Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site


by Jay Gould - 1856


Obituary notices - Captain Abraham Gould - Aaron Hull - Gabriel North - Rev. Stephen Fenn - Hon. Roswell Hotchkiss - Rev. Daniel Shepard - James Hughston - Hon. Samuel A. Law - Daniel Gould - Col. Adam Shaver - T.H. Rathburn - Simeon McIntosh - Richard Peters - Thomas Hamilton - Major Joseph Duren - William C. Christiani - Abel Gallup - Jacob Every - Pierce Mitchel - Margery Walcott - Edmund Kelly - Abram Thomas - Gen. Orrin Griffin - Claudius Flansburgh - Levi Hanford - Abigail Marvine - Hon. Selah R. Hobbie - Frederick L. Hanford - George B. Foote - Peter Penet - William Holliday - Col. Amasa Parker - Joel T. Headley

The following are a few of the many obituaries we should have been happy to have noticed, had we the limits in the volume, and the material for their preparation. We had delayed some time for a promised notice of the Hon. Noadiah Johnston. A tribute to his memory certainly deserves a conspicuous place among the reminiscences of his native county. He spent the prime of his life in the county of Delaware, and was for many years, a distinguished member of our State and National Legislature. A sound and practical lawyer, his strong genius first exhibited itself through his eloquence at the bar. We have compiled most of these notices from files of the various county papers, and in many instances, have adopted the language of the communications.

DIED - January, 1824, CAPTAIN ABRAHAM GOULD, in the 28th year of his age, after a lingering illness. He was the only survivor of four hardy young men, who emigrated at an early day into this county, (1790) and were the first settlers in the town of Roxbury.

DIED - AARON HULL, ESQ., in the 74th year of his age. He was engaged in the sanguinary struggle of Independence, and was one of the first to encounter the hardships and privations of the wilderness.

DIED - January 2nd, 1827, GABRIEL NORTH, of Walton. A correspondent writes: "It is but due to the memory of the deceased, to say, inasmuch as it evinces the merit and estimation of his fellow citizens, that he occupied for some time, a seat on the Bench of the Common Pleas of this county - twice elected to the assembly - was a member of the electoral college in 1816, and gave the vote of the State for President and Vice-President. But Judge North deserves a more lasting and careful remembrance, for having been one of the pioneers in the settlement of Delaware County. He, with two or three of his associates, were the first settlers of Walton, to which place they emigrated from Connecticut, upwards of forty years ago. (1784).That region of country, then, was almost an unexplored wilderness, remote, by a great distance, even from the frontiers of civilized habitations. There they literally pitched their tents, for those were the first dwellings, and with the unshrinking courage, patience and confidence in Divine protection, so characteristic of the adventurous spirit transmitted by the New England pilgrims to their descendants, they, with their wives and children, sustained hardships, privations, and perils, alike interesting in their details and propitious in their results."

GIDEON FRISBEE, died in 1828, aged 71. He came to this county forty years ago, (1788), and settled upon the same farm where he resided until his death. It was the county of Montgomery, afterward the county of Otsego, and in 1797, the county of Delaware. Judge Frisbee, in the early settlement of the county, was distinguished among his fellow citizens as captain of the militia, justice of the peace, and the highest offices in the gift of the town. Not many years after the formation of the county, he was elected county treasurer, and about the same time, judge of the Common Pleas. Both of these offices he held with fidelity, until within a few years of death he resigned them.

In Harpersfield, September 26, 1833, REV. STEPHEN FENN, aged sixty-four years. Mr. Fenn, was born in 1769, in Watertown, in Connecticut. Possessing strong natural powers of mind, and a love of study, he prepared himself for college at an early age, and gradusted at Yale in 1790, and soon after commenced the preaching of the gospel. After laboring about one year in the state of New Hampshire, he came to Harpersfield in 1793. At this time the town was in its infancy, the inhabitants were few, and almost as a matter of course poor, or in limited circumstances. He was regularly ordained in January, 1794, and took pastoral charge of the church in Harpersfield. He continued in this situation until 1829, a period of thirty-six years, or about the time of his death.

At the time he emigrated into the county, there were few, if any regular ministers, (indeed, he is said to have been the first liberally educated minister that ever preached within the limits of the county,) and his services were frequently in requisition, in not only neighboring towns, but counties, and he is said to have officiated at more weddings, than any other person in the county since. He is described by those who knew him, as mild in his deportment, affable in his manners, attractive and witty, as well as grave in conversation, with a mind stored with an inexhaustible fund of humorous anecdotes, many of which were gathered from his own personal experience.

At Harpersfield, on the 28th of December, 1845, Hon. ROSWELL HOTCHKISS, in the 84th year of his age. The following article is from the columns of "The Express.

"In our obituary department today, is announced the decease of one of Delaware's oldest and most respected citizens, Hon. Roswell Hotchkiss.

"Judge Hotchkiss, died at Harpersfield, on the 28th ult., at the advanced age of 84 years. He was one of the earliest settlers of that town, having removed there, from Connecticut, the year after the close of the Revolutionary war. During all this time, a period of more than sixty years, he has sustained an important place in the community where he has lived. In the county he has held in succession, the offices of justice of the peace, sheriff and judge of the county courts; he was also a member of the convention which framed the present Constitution of this State. In his early youth Judge Hotchkiss entered the Revolutionary army, in which he served several years, and remained till the close of the war. Under the Federal government, soon after its establishment, he received the appointment of post- master, which office he held without interruption till the day of his death.

"During the greater part of his protracted life, he was an exemplary member of the Presbyterian church. Though by reason of the peculiar infirmities, he has been for some years deprived of the privilege of frequent attendance on the worship of the sanctuary, he did not lose his interest in those services, nor a disposition to contribute of his substance for their support. Nor did he wholly forget the cause of missions.

"Judge H.'s ability to use his pen and to transact business, was rather uncommon for a man of his age. Though it was perceptible that his ability for active service was gradually diminishing , yet his removal from amongst his friends leaves a sensible chasm, not only in his own family, where he was highly respected and beloved, but in the community at large. 1 "

Death of REV. DANIEL SHEPARD. - This community has been called upon to mourn the loss of one of its brightest ornaments, Rev. Daniel Shepard, A.M., Principal of the Delaware Academy. Mr. Shepard, at the close of the summer term, took a tour west, where he contracted the disease peculiar to that section of the country, congestive fever. He did not suppose his sickness was of sufficient virulence to render it necessary to stay his journey, and he proceeded on, and finally reached home some two weeks since. The disease had taken a firm hold of his system, so much so as to baffle the efforts of his physicians to conquer it, and on Saturday night last, November 29th, 1846, his spirit departed to dwell with Him who he had so delighted to honor and worship. He was 31 years of age.

