Submitted by Gloria Rutulante
from the Catskill Mt. News, March 4, 2008
60 Years Ago - Fri., Feb. 20, 1948
Three couples celebrate wedding anniversaries - A dinner party was given at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Nelson B. Kelly Wednesday evening in Halcottville, to celebrate the wedding anniversaries of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Harrington, their 56th Jan. 30; Mr. and Mrs. Frank Dean, their 56th Feb 12 and Mr. and Mrs. Amos Sanford, their 63rd Feb. 11.
(From the Stamford Mirror Recorder of December, 1932) --Don Michel
Popular Stamford Girl Weds Charles Michel of Whitesboro, N.Y. A quiet, but very pretty wedding took place Thursday evening, December 15, at 8 o'clock, in Grace Episcopal Church, Stamford, when Helen L., youngest daughter of Mrs. Ella Laux became the bride of Mr. Charles Michel of Whitesboro, N.Y. The Rev. Clarence Jones, rector of St. John's Episcopal Church, of Delhi, performed the ceremony which was witnessed by about twenty relatives. The bride was becomingly attired in a dress of gold cloth trimmed in brown, with matching accessories and wore a corsage of pink rosebuds. Their only attendants were Mr. and Mrs. Ralph A Hoyt of Hobart, sister and brother-in-law of the bride. Mrs. Hoyt's dress was a brown crepe and she wore a corsage of sweet peas. The bride attended Stamford Seminary, is a graduate of Perry's Business School and for the past two years has been employed in the office at the National Dairy Company at Stamford. The groom, a graduate of Whitesboro High School, is an employee of the
Associated Gas and Electric Company and is at present located at Liberty, N.Y. Both of these young people have many friends in Stamford and elsewhere who extend congratulations and best wishes.
Heart Attack Fatal to Earl J. Hillis
from From the Oneonta Star, April 18, 1941 --Don Michel
Earl J. Hillis, salesman for the Oneonta Sales Co., died of a sudden heart attack about 6 last night at his home, 40 Grove Street. He was 46 in November. The funeral will be held at 2 Sunday at the Bookhout Funeral Home, 357 Main Street, with Dr. Boyd McCleary, First Presbyterian pastor, officiating, and burial in Locust Hill Cemetery, Hobart. Mr. Hillis was born at Hobart, son of John O. and Belle (Kilpatrick) Hillis and he was married to Miss Grace Laux at Stamford June 26, 1924. They came to Oneonta about 14 years ago. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church at Hobart. Surviving are: Mrs. Hillis; a sister, Mrs. W. Irving Rowland of 44 Church Street; an aunt, Mrs. Anna K. Cowan of Hobart; an uncle, Robert G. Kilpatrick of Astoria, L. I., and several cousins. They will have the sympathy of many friends.
Submitted by Evelyn Henderson O'Connell
From Stamford Mirror, Sept 4, 1918
SAW OWN SON
Deposit Boy, Now in Service, Seen in Exhibition of "Pershing's Crusaders"
While watching a presentation of "Pershing's Crusaders" at a picture theatre in the city of Binghamton recently, Mr. and Mrs. Charles T. Smith of Deposit had the experience of seeing their son, Private Harlie Smith, who was killed in action two months ago, taking a prominent part in the picture. The scene in which the young man appeared was a news picture showing American boys about to start for the front being baptised by an army chaplain. Several boys had appeared in the picture and been baptised when, to the great surprise of the parents, they saw their own son appear and undergo the sacred rite.
* * *
From Stamford Mirror, October 1910
Fred Cook has the frame erected for a second dwelling house on South street, on the land purchased by him last winter from J. C. VanDyke. [Stamford Village?]
* * *
From Stamford Mirror, September 12 or 13 1910
Rev. E. G. Morse, who has been the leader and conductor of the Stamford band during the summer and winter, has departed for other fields.
