madison to Rosemary Kremnitzer. When she owned it the name was the Carlton House.
January 1964 brought about a new name for the Madison/Carlton, the “Scotch Mist Inn”. A group of persons headed by Mr. and Mrs. Stanley W. Mase purchased it and it was under the management of Mrs. Helen G. Neissler.
From 1967-68 it was called The College Inn at Stamford. SUNY Delhi gave hotel and restaurant management classes to students who operated the inn. Then Miss Susan Mase, third generation of the famed hotel family, assumed the management of the Scotch Mist Inn again.
In 1971 the hotel, that had been in operation for about 80 years, shut down and the contents were auctioned off .
Then it became an office building for : Prospect Dairy/Nycrest, formerly Prospect Dairy 1972-1975; Milbrands. Inc. in 1976; Wordex, Inc. and Michael A. Jacobs Licensed Insurance Broker had offices in 1982 and finally Jacobs & Jacobs Attorneys At Law 1983 until 2013 when Michael Jacobs passed away. It is now owned by Della Corte Ventures Corp. The Cherry Crest is owned by Phyllis Graves.
1855 census Roxbury- Patrick L? Vandyke 36 farmer, Rosetta A. 33 B: SchoCo, Ruth 13, Abram 11, George 10, Rachel 8, David 7, Francis 5, Avery C 2. the rest B” DelCo
1860 census Roxbury- Patrick Vandyke 44 farmer, Rosetta A 38, Ruth 18, Abram J. 16, George 15, Rachel 14, David 12, Frances M 10, Avery C.. 7, Eliza R 3, Mary J. 2 & 2 helpers
1874 - Van Dyke—Cronk-—Married, at the residence of the bride's parents, June 3, by Rev. W. H. Carr, Avery C. Van Dyke and Miss Elizabeth Cronk, both of Roxbury
1875 census Roxbury- Patrick L Vandyke 55 farmer, Rosetta A 52, Avery C. 22, Elizabeth 19 daugter in law, Eliza 18, Mary 17
1880 census Stamford- Avery VanDyke 28 farmer, Elizabeth 24, Sarah 6 adopted ,2 servants- he had 150? acres other articles said 100 acres
1882- trial juror AC Vandyke of Hobart
1883- The subscriber has fifty Ewe*, three Yearling* and three Shoats. which will be sold at private sale, between now and the first of February AVERY VAN DYKE Rose's Brook, Jan. 5,1883.
March 1886 (WJ)- Hunter - Avery Van Dyke, of Roxbury, has hired L. A. Woodworth's boarding-house, for one year.
March 1887 (WJ) -.Avery Van Dyke and family have removed from Hunter to Stamford.
1891- saw AD for Madison
1892 census Harpersfield- Avery 39 farmer, Elizabeth 36, Sarah 18, Etta 8
1892- .C. VanDyke.of the Madison a summer boarding house at Stamford, has just had a very fine engraving made of his building and grounds, to be used In advertising the plac
September 1894 (JC)- Invitation are out for the marriage of Miss Satie VanDyke, dnngllter'of A. C< VanDyke, to O, T. Hinman, Sept. 8#<
1898- A four foot stone sidewalk has been laid on Lake street from the Dewitt property to A. C. VanDyke’s home, The Madison. - A. C. VanDyke is loading potatoes at the Stamford station. The price is 35 cents a bushel
1900 census Harpersfield/Stamford Village- Avery 47 B: September 1852 boarding house keeper, Elizabeth 44 B: April 1856 M: 26y, Etta 19 B: December 1880
January 1901- Dr. E. L. M. Bristol of New York has purchased of Mrs. Avery Van Dyke all the land from his line of the new cottage, the Malson de Marsac. to the VanDusen lots. Dr. Bristol Intends to lay the land out In a picturesque landscape. All the cottages oi the east side of Lake street are to have French family names: on the west side the names of his Holland ancestry. There Is talk of an Eplscopnl chapel in memory of his mother and
June 19, 1901 , A. C. VanDyke will offer some choice building lots In Granthurst Park for sale at auction sometime in August.