Mr. Shepard has been at the head of the Delaware Academy for some ten years; and it is only necessary to point to the manner in which that institution has flourished, now having a stand among the first in the State, to show his fitness for the responsible station. It was not with him a mere matter of gain; he loved his school; he loved his pupils; he sought their welfare with untiring zeal and assiduity, not only their welfare in this world, but he aimed, while preparing them for the duties of life, to instill into their minds those great principles of religion, which would render them useful here, and prepare them for a brighter world. He took pride and satisfaction in seeing those under his care pass an honorable and creditable examination in the several pursuits of knowledge; but his interest in them did not cease there: he besought them frequently and fervently, to be preparing for the great and final Commencement day, that there too, they might pass an examination, that would be a happy one to them, an examination, which was to decide their fate, not for a few years, but for eternity. He always, before entering upon the academical duties of the day, assembled his pupils around him, implored a Divine blessing upon them, and together, worshipped around the throne of Grace; and we learn, that from the time he established morning service in the Academy, some eight years since, he has been absent from those services but on one occasion, and that was the death of his child. He was truly a pattern to follow; what he taught, he himself practiced; and his teachings and practice were those of the devoted, exemplary Christian. To do good, seemed to be the paramount object of his life; and the only desire he manifested when on his death bed to live, was, that he might do more good. We can call to mind nothing that has been started since our residence here, to advance the morals of the place, or to benefit our fellow creatures in any way, that did not find in our departed friend a hearty, assiduous and successful advocate. Devotedly attached to the communion of the Episcopal Church, in which he had taken orders, he knew no sectarianism, but looked upon all who bore the impress of Christ, of whatever name, as co-laborers in the same field; a characteristic which much enhanced his usefulness.

His funeral was attended at the Episcopal church, on Monday, by a large concourse of his friends and fellow citizens, and by a large number of his former pupils, all of whom were dressed in the habiliments of mourning. The sermon was preached by the Rev. Mr. Waters, rector of the church from Job xiv., 14: "If a man die, shall he live again?" As he eloquently portrayed the moral worth and the character of the deceased, and gave to the youth the last dying message of their late friend and preceptor, the scene was indeed a sad and affecting one. In that large assemblage, we doubt whether there was a dry eye; for all loved, and felt keenly the loss of him, whose cold remains lay before them.

His remains were temporarily placed in the family vault of Gen. Root, from whence they will be removed to the new cemetery, when completed.

Died - At his residence in the town of Sidney, on the 27th of December, 1846, James HUGHSTON, Esq., in the 74th year of his age.

Mr. Hughston was one of the first settlers of the Susquehanna Valley, and has held many stations of the public trust. He died lamented by a large circle of relatives and friends.

Died - on Tuesday, the 28th ult., 1845, at 7 1/2 o'clock P.M. at Meredith, Hon. SAMUEL A. LAW, in the 74th year of his age.

He was born in November, 1771, at Cheshire, Conn., and in 1788 entered Yale College, at which institution he graduated in 1792, with distinguished reputation as a scholar. The class of which he was a member, although small in numbers, furnished many distinguished men; among whom may be mentioned, Hon Roger M. Sherman, Judge Chapman, and Eli Whitney, of Conn., Hon. Samuel Lathrop, and Rev. Dr. T.M. Cooley, of Mass., Hon. Charles Chauncey, of Penn, Hon. James Christie Estin, for many years Chief Justice of the Island of Bermuda, and others. After pursuing a regular course of professional study in the Law School at Litchfield, Conn., he was admitted to the bar in 1795; and about the same time received honorary degrees from the Colleges of Columbia and Harvard. In 1798 he came into this county as agent for the owners of the Franklin Patent, and commenced the settlement at the place of his late residence. Some years subsequently he received the appointment of Judge of the Common Pleas, the duties of which office he continued to perform, as the writer believes, for several years. He was a member of the Congregational church, and had the consolation derived from the Christian's hope, through a long and distressing illness.

DIED - at his residence, at Kendall Green, near the city of Washington on the 3rd of January, 1848, of pulmonary disease, DANIEL GOLD, Esq., a native of Roxbury, in this county, and formerly a resident of this village.

Mr. Gold was for several years deputy clerk of the House of Assembly of this State, and for some years past and up to the time of his death, deputy clerk of the United States House of Representatives. He had also held several minor offices in this county, the duties of which he fulfilled with ability and integrity. Mr. Gold leaves an amiable wife, daughter of Hon. Amos Kendall, with two children, also an aged mother, and other relatives and friends in this county to mourn his loss.

On the announcement of the death of Mr. Gold in the House of Representatives, that body resolved to adjourn, out of respect for the deceased.

DIED - At Andes, in this county, on the 8th of June, 1852, after a brief illness, Col. ADAM SHEARER, Jr., in the 70th year of his age.

Col. Shearer was a native of Claverac, Columbia county, in this State, and came with his father's family into the town of Andes, at the age of twelve years. That town was then a comparative wilderness. As a citizen, and neighbor and friend, he lived respected and esteemed, and "his death," says our informer, "was sincerely regretted by all who enjoyed his friendship or acquaintance."

The following obituary is from the "Bloomville Mirror"

DIED - In Davenport, on the 21st ult., 1852, (at the residence of his son-in-law, T.H. Rathbun,) SIMEON DURHAM, aged 88 years 10 months, a soldier of the Revolution.

It is due to the memory of the deceased aged patriot to say, that through the many years allotted him, on earth, his deportment has ever been characterized by a consistency which the present and the future generations of our country may do well to emulate. At the age of sixteen years, near the close of the Revolution, he was in the field with the Connecticut troops three months, for which service he drew a small pension for the last few years of his life. He ever made the Bible the book of his choice, which he read with great assiduity, believing in its gospel truths and in the Abrahamic promise, "that in his seed all the families of the earth shall be blessed." He has left a numerous family of children, grandchildren and great- grandchildren, to mourn his departure.

Another: In Bloomville, on the 29th of January, 1853, Mr. Simeon McINTOSH, in the 92nd year of his age. He was one of the earliest settlers in this town.

DIED - at Harpersfield, on the 12th of February, 1853, suddenly in his chair, from an apoplectic fit, THOMAS HENDRY, aged seventy six years. In life respected, in death lamented. He was a kind neighbor, and has gone down to the grave like a "shock of corn fully ripe." His parents emigrated into this county prior to the Revolution, and he was one of the party captured in Harpersfield in the spring of 1780, the particulars of which are narrated in a previous chapter. An informant says, "He was a true patriot, and devoted his leisure hours to reading ancient and modern history, in which he was well versed."