* * *
From Stamford Mirror, October or November 1910
The marriage of Lewis A. Winand and Miss Theresia Husted, occurred in the Sheldon Memorial chapel of St. John's Episcopal church, Delhi, Thursday at 1 o'clock a.m., the Rev. G. H. P. Grout, rector of the church, officiating. Mr. and Mrs. Winand left on the 11:00 a. m. train for Callicoon where they will make their future home, Mr. Winand having purchased a meat market business in that town. Miss Husted was the second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. G. C. Husted of Bloomville.
Submitted by Evelyn Henderson O'Connell
From Walton Reporter, Saturday, April 11, 1903
MOTHER AND BABE CARRIED OUT
House of James Henderson Narrowly Escapes Destruction by Fire
From our East Meredith Correspondent
Last Thursday James Henderson's house was found to be on fire by Mrs. Bolles, who is working there. Help was immediately summoned by telephone, but for a time there seemed little hope of saving the house, as the fire was working between the floor and plaster. Some of the furniture was carried out and Mrs. Henderson and her young son were carried to the barn and later to neighbor Doonan's. The fire was finally gotten under control and the house saved. Mr. Henderson was away from home at the time.
Submitted by John Hutchins
The Monticello Express, 9 March 1911
Another Golden Wedding
Mr. and Mrs. Robert Henderson Reach the Fiftieth Anniversary of their Married Life
Mr. and Mrs. Robert Henderson very quietly and unostentatiously slipped through the fiftieth anniversary of their marriage, last Friday, March 3. A number of relatives and old time friends who had the date in mind called upon them, and tendered their congratulations. Letters were also written them by their children and grand-children. On account of Mrs. Henderson's delicate health it was thought prudent not to attempt a reception. When the warmer weather comes, however, the daughters will see that the event is properly celebrated by the children and those friends who have known them many years. If all their friends are to be included the major part of the population of the town will be involved.
Mr. and Mrs. Henderson have spent all of their married life in this county, and during nearly all of that time Monticello was their home. Here, they have led industrious, frugal, honest and serviceable lives. Here their children were born, and here two of them await the resurrection. Here they expect to end their own days. It is therefore not strange that they should have an affection for the town, nor that the people of the town should have an affection for them. There is none with a disposition to wish them other than a long life with its last days full of joy as they contemplate the past, and bright with hope as they face the future.
Robert Henderson is a native of North Harpersfield, Delaware county, New York, where he was born June 30, 1832. He removed to Ohio when 17 years of age, where he learned the trade of a carpenter and joiner. He came to Iowa in the spring of 1855 and settled in Jackson county, but after a short stay there he removed to Castle Grove township and worked at his trade. It was while living there that he returned to Ohio and married Polly L. Palmer at Bazetta, Trumbull county, March 3, 1861. Mr. Henderson has been an extensive contractor and builder, and no doubt he has erected more structures in the various townships of the county than any other carpenter in the county.
Mrs. Henderson's parents were natives of Litchfield county, Connecticut. Her father was the son of B. Palmer, a Revolutionary soldier, and her mother, the grand-daughter of Timothy Johnson, also a Revolutionary soldier, whose ancestors were Colonial soldiers and civil officers. John Johnson, the original emigrant, came to America with the Winthrop fleet in 1629. He settled in Roxbury, Massachusetts, and was 'surveyor of all ye armies.' He was also an original member of The Ancient and Honorable Artillery Co., and a representative to the general court for fourteen years. His son, Isaac, of Mrs. Henderson's ancestral line, served all his life in the Colonial armies, and was the Captain Isaac Johnson, of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Co., who was killed at Fort Narragansett, in 1675, in one of the battles of King Phillip's war.
Mrs. Henderson has an illustrious line of ancestry, that might well be the boast of a Colonial Dame or a real daughter of the Revolution, but she is a modest woman and never made a parade of the fact. In this connection it may be added that Mr. Henderson's father served in the war of 1812, and received a grant of land for his services.