March 30,1901 A. C. VanDyke moved into his new house on Harper street, Stamford, on Monda
November 2,1901 Avery Van Dyke has purchased a fine billiard table which he will place in his residence.
May 1902- A. C. VanDyke and family have moved to The Madison for the summer.
1902-03- In the town of Harpersfleld, C. V. Pock i* the nominee of the Democratic party for supervisor. Avery Van Dyke, who was named at the convention, declined
1903 - The new village board was organized Monday evening,; A. C. VanDyke sewer commissioner
1904 - Officers of the Stamford Water Company were recently elected as follows: President, A. C. VanDyke;
December 17, 1904 (HI)- Stamford. Dec. 14 - (Special)—Rosetta A. (Cole) VanDyke, widow of the late Patrick VanDyke, died at her home in Roxbury, Dec. 12, aged 83 years Her lifetime was spent in Roxbury and the near vicinity, and she had a wide acquaintance in which she was honored and beloved by all She was the mother of six children, one of whom is Avery VanDyke of this village. Burial Roxbury.
January 1905- George W. VanDyke, brother of A. C. VanDyke of Stamford, and father of Mrs. J. A. Gaul of Halcottville, died on January 9th.
1905- Olin S. Hinman of Sonth Gilboa, son in law of Avery C. VanDyke of Stamford was taken Monday with a severe attack of appendicitis which developed
August 1905- A. C. VanDyke has a flock of i barred Plymouth rock pullets five months old that are laying.
May 1908- Cherry Crest, A. C. Van Dyke’s new cottage, is completed and will be occupied by Mrs. DeZeraga.
1908- A. C. VanDyke is grading the grounds around his cottage Cherry Crest and also Improving the grounds around the Madison
1910 census Stamford Village- Avery C 57 proprietor boarding house, Elizabeth 54, Rosetta 28
June 1912 (NYT)- Mr. and Mrs. Charles F. Ayre and family of New York are occupying Cherrycrest. which they have leased for the season.
11/8/1912 OF- John Fulton, of Brooklyn, one of: the head officials of the Cunard Line Steamship company, fell from the second to the first floor in the residence of Avery C. VanDyke in Stamford on Friday night of last week, following an apoplectic stroke and died as a result of the injuries sustained.
November 6, 1912 Wednesday (Delaware Gazette, Delhi, NY)- John Fulton of Brooklyn, one of the head officials of the Cunard Line Steamship Company, fell from the second to the first floor in the residence of Avery C VanDyke in Stamford on Friday night, following an apoplectic stroke and died as a result of the injuries sustained. Mr. Fulton, who was 67 years of age, had been a guest of Mr. VanDyke every season for the past 21 years and was well known in Stamford as was Mrs. Fulton, who was making her annual visit to the Gem of the Catskills in company with her husband. Mr. Fulton had not been considered in ill health and his death comes as a great surprise to the residents of Stamford. He was returning to his sleeping apartment from the bathroom on the second floor of the house and when near the banister at the top of the stairs was seized with the attack and fell to the floor below, sustaining injuries from which he died an hour and a half later. The remains were taken to Brooklyn on Saturday, and were accompanied by Mrs. Fulton and Mr. and Mrs. E. C. Hanford of Stamford
March 1913- days. Invitations have been issued by Mr. and Mrs. A. C. VanDyke for the marriage of their daughter, Rosetta, to Archibald Walling Billings on March 25
March 13, 1913 marriage Harpersfield- Archibald Walling Billings, age 23, druggist to Rosetta VanDyke age 29 ,B: Stamford, parents Avery and Elizabeth (Cronk) VanDyke
April 22, 1915 (GM)- A. C. VanDyke has leased for the coming season his residence on Harper street to Mr. and Mrs. Hamil of New York. They had made another stop in the more eastern part of the mountains but on the advice of a friend came on to Stamford and were so well pleased that they at once closed a lease.