The "Bloomville Mirror" of March 8th, 1853, contains the following obituary:

DIED - In this village, on the 6th inst., after an illness of two days, Mr. RICHARD PETERS, father of Mr. John Peters, in the 80th year of his age. He was one of the first settlers of Stamford, where he resided for some forty years. About twenty years since he removed to Onondoga county, where he remained eighteen years. About two years since he changed his residence to Preble, Cortlandt county. Last fall he came to this village, and arranged his affairs to make Bloomville his permanent residence, but death has taken him to the spirit land. While a resident of Stamford he was a member of the Methodist church of this place. He was prepared and resigned to die, and assured his friends that it would be well with him. It is only seven weeks since we recorded the death of his wife.

His funeral will take place to day at 1 o'clock P.M., at the church in this village. Sermon by Rev. D. Gibson.

From the same paper of May 17, 1853.

DIED - In Bovina, on the 7th inst., Mr. THOMAS HAMILTON, aged seventy-nine years. He has been a resident of Bovina some fity-two years.

DIED - In Middlebury, Vt., on the 8th of June, 1853, Major JOSEPH DUREN, (father of Charles W. Duren, of Bloomville, N. Y.) in his 70th year. He was a major in the war of 1812, and participated in a number of engagements, particularly at Plattsburg and others, when the passage of the lake was so sharply contested in that remarkable war. He died universally respected, and a large circle of friends mourn his loss. - Rutland Herald.

In Delhi, on the 3rd of October, 1853, WILLIAM CHARLES CHRISTIANI, aged forty-six years.

Mr. Christiani, at the time of his death, was a copyist in the county clerk's office. We examined a book of six hundred pages, executed by him, the other day, and think it the neatest and best copied book in the office. Mr. Christiani, was a German, and soon after his arrival to this country was employed in painting window shades in this village. He was respected by all who knew him. - Ed.

DIED - in Meredith, Delaware county, on the 17th December, 1853, ABEL GALLUP, brother of Ezra Gallup, Esq., of Gallupville, aged sixty-two years.

He was one of the first settlers in the town of Meredith, and had by industry and perseverance acquired a handsome property. He was much esteemed by all who knew him, for his many amiable qualities. - Schoharie Rep.

DIED - In this village, on the 12th inst., Mr. JACOB EVERY, aged eighty-four years. At the time of his death, Mr. Every was the oldest resident of this place. He came here some sixty-three years ago, and built a log house, on nearly the same spot now occupied by our printing office. There was but one other building, (Mr. N. Gregory's) in the place. He was a stirring, enterprising business man, and his presence soon made the wilderness echo with the notes of improvement. He built dams, grist mills, saw mills, clothing establishments, and dwellings, and everything prospered before him. But the tide was changed as the sun of life began to recede. His grist mill was destroyed by fire, and other reserves took from him the motive power of business. He has always resided in the village since he first moved here from Connecticut on horseback, and was respected and esteemed for his many good qualities. Peace to the ashes of this once faithful and enterprising pioneer of our village.

DIED - In this village, on the morning of the 14th inst., Mr. GEORGE BUNNELL, (merchant) aged thirty-six years, of typhoid fever. In the death of Mr. Bunnell his parents and relatives have lost a true and tried friend, and the public a valuable, capable and worthy business man. He has resided in our village about seven years, and had become endeared to our citizens for many virtues and benevolent deeds. His death has thrown around us a badge of mourning that time alone can obliterate. For the past two years he has held the office of supervisor of this town. - Mirror, Jan. 17th, 1854.

DIED - In Meredith, on the 9th January, 1854, after a long and painful disease, Mr. PIERCE MITCHELL, age seventy-two years. Mr. Mitchell was one of the oldest settlers of the town. He was a native of Connecticut, but nearly, or quite fifty years ago came to this town, where he has since resided, respected and esteemed as an honest man and valuable citizen encouraging others by his example of temperance, industry, and frugality, to persevere in the task before them. Mr. Mitchell has left numerous descendants, and a multitude of friends and acquaintances, who will long cherish and revere his memory.

DIED - At Croton, N.Y., June 16th, 1854, Mrs. MARGERY WOLCOTT, relict of Deacon Thos. Wolcott, aged 71.

Deceased was one of the earliest settlers of the place, and of her disinterested benevolence, particularly in sickness, a survivor has aptly remarked, "she had always been a mother to the neighborhood." She leaves a large circle of relatives, who, with the community, will deeply mourn her loss. For the last thirty years of her life, she was united with the church of Christ, and died as she had lived, an exemplary Christian. - Com.

DIED - In the town of Roxbury, Delaware county, at the residence of his son, Martin Kelly, EDMUND KELLY, Sen., aged eighty-seven years, five months and fifteen days.

He was born in Frederickstown, Dutchess county, on the 25th of February, 1767; he enlisted at the age of fourteen under Washington, and served under him until the close of the Revolutionary war, doing justice to his country and honor to himself.

He was married to Lovina Liscom, in July, 1787. He leaves to mourn his departure the aged partner of his bosom, nine children, eighty-four grandchildren, one hundred and two great-grandchildren, together with a large circle of friends.

Among the obituary records of 1854, perhaps none were announced with greater respect than that of ADAM THOMAS, Jr., Esq. A correspondent says:

"The sudden death of this gentleman, which occurred on Tuesday of last week, from congestion occasioned by the too free use of cold water, while heated by labor under a burning sun, is deeply lamented by his numerous friends, and his loss is felt by all as a public calamity; cut down in the prime of vigorous manhood, in the midst of an energetic, useful and upright life, the remembrance of his amiable qualities and many virtues will long continue. To his bereaved family his loss is irreparable."

One of the most prominent traits of Mr. Thomas was his enterprise and public spirit. A few weeks before his death he accompanied the author in making the preliminary surveys of a railroad route, known as the "Rosebrook and Bloomville route," to ascertain the feasibility of constructing the Syracuse and Newburgh proposed railroad, through the places mentioned. And it is due to him to state that it was mainly owing to his efforts that this survey was finally made.

DIED - In Hobart, August 31st, 1854, Gen. ORRIN GRIFFIN, aged about 50 years.

A correspondent says: "The village of Hobart has again been called to mourn the loss of one of its most active, estimable business men. Gen. Orrin Griffin died on Monday evening, the 31st ult., aged fifty years. The funeral solemnities were celebrated on Wednesday, at the Episcopal church, where an appropriate and impressive discourse was delivered by Rev. Wm. A. Curtis, to an unusually large congregation. The occasion called together many persons from adjoining villages and towns; from Bloomville, Bovina, Roxbury, Kortright and Harpersfield. The decease of General Griffin will be irreparable to his surviving widow, greatly lamented by his numerous relatives, and deeply felt by the community at large. Taken from his ordinary business, apparently in usual health, he was confined to his house only a week. His illness, a disease of the heart, was short, to be sure, but stern, unrelenting and painfully severe. Though desirous of living, it would end with a calm and decent fortitude and tranquil resignation, fervently expressing his belief in the articles of the Christian Faith, and uniting in the devotional services of the church. He had sustained, for many years, the reputation of a correct and honorable merchant, and was distinguished for his public spirit, benevolence, and charity."