Mrs. Henderson (nee Palmer) was born at Johnston, Trumbull county, Ohio, January 18, 1832. She was a teacher in the public schools of Warren for several years previous to her marriage.
Mr. and Mrs. Henderson were the parents of five children, viz: Charles P. Henderson, who died November 20, 1899; Jennie R., the wife of J. F. Porter, of Davenport, the president of the Tri City Electric Railway Co.; Jessie J., who died August 27, 1867; Ella L., the wife of Charles L. Bartholomew, of Minneapolis, the well known cartoonist, whose widely copied pictures bear the signature of "Bart" Robert W. Henderson, of Monticello, who has assumed his father's business as a builder. Mr. and Mrs. Henderson's two daughters are graduates of the State College at Ames.
Submitted by Harriett Schultz
from the Catskill Mountain News issue 6/18/03
50 years ago section 6/19/1953
Undertakers begin removal of bodies
Work on removal of the bodies from Shavertown Cemetery was begun this week by Jester of Andes, Herrick of Margaretville & Clark of Downsville.
HS Note(Clark is now Knorr) The other two, I don't know.
Submitted by Harriett Schultz
from the Catskill Mountain News issue 7/9/03
50 YEARS AGO
Fri. July 10, 1953
Holiday Brook Property Owners Jubilant Over Decision Confirming First Business Damage Awards in Pepacton -
Alonzo Van Bramer of Berry Brook, Isaac Jacobson, J.B. Bouw, John H. Shaver, David Jacobson, Arthur and Gracie Havens, and Mrs. Anna Berg, have received the decision of Appellate division, which confirms awards to these property owners for business damages caused by construction of the Pepacton Reservoir in a total of $23,500. These are the first business awards made.
Move From Dam Area
Harold Burhams and children moved Saturday to North Harpersfield, where they have purchased a farm. Shavertown Cor.
Sanford Cemetery, Private, Open To Public The Sanford Cemetery, Dunraven, which has been a private burying ground since it was started more than 100 years ago, will soon be open for public sale of plots.
Submitted by Harriett Schultz
from the Catskill Mountain News issue 2/19/03 in the "Yellowed Pages" this appeared in the 25 years ago (1978) column
News of 50 years ago Feb 17, 1928 - Dr G.B. Maurer has bought a caterpillar tread device to install on his automobile so that he can travel anywhere through the snow. The front wheels of the vehicle can be interchanged with broad
runners. (Ed.Note - Perhaps someone will develop this device in future decades and call it a snowmobile)
Here's another from the 100 years ago 2/20/1903
John D Reside of Canada Hollow was in town (Margaretville) on Saturday. Mr. Reside participated in the anti-rent war troubles as one of the "enemy" and was present at the killing of Sheriff Steele.
Submitted by Michelle Gagner
handwritten on news clipping is "Tribune 7/10/23"
End Comes Unexpectedly After 24-Hour Illness At His Dunraven, NY Home:
Famed Also As A Linguist
Came to America in 1873
Quickly Mastered English, Won Success With Poet, Author, Musician Series
Jacques Reich, one of the leading portrait etchers of this century, died unexpectedly at Dunraven,N.Y. He had been ill only twenty-four hours. Funeral Services will be private. Burial will be in the Moravian Cemetery at New Dorp, S.I.
Mr. Reich was born in Hungary August 10, 1852. When thirteen years old he was thrown upon his own resources and not only supported himself but studied art in Budapest. By the time he was twenty-one his savings were sufficient
to enable him to come to the United States. When He arrived at this port he was unable too speak English.
He found work, however, and devoted himself to it and to the study of English and of the life in the new land with the thoroughness which was characteristic of him. For a while he was a photographer's assistant, his principal work being the retouching of negatives. Such delicate and precise work fascinated him. He spent some time in Cleveland, some in Philadelphia, then returned to New York. The artistry in him was developing. His fingers were restless for creative work.