1915 census Harpersfield, Harper St – Avery C. 62 farmer, Elizabeth 58, Archie W. Billings 26 boarding house, Etta E. 31 dressmaker
1918- Mr. and Mrs. A. C. VanDyke have sold to their son-in-law, A. W. Billings, their property In and adjoining Granthurst Park, including the Madison and Cherry Crest Cottage
1920 census Harpersfield- Avery 66, Elizabeth 61
February 16, 1922 Thursday Windham Journal- On Sunday morning, Mr. Avery C. Vandyke passed away, at his home in Stamford, after an illness of ten days with flu, which developed into bronchial pneumonia. Funeral was held Wednesday, 11 A. M. at the Presbyterian church, Stamford. He leaves a wife and daughter and two grandchildren. Mr. Vandyke was cousin of the late editor E. M. Cole.
September 1926- Cherry Crest, a modern cottage in Granthurst Park next to the Madison, owned by A. W. Billings and occupied by the Courtade family. Stamford summer residence, was badly damaged by fire this morning. The cottage was built 19 years ago by Govern Bros. The interior was finished in chestnut trim, the doors being the same material, and each floor including the third, is of hardwood. Water damage to the building is likely to prove extensive and it is practically certain that all of the roof will have to be rebuilt including three dormers.
April 1946 – Madison sold to Mrs. Brigitte C. Nichols of NYC only 3 acres around hotel not Cherry Crest - Mr. and Mrs. A. W. Billings, owners of the property since 1918, will continue living at Cherry Crest and Mr. Billings will still be a busy man with a forty-acre farm to care for including 15 cows and a pair of horses. The Madison has always enjoyed an excellent clientele and is the outgrowth of a small business started Mar. 5, 1887 when Mr. and Mrs. Van Dyke purchased the property
1951- Loris Realty Corp, to Rosemary Kremnitzer
March 27, 1963 SMR- family dinner at Cherrycrest home of Archie W. Billings March 23 for 50th anniversary ,M: March 25, 1913- Billings came to Stamford from Stowe, VT in 1911 was employed by VanDyke and Hanford Pharmacy then associated with father in law Avery C. VanDyke in operation of Madison Hotel. Purchased hotel in 1918 and operated until 1946 now the Carlton
January 1964- A new winter and summer resort facility is opening in Stamford, to be called “Scotch Mist Inn”. A group of persona headed by Mr. and Mrs. Stanley W. Mase has purchased the former Carlton House on Lake Street, Stamford, and are planning on opening for the winter season this Thursday, January 9th. The name of the hotel has been changed to Scotch Mist Inn and it will be under the management of Mrs. Helen G. Neissler. The president of the corporation owning and running the hotel is Mrs. Rosina R. Mase; Mrs. Nessler is vice president, and the secretary trasurer is Stanley W. Mase. Mrs. Nessler has spent several summers in Stamford, comes here from Bland Brook Lodge
The Inn is located on about ten acres of land and overlooks Mt. Utsayantha and the Scotch Valley Ski area. There are approximately fifty bedrooms and three cottages. The main floor of the Inn includes lobby, fireplace lounge, TV room, card room, game room, writing room, and dining room facilities. Entertainment, movies and other activities are planned for weekends and groups. The present plan is to temporarily close “Scotch Mist" at the end of the skiing season for redecorating and renovation, and to reopen as a full time American or European plan summer and winter Inn Decoration Day weekend, with Mrs. Nessler continuing as vice president and general manager. Cold Spring Inn, a summer hotel at the other end of the village of Stamford has been in the Mase family for the past three generations and is continuing under family ownership-management. While it is not open for this skiing season it will open for its 46th season this spring and will probably be available for winter as well as summer season guests.