DIED - At San Francisco, on the 9th of October, 1854, Mr. CLAUDIUS FLANSBURGH, aged 18 years and 8 months, of the Panama fever.

Mr. Flansburgh was a young man of high talent and a noble scholar. He was born in Harpersfield, in this county, where his parents now reside. He started for the land of gold on the 5th of Sept., full of hope and expectation; but alas! How frail his life! He was cut down in the bloom of manhood. He leaves a large circle of friends and acquaintances to mourn his early death.

In Walton, October 19th, 1854, LEVI HANFORD, a Revolutionary soldier, and it is believed the last one of the old Sugar House prisoners, in the 95th year of his age.

He was born in Norwalk, Conn., in 1759. In 1775, at the age of 16, he was enrolled in the militia, and called out for short periods of time. In the spring of 1776, he volunteered to go to New York, and while there, was sent with a detachment of men to Governor's Island in the night, and commenced the first fortification that was ever made on that now strongly fortified place. In March, 1777, he was taken prisoner by the British and Tories at Norwalk, Conn., and taken to New York and confined in the Old Sugar House prison, in the different hospitals, and on board of the prison ships, for fourteen months,

Suffering everything but death, and when exchanged, himself and one other, were all that remained of the guard of thirteen taken with him. After he left the prison, he continued in active service at different times and places, to the close of the war. In 1782, he married Mary Mead, daughter of Gen. John Mead, well known in Revolutionary times as the commander of the American lines at Horse Neck. She too, saw much of the cruelty, hardships and sufferings of our Revolutionary struggle. At one time, she was unexpectedly surrounded by British light-horse, and with a sword presented to her breast, was, with horrid oaths and imprecations, threatened with instant death, unless she revealed where her brother was secreted, who had fled, and was at the time but partially concealed, in sight, and almost within the sound of her own voice; but by her resolute firmness and intrepidity, she caused them to believe that, from the circumstances, she could not know the place of concealment, thereby saving herself and her brother. At another time the house was surrounded, and a British light-horseman struck at her twin sister, and missing her head, the sword struck the casing of the door, (an inch board,) cutting it quite in two. She was repeatedly plundered of her clothing and valuable effects. In 1808, they removed from Connecticut, into this county, with a family of nine children, all of whom are now living, and after living together for more than sixty-five years, her death, which occurred seven years since, at the age of 87, was the first death in their family. In 1809 they united with the Baptist church in Franklin, then under the pastoral care of Rev. Daniel Robertson, and to the close of their lives, lived in Christian fellowship with the church, and by their daily deportment, evinced to themselves and the world, the genuineness of their love for the religion they professed. A large circle of relatives and friends will cherish their memory, and now sympathize with the afflicted family, in that dispensation of Divine Providence, that has bereft them of an honored parent, and borne another of our Revolutionary fathers to the tomb.

At Davenport Centre, on the 28th October, ABIJAH PAINE, Esq., aged about eighty years, formerly of Meredith.

In New York City, on the 12th ult., at his residence, after a short illness, SAMUEL SHERWOOD DAVENPORT, in the 43rd year of his age. His wife, Martha Davenport, survived him only five days. Their remains were interred in the Masonic grounds, at Cypress Hill Cemetery. The deceased formerly resided in Delhi, and will still be remembered by numerous acquaintances.

In Hobart, on the 28th February, 1854, Mrs. ABIGAIL MARVINE, relict of Anthony Marvine, Esq., in the 80th year of her age.

Though not the oldest inhabitant of Hobart, yet it is not known, that any person has resided in this region so many years, or that any one came earlier, she having removed hither in 1784, with her father's family, then a child of ten years. For many years, there was neither school-house nor place of public worship. The early settlers were subject to many privations and hardships, but they were gradually surmounted, and a number of Episcopal families having removed hither from Connecticut, they were enabled to erect the church edifice now standing in Hobart, on the 4th of July, 1801. Mrs. Marvine was then 27 years old. It was the only place of public worship in the town of Stamford for some time, and is believed to be the oldest Episcopal church within a circuit of fifty miles. In 1810, Mrs. Marvine lost her husband, a lawyer of large practice for those times, and living as he died, among a rural and scattered population, leaving his widow with eight children, the eldest being only seventeen years, and the youngest about four months old. The care of providing for, and educating so large a family, together with the responsibility of closing up her husband's estate, which by his sudden death, was left in a very unsettled condition, would have been enough to discourage a female of ordinary mind; but she survived to see all her children become heads of families, and some of them grandparents. Though of Presbyterian parentage, she became afterwards a communicant in St. Peter's church, and her six sons and two daughters were baptized, and brought up in attendance on its services, so far as circumstances permitted. They are now mostly connected with the Episcopal communion, though widely scattered in different countries, and different States. But two are now remaining in Hobart; these with Mr. C. Marvine, of Delhi, are the only children now residing in the county of Delaware. The death of Mrs. Marvine was calm and peaceful, full of Christian faith and hope.

The Hon. SELAH R. HOBBIE, First-Assistant Postmaster General, died at the city of Washington, on the 23rd March, 1854, of an affection of the lungs, with which he had been for a long time afflicted. He was born

At Newburgh, New York, on th 10th of March, 1797, and died at the age of 57. While a boy, he removed with his father to Walton, in this county, and soon after, while yet quite young, was deputy clerk of the Assembly at Albany, where he became acquainted with Gen. Root, then a member of the Assembly, in the meridian of his great power and influence. At an early day, he established himself at this place, in the practice of law, where he married Julianne, eldest daughter of Gen. Root, with whom he connected in business. He ranked among the first lawyers of the Delaware bar, having an extensive and lucrative practice. As an evidence of the public appreciation of his talents and standing, he was commissioned District Attorney and Brigade Major and Inspector, the duties of which he discharged ability and success.

He held these appointments till 1826, in the fall of which year, he was elected to Congress from the counties of Delaware and Greene. At the close of his term in Congress, his numerous friends from all parts of the country, were bringing him forward as a candidate for clerk of the House of Representatives, which was superseded by his being appointed Assistant Post-master General, on the accession of Gen. Jackson to the Presidency, in 1829.