Pen and Ink Won Notice
While in New York he studied at the National Academy Of Art and design and in Philadelphia at the Pennsylvania Academy Of Fine Art. He was successful from the first. His pen and ink sketches and his wash drawings found a ready
market, partly owing to his native genius for doing things well, which aided his art and partly to a shrewd business sense.
Not satisfied with the training he had received in this city and Philadelphia Mr. Reich decided=to pursue his studies further in Paris. It was characteristic of him that his first step in this direction should be the study of French. As an art student in Paris he did not intend to be under the handicap his lack of English imposed upon him when he came to the United States.
As he traveled more extensively he became a linguist of unusual ability, speaking many tongues fluently, His complete mastery of whatever task he set himself was continually a marvel to his friends. He was as earnest in his
avocations as in matters pertaining to his career, and when he took up skating soon became an adept. (sic)
Known To Many Notables
His work won him friends among the leading artists and writers of the country. Among those who counted him a friend were James Russell Lowell, John Greenleaf Whittier, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Robert Louis Stevenson, James A. McNeill Whistler, Richard Wagner, Alfred Tennyson, Edgar Allen Poe, Ralph Waldo Emerson, William Makepeace Thackeray, and Charles Dickens. Famous Americans were the subjects of another series of etched portraits by Mr. Reich, among them Washington, Franklin, Patrick Henry, John Paul Jones, Alexander Hamilton, Thomas Jefferson, John Marshall, James Madison, Andrew Jackson, Abraham Lincoln, Robert E. Lee, Grover Cleveland, William McKinley, Theodore Roosevelt, and Woodrow Wilson.
Worked Almost the Last
Mr. Reich was able to continue at his work to within twenty-four hours of his death, and last week was working at Dunraven on an etched portrait of Lafayette. He had executed numerous commissions for private plates, among them
portraits of E. H. Harriman, HH. Rogers, Whitelaw Reid, John W. Mackay, Mark Hanna and Senator Nelson W. Aldrich.
Mr. Reich married Lina, daughter of Emil Bellinger, of Frankfort (sic), Germany in 1892. She survives him, with three sons, Oswald D., Walter B. AND Herbert J. Reich.
Submitted by John Hutchins:
I'd written you a while back about an item on the site that was only a synopsis of a newspaper article on Mary Mead. At your suggestion, I wrote Shirley Houck. She wrote back with the following two articles, though there was no record of a Coronor's Inquest, trial record, or Governor's pardon.
Delaware Gazette of 16 May 1855 (at the Cannon Free Library):
"Boy Killed By An Insane Woman.- A boy about four years old, named Knapp, from Middletown, was instantly killed at the County House on Saturday afternoon last, by a Mrs. Mead, an insane woman, and inmate of the house. Mrs. J., though insane, was not violent, and was permitted to go about the house. A large crow bar was lying near the spot which she seized and struck the child twice, and though several other women were present, it was done so quickly that they were hardly aware of her intentions till it was done."
And, from the Bloomville Mirror of 15 May 1855 (at the Delaware County Historical Association):
"On Saturday last 12 inst. A little boy by the name of Knapp aged about 4 years who recently became an inmate of the County House from Middletown with his mother was instantly killed by being struck on the head with a crowbar. It was lying on the back stoop when discovered. Mrs. Mary Jane Mead, sister of Robert Harkness, who lost her reason and has been an inmate for many years was near the body and it is supposed that she struck the child on the head with the crowbar that was nearby which smashed its skull and produced instant death."
Note from Shirley Houck: This may be one of a few Mary Meads, since there were several Robert Harknesses. See, perhaps??, Abigail Harkness's will from 1868:
""To Hon. E. D. Wagner
Surrogate of Delaware County NY.