1964- NEW Year 'round 30 r.om hot"! ha* opening for experienced chef or female cook to have charge of kitchen. Location—Stamford, New York. Trade principally skiing and lumra-r retort business. Room and board plus salary open. Write Helen Nessler - Manager, Scotch Mist Inn, Stamford. New York
February 22, 1967 (Stamford Mirror-Recorder)- A. W. Billings - Archibald W. Billings, 77, of 20 Lake street, Stamford, died unexpectedly Feb. 18 at his home. Funeral services were conducted 2pm. Feb. 21 at the Hobart Presbyterian church with the Rev. John Stephenson, pastor, officiating. Burial will be later in Stamford cemetery. He was born Dec. 3, 1889 at Huntington, Vt., a son of Frederick P. and Nettie (Walling) Billings. He married Rosetta Van Dyke on Mar. 25, 1913 at Stamford. Mrs. Billings died May 3, 1964. He was a graduate of Albany School of Pharmacy and was the former owner and manager of the Madison Hotel, Stamford, for more than 25 years during which time he was active in the Stamford Chamber of Commerce and Stamford Hotel Association. He was a retired insurance agent and was a former associate of the Stamford Insurance Company. He had been a resident of Stamford for most of his life. He was a member of the Hobart Presbyterian church; a member of the board of trustees of the Stamford Cemetery Association and a former town of Harpersfield assessor. Surviving is a daughter, Mrs. John A. Weber, Briarcliff Manor; and a son, Van Dyke Billings, River Edge, N.J.; a sister, Mrs. Lola Douglass, Stamford; three grandsons, John Weber Jr. and Richard Weber, Briarcliff Manor, and Van Dyke Billings Jr., River Edge; two granddaughters, Miss Ann Weber, Briarcliff Manor, and Miss Evette Billings, River Edge, and nephews.
1968- COLLEGE INN IN STAMFORD will revert to private management in June, it was reported this week. The entire hotel management division will be discontinued by Delhi Ag and Tech at the end of this spring semester Over 40 students have been trained since last fall in the various fields of hotel management but, according to recent reports, officials of the State University system would like the entire program continued on the Delhi campus? College Inn, formerly Scotch Mist Inn, was leased by the state from Rexmere Corporation in 1967 after the building underwent extensive renovations Miss Susan Mase, third generation of a famed hotel family, will assume the managership of the hotel, which will be known as Scotch Mist Inn, effective June 8
1971- . Scotch Mist Inn in Stamford closed permanently
1972- PROSPECT DAIRY office personnel have moved into new quarters at the former Scotch Mist Inn on Lake street
1975- As Nycrest, formerly Prospect Dairy, expanded its operation, it left the plant office to occupy the lower level of the firehouse. Three years ago. it was moved to Lake Street, that formerly housed Scotch Mist Inn.
1976- It was announced in early June that the former Scotch Mist Inn building, which had housed the offices of the Nycrest Corp., would house the offices of Milbrands. Inc .
July 1982- Wordex, Inc., a New York state corporation has purchased property at 31 Lake Street in Stamford from Prospect Enterprises. The building, which was originally the Scotch Mist Inn has been used in recent years as an office complex. According to Paul Power, Stamford based Vice president of Wordex International, plans are being made for complete renovation of the building. Initial work will be external, with the first floor being sub-divided making room for apartments for suitable tenants. Extensive work will also be done on the second and third floors of the building. This will make them appropriate to s
1982- Michael A. Jacobs Licensed Broker Judy Lee Secretary - Treasurer “AU forms of Insurance” The Madison Building 31 Lake Street
1983- Jacobs & Jacobs Attorneys At Law Announces The Relocation OfTheir Office From 11 Railroad Avenue, Stamford, New Yoi To Enlarged Offices At The Madison Building 31 Lake Street P.O. Box 38
1983- Rosina R Collyer, 67. of 27'A Lake St, Stamford. died Wednesday, Oct. 5. at the Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, New York CRy. She was born Oct. 9, 1915, in New York City, the daughter of Francis J and Rosina (Mansfield) Ryan. She was previously married to Robert Douglas and Stanley Mase. both deceased. On Oct. 26. 1972. she was married to Jack M. Collyer, who survives. She spent most of her life in Stamford. but at various times had resided in Los Angeles. Calif.: Burlington. Vt.: Westchester and Albany. N Y.; and Miami Beach. Fla. For several years she owned and operated the former Scotch Mist Inn, Stamford.
Above Info in pdf form . . . all but one photo below is clickable