To his skill, judgment and perseverance, the Post Office Department owes much of its success for the past twenty-five years. It will long continue to feel the beneficial effects of his services. His severe and unremitting labors impaired his health; and in 1850, after the accession of Gen. Taylor, he voluntarily resigned, and retired from the office which he had held from his appointment, in 1829. Relaxation from the arduous duties of the office, and his visit to Panama, as agent of the Mail Steamship Company, to regulate and improve our postal system in that quarter, somewhat restored him; and on President Pierce coming into office, he yielded to the request of friends, and consented to resume his duties of First Assistant Post-master General. His strength however, impaired by pulmonary disease, was unequal to the labors of the position, and he soon sunk under them. He was prompt in the dispatch of business, easy, frank, and candid in his intercourse, and these qualities, added to his extensive knowledge, made him a most popular public officer. He was universally esteemed. As a husband and father he was devoted, kind and affectionate. He was beloved, and exemplary in all the relations of life. In his death the national service has sustained a great loss, society an ornament, and mankind a friend.

At Alexandria, (Va.,) on the 21st of November, 1854, Mr. FREDERICK D. HANFORD, of Hobart, N.Y., aged thirty-two years. For several years he was principal of the Hobart Seminary. His remains have been deposited in the burial ground of the Episcopal church in Hobart.

Mr. Hanford was one of the earliest graduates of the State Normal School, from Delaware county. Returning to the town of Stamford, he established the Hobart Seminary, and during his connection with that institution it maintained a high reputation for thoroughness of instruction among the neighboring seminaries. His close attention to the interests of his students and the school, was doubtless one of the principal causes of the early termination of his useful life by consumption.

DIED In Stamford, on the 21st of August, 1854, of consumption, BAILEY FOOTE, son of George B. Foote, in the twentieth year of his age.

He was a young man of stern integrity, and promised to make a man of worth in the town where he lived, and was distinguished for the many virtues he possessed. He was always found casting his influence on the side of virtue. During an illness of four months, he suffered severely from weakness; he was never heard to complain, but exhibited that cheerfulness of character which so naturally belonged to him. When told by the writer of this communication that, in all probability, they soon must part, tears rolled from his eyes for a few moments, and then, with the spirit of a man, he said it was all right, or it would not be so. The day of his death will long be remembered. He said he felt his time was short, and conversed about his final departure with as much composure as if he was preparing for an earthly journey.

He wished to see the pastor that had visited him during his illness, and requested him to speak from these words: "Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth." There is a power in religion that sheds a brightness over the hour of death [Delaware Gazette.]

DIED In Andes, March 1st, 1855, PETER PENET, aged sixty years. Mr. Penet, was one of the oldest settlers of the town of Andes, and was a quiet and industrious citizen. The confidence and esteem of his townsmen is shown, in the fact that he has been annually elected town-clerk of that town for the last twenty- five years.

WILLIAM HOLLIDAY, aged one hundred and four years, one month and twenty days, died at Colchester, in this county, on the 21st of February last. Mr. Holliday was born in the town of Rye, Westchester county, in this State, on the 26th of December, 1750. He removed to the town of Harpersfield, in this county, in 1791, where he remained until 1795. He then removed to Colchester, where he has since resided. At the time he came to this county, he had to place his movables on the back of horses, there being no carriage-roads. He assisted in making the first ten miles of road ever made in this county, which was at the head of the West Branch of the Delaware river. Where the village of Delhi now stands, there was but one log hut. Mr. Holliday was a professor of religion, and was a member of the Baptist church for seventy-six years, and for fifty-six years a deacon. He had thirteen children, eighty grandchildren, one hundred and fifty-one great-grandchildren, and seventeen great-great-grandchildren total 261.

There are very few, if any persons now alive, who were in the county at the time Mr. Holliday came into it, and he has after outliving the generations that came on the stage with him, been gathered to those that went before him.

The sudden decease of Col. AMASA PARKER, at his residence in this village, on the 1st of March, 1855, in full health and vigor of mind, though at an advanced age, has cast a gloom over this community, and left a void that will not soon be filled.

He was born at Washington, Litchfield county, Connecticut, October 28th, 1784, and was a graduate of Yale College. He attended the law school at Litchfield, and finished his studies with Peter Van Schaick, of Kinderhook. He came to Delhi in 1812, where he practised his profession till his death. He was a partner of Hon. Samuel Sherwood from 1812 to 1827, when the latter removed to New York. He then entered into copartnership with his nephew, Amasa J. Parker, Esq., now one of the Justices of the Supreme Court of this State. After the promotion of Judge Parker to the bench, he connected himself in business with his son, Robert Parker, with whom he continued through life. He was Surrogate of this county about nine years, and for a long time Master in Chancery. He devoted his whole time to his profession, made that his principal business, and closed a professional career of uncommon success, at the mature age of seventy.

Though his death was sudden, he was not unprepared. He had set his house in order. Those who knew him, will remember him as he looked in robust health. Few men who have died at his age, have exhibited so little of decay of body or mind.

He was proverbially faithful to his clients, courteous to his adversaries, vigilant in the preparation, and able in the trial of causes. He belonged to the old school of lawyers, and though averse to radical changes in the practice made by the "The Revised Statutes" and "The Code of Procedure," he profoundly studied and mastered them.

As a citizen, he was just, without reproach, and highly esteemed as a neighbor. Indeed, in all the relations of life, he faithfully discharged his duties to all men, kindred and strangers. For many years he had been a prominent member of the Episcopal church.

Such men are not only ornaments, but pillars of society. There like is not often found - their loss is irreparable.


It is both interesting and instructive to read the biographics of those who have, by their own energies, achieved success in this world; appealing as they do, to the hopes and aspirations of the human heart, and teaching the way and manner through which that success has been secured. How many struggling along an adverse path, have been aroused and cheered to renewed efforts by the examples set before them in such lives, and who have themselves in the end attained eminence in learning from the healthy influence which such examples inspire! The incidents may be few or crowded, vivid or otherwise; still, if they record the triumph of talent and virtue, they are of great value, and should be sought after and studied.

Few memoirs will, we apprehend, afford more interest and instruction, than that of the eminent jurist whose name heads this article.

Although as citizens of Delaware county, we claim him with pride as our fellow citizen, yet he was born in Connecticut, at Sharon, in the parish of Ellsworth, and county of Litchfield. The region of his birth-place is secluded from the busy world, a spot of sterile hillsides and stony valleys, but nourishing of a race of men, trained in habits of industry, and full of the energy and perseverance which never fail to make way through the difficulties of life. Many are the distinguished men which Litchfield county has produced, men who have trod the path of eminence with a firm step and courageous heart.

The ancestors of Judge Parker were of the old Puritan blood of New England, and residents of the western part of Connecticut for successive generations. Amasa Parker, and Thomas Fenn, his paternal and maternal grandfathers, were soldiers of the Revolution, and widely respected for the sterling virtues of their character; the latter filling various offices of public trust. He was for thirty-eight successive sessions a member of the State legislature. Both were residents throughout their lives of the county of Litchfield, of the above State.