"The petition of John Mc Clellon and Joseph A. Douglass of the town of Kortright in the County of Delaware N. Y. respectfully showeth that they are the neighbors and friends of said Abigail Harkness, deceased; that they new the Committee of the person & estate before the death; that the said Abigail Harkness died a natural death and died intestate as your petitioners verily believe; that no will was left by the said Abigail Harkness, deceased, or was one made. That your petitioners have to the best of their ability estimated and ascertained the value of the personal property of which the said deceased died possessed and that the same does not exceed in value the sum of One Thousand dollars. That the said intestate left brothers & sisters who are entitled to her estate whose names are: Thomas Harkness; Sarah Riddle; James Harkness Sr.; Margaret Henderson; Robert Harkness, residing in Wisconsin, address unknown and Nancy Harkness and Elizabeth Harkness, residing in California, whose address is also unknown, children of Robert Harkness, deceased, a brother of the intestate; and Robert Mead and George Mead, infant children of Mary Mead, deceased, a sister of the intestate & residing at Kortright, Delaware County, N.Y. & (Mrs. Whitford if allowed to inherit). That said Abigail Harkness was an aged person having no (living) father or mother or children or husband...."
Submitted by Nancy Rutenber
Arthur Rutenbers Celebrate 60th Anniversary
Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Rutenber will celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary this Sunday, February 6, at Tacoma. Arthur Rutenber and Alice E. Youngs were married on Feb. 6, 1895 at Tacoma where they have lived for nearly all their sixty years of married life. Mr. Rutenber, 81, has engaged in farming all his life, and still owns and manages two large dairy farms. Mrs. Rutenber, 79, does her own housework, reads a great deal, and all her spare time is filled with crocheting, making hooked rugs and quilts, and tending her many house plants. They will hold Open House during the afternoon 1:00-5:00. Friends are cordially invited to call.
(They lived in Tacoma (town of Masonville) - See scanning of the Delaware Tribune, a weekly newspaper published in Trout Creek (town of Tompkins) single handed by Rev. Louis F. Kirlin from May 1951 to May 1956.
submitted by Mary C. Morgan
(not dated, probably 1968)
HARRY CLARKS WED 50 YEARS
All five of their children and ten of their 11 grandchildren were on hand for the 50th wedding anniversary celebration for MR. and MRS. HARRY G. CLARK
of Walton, held Sunday (August 11th) afternoon in the First United Methodist Church parlors. MRS. L.E.(RUTH) DRIGGS of Oneonta, MISS BETTY CLARK of Walton, daughters of the couple, EARL L. CLARK, Roscoe, DONALD CLARK of Millbrook and JACK CLARK of Staten Island, their sons, gathered together with their parents for a complete family reunion for the first time since 1942. MISS M. LAVERNA LOGAN and HARRY G. CLARK, both of Walton were married Thursday evening, Aug. 22, 1918, at the home of the bride's parents, MR. and MRS. JOHN H. LOGAN, in Delancey. The ceremony was performed by REV. H.J. McCLURE, pastor of the Delancey United Presbyterian church. They made their home for a time with his parents, MR. and MRS. L.W. CLARK on Mt. Pleasant. MRS. CLARK was employed at the time in the Retz Lincoln company as a bookkeeper. MR. CLARK, who graduated from the Columbia College of Pharmacy was then employed at More's drug store, from 1918 until 1921. For about four years, he operated a confectionery store and in 1925 began
his work at the Lane drug store in Walton where he has remained for the past 42 years as a pharmacist. Despite a heavy work schedule, active membership in the church and membership in the church and membership in Walton Masonic Lodge where he was master in 1948, HARRY CLARK took on the duties of Walton Supervisor to which office he was elected continuously for 16 years until he voluntarily retired in 1963. He also served the Walton school board from 1941 to 1947. MRS. CLARK returned to bookkeeping work after her children were grown and no longer needed her at home. She still helps out occasionally at Pond's Insurance agency, where she was employed full time until her retirement. She and her husband are still full of pep, although they restrict their social
activities by choice, enjoying their home at 56 High street, and their family who visit them frequently. HARRY CLARK says, "I feel pretty much the
same as always except I notice my hairline has receded."