The subject of our memoir was the eldest son of the Rev. Daniel Parker, who was pastor for almost twenty years of the Congregational church of Ellsworth, Connecticut. He was a graduate of Yale College; married Anna, the daughter of the above-mentioned Thomas Fenn; and during the time he lived at Ellsworth, established and took charge of an academy which enjoyed a high reputation, and where many men who subsequently became distinguished, were educated. In 1816, he removed to Greenville, Greene county, New York, and the academy there was placed in his charge. It was under him that the subject of our sketch, then only nine years of age, commenced the study of Latin, continuing in the academy two years. He then went to the Hudson Academy for the same period, and afterwards for three years in the city of New York.

Eager for information, the son received from the father the most devoted educational information. He obtained from him the best instructors in the country; and it was thus that the first foundations of that fine classical learning and taste for belles-lettres, that, independently of his professional attainments, distinguish Judge Parker, were laid. Such was his diligence, that at the age of sixteen he had completed the usual course of collegiate study. At the same immature age, May, 1823, he was made the principal of the Hudson Academy, and continued in that capacity for four years.

Under his supervision, the academy was placed in a most prosperous condition, and attained a wide reputation; and such was his youth, that many of his pupils, since distinguished, were older than himself. He was not, up to that time a college graduate; but in consequence of a rival academy adducing this as an objection to the young principal, he in July, 1825, caused himself to be examined at Union College for the entire collegiate course. He passed the ordeal triumphantly, graduated with the senior class, and obtained his degree of Bachelor of Arts; and afterwards in due course received the degree of Master of Arts.

After graduating, he resumed his duty at the academy; and during the latter portion of his career here, he entered the office of the present Judge John W. Edmonds, then of Hudson, to prosecute the study of the law.

In the spring of 1827 he resigned his trust as principal of the Hudson Academy, and at the age of twenty, removed to Delhi, where his uncle Col. Amasa Parker, a lawyer of distinction, was practising his profession. He entered the office of his uncle, finished his studies, and in 1828, at the age of twenty-one, was admitted to the bar. He then became a partner of his uncle, and for fifteen years a very large practice engaged the attention of the firm.

The professional business of these two gentlemen is said to have been the most extensive country practice in the State, and the most systematically conducted. Col. Amasa Parker was a lawyer of thorough reading, long experience, and proverbial integrity. He preferred however, to leave his partner to discharge the duty of trying and arguing causes. This division of labor could not fail to give to the subject of this memoir great experience in the various courts. It is said that he had tried more causes at the circuits than any young man of his age in the State at the time of his elevation to the bench.

We recollect seeing him in attendance at one of the Ulster circuits, where he was engaged as counsel in every cause tried, the court lasting two weeks. His opponent throughout, was the veteran of the bar from Poughkeepsie, General Swift. The circuits of Ulster were then held by Judge Ruggles, late a member of the Court of Appeals: and for years it seemed a matter of course, if one of the parties employed as counsel at that circuit either Mr. Parker or General Swift, the other of the two was immediately engaged on the opposite side.

Judge Parker was always distinguished for the energy of his character, and the promptitude of his business habits. It was a rule of his office that no business letter should remain on the table unanswered over a single return of mail. He had great facility in the dispatch of business, and with his untiring industry and application, and the admirable system adopted and enforced in his law-office, the amount of business was large as it was various and diversified in character.

It was not only as a lawyer, however, that Judge Parker became known to the public. He was called into the political arena. In the fall of 1833, he was elected a democratic member of the State legislature, and was placed on the committee of ways and means, and in other prominent situations, during the ensuing session. In the subsequent year, being then twenty-seven years old, he was elected by the legislature a Regent of the University; younger than any one before, or since that time, made a member of that distinguished body.

At twenty-nine, he was elected without opposition to the Congress, from the counties of Broome and Delaware, then forming a congressional district. During his term he acted upon important committees, and addressed the House upon many important subjects, amongst which were the Mississippi election case, the Public Lands, and the Cilley Duel, preserved in the columns of the "Congressional Globe." All his speeches were of a high order, and upon the former subject, which was of a very intricate kind, his effort called out the praises of both parties, as most masterly, and shedding the clearest light upon it.

In 1839, he was nominated as senator in the Third Senatorial District of this State. Great excitement prevailed; as a successor to Nathaniel P. Tallmadge, in the Senate of the United States, was to be chosen by the ensuing legislature. About fifty thousand votes were cast. In consequence of the unwonted exertions used, the Whig candidate, Gen. Root, prevailed, although by a majority of only a few votes.

The five years that followed, were employed by Mr. Parker in the energetic and laborious practice of his profession. At the end of that time, in 1844, he was appointed Circuit Judge of the third Circuit, when he removed to Albany, where he has continued to reside until the present time.

The duties of this distinguished post were most arduous, combining, as they did, those of a judge of the Circuit, and vice-chancellor of the Court of Equity. To them he devoted, untiringly, the best energies of his mind, and met in an unfaltering manner his great responsibilities.

The same promptness and system which distinguished him as a lawyer, characterized him as a judge, and enabled him to dispose of an almost incredible amount of business.

In 1845, he held the Delaware Circuit, and no greater responsibility was ever cast upon a judge, than fell to the lot of Judge Parker, in holding that court. The county had been declared in a state of insurrection, (see chapter XI.) by the governor, in consequence of the violent resistance made to the laws. Assemblages numbering two or three hundred persons, armed and disguised as Indians, had appeared in different parts of the county, and set the law and its officers at defiance. Under-sheriff Steele had been shot down while engaged in the discharge of an official duty, under the painful circumstances already fully narrated. The governor had therefore found it necessary to call into service a military force, which had been maintained at the county seat for several weeks, by whose aid arrests had been made, and public order maintained.

The jail of the county, and two temporary jails, had been filled with prisoners, charged with every grade of crime, from murder down to misdemeanor. It was under such a state of things, and in the midst of an excited community, divided in opinion as to the causes which had led to the commission of such crimes, that Judge Parker opened the Court of Oyer and Terminer. He found over one hundred prisoners confined. He announced, that he should continue court until every indictment was tried, and the jails all cleared. The Attorney General, aided by Samuel Sherwood, Esq., assisted the District on the part of the people, and prisoners were defended by other distinguished counsel. The trials progressed one by one, with untiring perseverance; and at the end of the third week, the jails were cleared, every case having been disposed of, by conviction or otherwise. Two were sentenced to death, thirteen to imprisonment in the State prison2, some for life, and others for a less period; and for the lighter offences, fines were in many cases imposed. The course pursued by Judge Parker, met with general approbation. While the anti-renters who had openly violated the laws, felt that the hand of justice had fallen heavily upon them, and were satisfied that the law could no longer be resisted with impunity, the more intelligent among them, were also ready frankly to acknowledge, that justice had been tempered with mercy.

After the adjournment of the court, the military force was discharged, peace was restored, and in no instance, has resistance to process since occurred in that county.

In the summer of 1846, Geneva College conferred the degree of L.L.D. upon him, a distinction eminently due to his well known attainments as a scholar and jurist.

In the same year, his term of office ended with the constitution then existing and under the present one, adopted at that time, he was elected a justice of the Supreme Court of the State of New York, the duties of which office he continued to discharge until the expiration of the term, with distinguished ability. It was conferred upon him by votes of not only his only party, but of a large number upon the opposite side, the suffrages being given as a token of the confidence and respect entertained for him in the Third Judicial District, from which he was elected.

It has been frequently remarked of him, that he has never since his accession to the bench, either as Circuit or Supreme Court Judge, failed to be present to open court at the precise minute appointed. Not a moment of time was thus lost; the members of the bar, and all others attending court, being expected, and thus by example, soon learned to practise similar promptness. A writer in describing one of his circuits, says, "he accomplishes an infinity of business with the precision of machinery."

At the organization of the Law Department of the University of Albany, in 1851, Judge Parker was appointed one of its professors, and since that time, has devoted every year a portion of time to lecturing before that department. Cooperating with the other able professors associated with him, Judge Harris, and Professor Dean, the law school has been constantly increasing in numbers, and has now become one of the most flourishing institutions in the country. The thoroughness of its instruction, and the high standard of excellence demanded for its graduates, have already given to this department of the University a distinguished reputation, and made its impress upon the character of the profession. Its students are found settling in all the northern, western, and most of the southern States.

Judge Parker has recently commenced the publication of a series of Criminal Reports, of which the first volume only, has yet been published. It is said the second volume is now in press.

Such is the career of one who received no patrimony but his education, and had no aids but his own energies and talents. How he has succeeded, this "plain unvarnished" memoir relates. It furnishes the loftiest evidence of the mighty force of industry, perseverance and integrity, in elevating those who practise those severe but benign virtues.

As a public speaker, Judge Parker is of superior excellence. His voice is melodious and well cultivated, his bearing is dignified, his language is fluent and well chosen, and his ideas are clear and abundant. In extemporaneous speaking, he has few equals in the State. Always ready to meet an occasion, his off-hand powers of addressing an assemblage are remarkable. In circumstances where he might well have been at fault, surrounded with the loftiest and most dignified in the land, with celebrated statesmen and orators, we have known him called out without a moment's notice to address the company and have witnessed the triumph of his eloquence.

His speech at Dunkirk, at the celebration of the New York and Erie Railroad completion, with President Fillmore, Mr. Webster, Mr. Crittenden, and others of the Cabinet, a host of dignitaries and gentlemen from all parts of the State, around him, and his remarks at the Webster dinner, in Albany, in June last, and at the Litchfield celebration, exhibited conclusively his powers in this respect.

In 1853, Judge Parker availed himself of an opportunity afforded him by a summer vacation, to make a hasty visit to Europe, in pursuit of the advantages to be derived from observation, and the benefits of the relaxation of mental labor. In a hurried term of a little over two months, he was enabled, by the modern facilities of traveling, to visit different parts of Great Britain and Ireland, and a large portion of Continental Europe. Judge Parker was well received by the members of his profession, and as the guest of the Law Reform Association of England, at their annual dinner, Lord Brougham presiding, was called upon to explain the results of the recent law reforms made in this State, and particularly of the uniting of law and equity powers in the same tribunal. The favorable impression made by Judge Parker, secured to him many tokens of respect, and the kindest civilities from the bench and the bar.

The term of Judge Parker as Justice of the Supreme Court being about to expire, he was again, in September, 1855, unanimously put in nomination for reelection, by the democratic convention of his district, at which both sections of that party were fully represented. In the unsettled state of political affairs, two other candidates were also nominated by other parties for the same office. The result of the canvass showed the election of Judge Gould, the worthy candidate of the American (K.N.) Party, by a little over one thousand majority. The result was equally a surprise to all parties: but on learning the comparative strength of political parties in the district, it was plain that no different result could reasonably have been anticipated. Judge Parker received at the election the undivided and cordial support of both sections of his own party, the almost undivided support of the members of the bar of the district, and of the leading and intelligent men of all parties. The result showed he was largely in advance of his ticket in every county in his district. He received four or five thousand more votes than any other candidate running on the same ticket. If he had been beaten by a party vote, the majority of his successful competitor would have been about six thousand. It is complimentary to the personal character of Judge Parker, that in Albany, the city of his residence, he was so generally voted for, without distinction of party, that he received a majority of nearly fifteen hundred.

In the peculiar state of parties, and with reference to the overwhelming strength in his district of the successful party, the result of the election is a proud personal triumph to Judge Parker. The expressions of the public press of different parties, in every portion of the State, are full of regret for the result, and have led to the rediscussion of the question, how far the system of electing the judiciary can be safely relied upon, in times of great political excitement.

To Judge Parker, personally, a release from the cares and labors of the Bench, and an opportunity of resuming for a time, his professional pursuits, can bring no regrets. He will gladly avail himself of the repose it affords him, after so many years of severe intellectual and physical toil, a repose that will only give additional energy to the strength and vigor of middle age.

On his retirement from the bench, the following correspondence took place between the subject of this memoir and the Albany bar.

As a man and a citizen, Judge Parker has won the esteem and respect of all who know him. His temper is singularly equable and amiable, his heart kind and capacious, his disposition frank, manly and generous. His person is dignified, his countenance beaming with a smile, and his manners, polished in the best society, are easy, bland and courteous.

Shortly after Judge Parker had retired from the bench, he received a communication from a large number of the most distinguished members of the bar, of the city of Albany, who, to use their own expression, "entertaining a high regard for the ability, courtesy, and impartiality evinced by you, in the discharge of your late judicial duties, are desirous of offering you, on your retirement from the bench, some expression of their respect and appreciation.

"They therefore earnestly request, that you permit your bust to be sculptured, and when completed, deposited in the law department of the State Library."

In his reply, acceding to so flattering an expression of esteem, Judge Parker says: "The term of my judicial service, has been one of great interest in the jurisprudence of the State. It has covered the period of transition from an old to a new system of practice, a new organization of the courts, and the uniting of both law and equity powers in the same tribunal. It might well be supposed such radical changes would greatly increase the labors of the judiciary, and embarrass, for a time at least, the practitioners at the bar. It was only by mutual effort, that the difficulties could be overcome, and the progress of the public business facilitated. In earnestly endeavoring, without stint of toil, to give the utmost efficiency to our present system, and to dispatch promptly the business of the courts, I have never ceased to be sensible how much my labors were lightened by the assiduity and learning of the bar, and rendered agreeable by the kindness and courtesy, which have uniformly characterized your whole intercourse with me.