Submitted by Donna Gigliotti
HANCOCK HERALD, THURSDAY, October 27, 1927
"Front Page - BOY HIT BY AUTO TAKEN TO HOSPITAL -
George Hoffman, Jr., Struck By Tourist's Car Near His Home Last Friday.
SUSTAINED SEVERAL BRUISES.
Underwent Ex-Ray Examination at City Hospital, Binghamton. George, Jr., the 9 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. George HOFFMAN, who
resided at West End, was seriously injured when struck by an automobile driven by John L. SCHOONMAKER of Accord, N. Y. on Friday evening last
between the hours of 5 and 6 o'clock. Mr. SCHOONMAKER was driving to Binghamton in his Buick sedan bearing the license number 9-H-4568 having his head lights turned on. When in the vicinity of the residence of Mr. HOFFMAN, the street apparently deserted and the auto traveling between 30 and
35 miles per hour, the boy suddenly appeared in the path of the car. Mr. SCHOONMAKER immediately applied his brakes, striking him a glancing
blow, the force of the impact throwing the victim to the ditch beside the road. His father, who was home at the time, was immediately notified and the injured boy carried to his home. Dr. L. E. WOOLSEY was called and found him semi-conscious and in intense pain, suffering from lacerations of the face and body, and bruises to right hip, ankle and his neck.On Tuesday afternoon of this week, complaining of severe pain in his neck, the young sufferer was taken to the Binghamton City Hospital, after consultation with Dr. WOOLSEY, where an Ex-Ray examination was taken yesterday. The examination revealed a fracture of the leg which will be placed in a cast the first of the week. He will remain in the hospital for at least a week or ten days before returning home. His
condition is reported very favorable.
Here's an article from my grandfather's effects..(He was HV Carrere)..Lots of names from the area, too.. --Michelle Gagner
Carrere Monarch For Zor Grotto - The Binghamton Sun - Saturday, Jan. 12,1952
Sidney, Jan.11.- Henri V. Carrere was installed Monarch of the Zor Grotto at its club rooms on Main Street tonight. Past Monarch Roland Barratt acted as installing officer and Past Monarch Everett VanName was grand Marshal. Other officers are Charles E. Davis, chief justice; Kenneth Fitzgerald, master of ceremonies; Wilmar Nash, treasurer;Herbert Sines, secretary; Elwood Grow, venerable prophet; Robert McCauley, trustee for three years;William Uline, trustee for one year. A buffet lunch and entertainment followed the installation to which the ladies were invited.
Submitted by Penny Terk
Mr. and Mrs. Mial Nichols Married 50 Years Ago -
Newspaper was the Oneonta Star.
Mr. and Mrs. Mial Nichols Happily Surprised
From North Harpersfield Cor.
A suprise 50th wedding anniversary was held Saturday, the 8th, in Community Hall to celebrate the wedding of Mial Nichols to Ida Titus, which
occurred December 23, 1878. It provided a genuine suprise, the happy couple being away from home while the plans were being perfected.
On their return home from helping their son do his butchering, they found the hall nicely decorated with gold and white crepe paper and the tables set for 60 people and the hall nearly full of relatives, friends and neighbors, (and Mial came in his overalls). After greetings, he was permitted to put on better clothes and the tables were more than twice filled before all were served with the good things provided.
After dinner, with J. D. Clegg of Jefferson acting as toastmaster, a program of speeches, jokes, and music was carried out, the speakers being
Rev. Harold Cooper of Scranton, Pa. The singers were little Miss Nichols of Worcester, J. D. Seeley, and the crowd.
At the program's conclusion, School Supt. A. T. Hamilton presented the happy pair with a very substantial token of the esteem in which they are held, and the bride groom feelingly expressed their thanks for the gifts, but more for the spirit shown by those present.