"I shall resume my place among you, justly proud of my professional associations, and enjoying, though with different relations, the unchanged sentiments of personal respect and regard with which, I am,
"Very truly, your friend,
"Amasa J. Parker.
"To Messrs. P. Gansevoort,
John H. Reynolds,
C.M. Jenkins,
John K. Porters, and others of the Albany bar."

HON. JOEL T. HEADLEY. This distinguished writer, and the present Secretary of State, was born at Walton, Delaware county, December 30, 1814. His father, the Rev. Mr. Headley, was one of the first Presbyterian ministers in the county, and for some years preached in Walton. He had seven children, of which the subject was the fourth; three of them were girls, and four boys. The two eldest daughters are now dead. The oldest, Eliza, married a Rev. Mr. Brown, a descendant of President Edwards, the second, Catharine, married Rev. Alvah Selly, and died some years since in Gorham, Ontario county, in this State.

The eldest son died about a year since, at St. Thomas, in the West Indies, whither he had gone for his health. The next daughter, Irene, who was younger than the subject of the present sketch, married Wm. Burr, of New York city, and is now living in Pontiac, Michigan. The next brother, younger, Phineas C., is a clergyman, and is now settled in Sandwich, Mass. The youngest son, Wm. S., is a physician, now practising his profession in Owego, Tioga county.

Joel entered Union College, and graduated in 1839, and having fixed upon theology as his future sphere, studied at Auburn, where he prepared himself for the important duties of the ministry. Having perfected himself in the theoretical part, and by dint of application, stored his mind with those important truths which were to prove the foundation of his future course, he entered the ministry, and preached for a short time at Stockbridge, Berkshire county, Mass. Possessing naturally a weak constitution, it is not strange, that it should have proved unable to sustain and bear up under the labors of so vigorous and active a mind, and consequently, when he entered the practical field of his profession, he found his constitution and health rapidly giving way, warning him of the danger of yielding himself up to a sedentary employment.

He now resolved to travel, and mark out in his mind a plan of travel in foreign countries, that would occupy a term of years. His health, however, becoming worse rather than better, he did not carry out his original intentions, but hastened his return to America. Arriving in Italy, he spent several months on that classic soil, his mind drinking in the luxuriant beauties of that far-famed clime, while his vivid imagination was permitted to expand, beneath those ideal beauties, which afterwards so conspicuously distinguished his writings.

Passing out of Italy, he travelled through Switzerland, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium and France, thence passed over into England, and Wales, and finally returned home before the end of the second year.

The first publication of Mr. Headley, was a translation from the German, which appeared anonymously in 1844. The succeeding year, 1845, he published letters from Italy, Holland, "Alps and the Rhine." In 1846, "Napoleon and his Marshals," and "The Sacred Mountains." These books at once attained a wide circulation, and acquired a popularity for their author seldom equalled. A distinguished reviewer thus comments:

"The advent of a popular book, is about as evident, from certain attending signs, as the appearance of a comet among the steady and familiar bodies of the solar system. On the occurrence of the heavenly phenomenon, astronomers are busy in the investigation of its appearance and laws; the learned professor wheels out his long telescope, and gazes the livelong night at the misty thing he has espied in one of the constellations. His accurate pupil turns to his books, to determine the element of its orbit, and whether it is Enckle's or Halley's: men stand in crowds watching its flight from star to star journals of science, and heralds of news, spread authentic information of its progress, rate of velocity, and time of disappearance; and he who had not seen the celestial wonder, would know that it had actually appeared. It was somewhat so with the terrestrial phenomenon. As soon as it is fairly 'out' in the shape of letters from abroad, a romance, tragedy, a volume of poetry, or biography of warriors, literary circles are busy in the discussion of its merits, according to the established rules of criticism. Reviews, journals, magazines, quarterlies, and penny papers, are filled with extracts and comments. Circulating libraries of 'choice reading' circulate with new velocity there is a buzz in the saloons of Washington or Saratoga at the issue of 'Napoleon and his Marshals.' The bookseller, reduced to his 'last copy,' 'assures his eager customers 'that a new edition is forthcoming,' and a man a thousand miles from New York or Boston, is aware that a new star is blazing in the literary world. It would be impossible in the limits of a volume to sum up the entire comments of the press."

One editor calls this work 'the most deeply interesting and widely popular book of the season;" another calls it "a philosophical estimate of the French Revolution." One praises the "August title," and the "portraits of the marshals," and says, "if there is such a thing as being born for a particular profession, Mr. Headley was born for a military commander." One discourses in this style: "He is an ardent admirer of Napoleon, worshipping him with almost poetical fervor, and had he been a follower of the great soldier in the days of glory, he would have loved him with adoration." And yet another says: "If now and then a voice has been raised in another strain, it has been lost in the din of general approbation." But the popular pen of Headley could not remain listless amidst such general admiration and applause; and "Washington and his Generals," "Sacred Scenes and Characters of Life," "Life of Cromwell," "Adirondack, or Life in the Woods," "Old Guard," "Scott and Jackson," and "Last War with England," appeared at intervals. He also published a volume of "Miscellanies," and one of "Sketches," to prevent the circulation of two books with these titles, which a printer in New York had published under his name. Nor ought we to omit mention that Mr. Headley has now the "Life of Washington," in press.

At the election of 1855, Mr. Headley was put in nomination by the American party for Secretary of State, and his universal popularity demonstrated, by an overwhelming majority. He purchased a country seat some years since on the banks of the Hudson, a short distance above the Highlands, known as "Cedar Lawn," where he spends a portion of the season in his congenial occupation.

Mr. Headley is rather tall and slim in stature, while his manners are attractive and agreeable, exceedingly obliging, and his conversation fascinating and refined, while it is unpretending. We esteem him as a sincere friend, while we would do honor to his merit.

End of Chapter XVI


  1. "Errata - In our obituary notice of the death of Judge Hotchkiss, last week, we were in error in saying Judge Hotchkiss was a member of the Convention of 1821. Gen Root, and Dr. Robert Clark, then of Stamford, were the members from Delaware, in the convention which framed the present Constitution. Judge Hotchkiss, and Elias Osborn, then of Franklin, were members of the convention of 1801, which amended the Constitution in respect to the relative power of the president and members of the Council of Appointment, and in limiting the number of senators and members of Assembly."
  2. See note, 1 Parker's Criminal Reports, published in 1845.

Index to History of Delaware County by Jay Gould

Welcome Page of the Delaware County NY Genealogy and History Site
a service of the Delaware County Historical Association located at 46549 State Highway 10, Delhi, NY 13753

Online since 1996 - created and managed by Joyce Riedinger