About 125 were there from Scranton to Cobleskill and the country in between those points. Mrs. N. T. Akerley of Jefferson made the bridal cake, which was a beautiful, delicious confection.
Submitted by Rhonda
Jan 1936 or 1938 is handwritten on the clipping (with picture above article)
Dr. and Mrs. James A. Holley
Walton physician and wife observe their sixtieth wedding anniversary by keeping open house at their home on North street, adjoining Walton Hall, on Saturday, January 25, from 2 to 5 o'clock in the afternoon and 7 to 10 o'clock in the evening. Relatives and friends are invited to call during these hours. Arrangements for the open house are in charge of the ladies of the Methodist church, in which they are active.
No date (with picture above article)
Walton's First Automobile
Dr. James A. Holley, who celebrates his 60th wedding anniversary this week, was the first Walton man to own and operate an automobile.
The car, an Oldsmoblie, was bought in 1901, and in those days when the motor industry was in its infancy, this model was the latest thing.
It had one lone cylinder, fired by a series of six dry batteries, and rode on bicycle tires which had no inner tube. Steering was accomplished by means of a lever, and a bicycle bell served for a warning signal. Horns were then unheard of. Dr. Holley made his local calls in the vehicle and such others as the roads would permit. The speed was nothing to brag about those days, but it was years before the late Edwin Watson Pond, while mayor of the village, issued an edict that the sidewalks crossing the streets be left elevated an inch or two above the street levels
as a deterrent to motorist who might wish to "let her out" to 15 or 20 miles an hour, then the maximum speed.
Submitted by Annette Campbell
Amos Livingston married Kittie J.Sawyer on 18 Jan 1866 at the 1st Baptist Church in Owego, Tioga Co, NY. The Rev. William
H. King, DD officiated. Amos was born 23 Jun 1844 in Campville, Tioga Co, NY to Michael and Christine Wolfe Livingston.
Obit of Amos Livingston
Amos Livingston, who lived near Owego, son of Michael, (a scotsman of DELAWARE COUNTY, NY who moved to Campville,
Tioga Co, NY in 1844 and had six children) married in 1865, Kittie J. Sawyer. He is survived by John Livingston, Esq., a cousin of NY City who is a lawyer, and three brothers; Ira, of Union; Warren of Susquehanna; Marcus of Campville. 28 Jan 1885 newspaper.
Hammondsport Herald--June 1874, Steuben County NY
Lucy Champlain age 72y died in Hammondsport, NY July 21, 1874. Born in Spencerport, Columbia Co, NY, she was one of
eight children. She leaves a brother Ira Davenport of Bath, NY and Charles Davenport of Hammondsport and one sister, Mrs.
Hodgekin of FRANKLIN, NY. She was the mother of four children, two survive, Charles D. of Pleasant Valley, NY
(Hammondsport-AC), and Mrs. Lucinda Wilcox of STAMFORD, NY.
Hammondsport Herald newspaper--- January 1875
Charles Davenport Champlinage 47y of Pleasant Valley, NY (Hammondsport-AC), died in New York City January 8, 1875. He
was born August 31, 1828 in DELAWARE COUNTY, NY, the eldest of four children. His mother was a sister to the late Ira and
Col. Charles Davenport of Hammondsport, NY.
Submitters note: Ira Davenport was a very wealthy man of Bath, NY. He constructed a large home for orphan girls on the
banks of the Cohocton River. The local hospital was constructed with money he left for that use and is named after him, the
Ira Davenport Memorial Hospital. Annette Campbell
Submitted by Dawn Willis
O.F. Whitakers Feted on 75th Anniversary:
Mr. & Mrs. Oscar F. Whitaker of 71 Townsend street Walton celebrated their 75th wedding anniversary Sat. May 3 at their home.
Susan Allen and Oscar Whitaker were married May 5, 1894. Their early years were spent farming at Bullock Hill near Trout Creek. In 1928, they
moved to Cannonsville where Mr. Whitaker served as Tompkins town clerk and also as superintendent of highways. They were obliged to sell their property to the city of New York during acquisition of land for the Cannonsville reservoir. They bought the school property at Beerston and
remodeled it into a modern home. Five years later, the settlement of Beerston was bought to complete the Cannonsville reservoir and again their property was taken. After this, they bought property at 71 Townsend street and have since made their home there. They have been members of the Baptist church many years. Mrs.Whitaker will be 92 August 24 and Mr. Whitaker will be 93 on October 1st. They have had unusual good health during these years. They maintain their own home and after serve dinner to their relatives and friends, Mrs. Whitaker does all her own work, her cooking and baking including bread and rolls. The Whitakers are parents of three children, Orville Whitaker, Mt. Pleasant, Walton, Mrs. V.R. Rawson (Dorothy) Rutland, Vt., and Richard Whitaker, Unadilla. There are also seven grandchildren, 17 great grandchildren, and three great-great grandchildren. Among the 70 guests who wished them health and happiness Saturday were Mr. & Mrs. Austin Gifford, Masonville, Mr. & Mrs. Charles Howland, Masonville, Mrs. Edith VanValkenburg and son, Theron of Afton and Mrs. Anna Niles of Masonville.
Submitted by Sheila Dent
MARRIAGE - At the home of Mr and Mrs R.H.Truesdell, Nov. 25, by Rev W.H. Vaughn, of Griffin's Corners, Edith May Truesdell of Little Westkill, and Joseph E Dent of Grand Gorge.
This was found in the Bloomville Mirror newspaper for 15 Feb 1853. --Patty Gaddis
Delaware County Town Officers - 1853
Kortright - Supervisor - George Brunett, Town Clerk - Andrew T McLaughry, Justice - Edward Sixsmith, Assessor - Jonathan B McMurdy, Commissioner of Highways - Joseph W Barlow, Jr, Overseers of the Poor - James McKee, Joseph Roberts, Inspectors of Election - Dist No. 1st - Walter S Brownell, John Murdock, Dist No 2d - George Dales, Stephen Forman, Collector - Andrew Tenick, Constables - Andrew Teneick, Jeremiah Ceas, Marquis Lewis, John Downer, Martin Wright, Justice (for vacancy) Theodore F Langley.
Stamford - Supervisor - Baldwin Griffin, Town Clerk - Henry Graut, Justice - Joseph B Barlow, Assessor - John Polly, commissioner of Highways - Robert McLaughlin, Inspectors of Election - Isaac H Silliman, Angus McDonald, Jr. Overseers of the Poor - James C Montgomery, George Sturges, Collector - David M Wood, Constables - Peter A Grant, Alexander Clark, Charles K Bush, Levi T Lyon, Henry Mull, Town Sealer - William McCaughan.
Davenport - Supervisor - George C Paine, Town Clerk - Ezra Denend, Justice - James Humphrey, Assessor - Robert J Orr, commissioner - Henry Ten Eick, Town Superintendent - Zebalon E Goodrich, Overseers of the Poor - Andrew Smith, Tunis Swart, Collector - Henry Ten Eick, Jr, Constables - Geo. W Goodrich, Linus Wright, Allen F Gaddis, Samuel P Smith, Ezra Osterhont, Inspectors of Election Dist No 1st - James Van Densen, William Parker, Dist No 2d - John W Michael, Mitchell Covert, Town House at Leonard Brown's, Town Sealer - John Ferguson, Jr.
Delhi - Supervisor - Albert Edgerton, Town Clerk - David P Loomis, Justice - Abijah G Boomhower, Superintendent - Calvin Howard, Assessor - Henry Holmes, Commissioner of Highways - Marcus W Frisbee, Overseers of the Poor, Sheldon Griswold, Abner G Thurber, Collector - Daniel M Leal, Constables - Walter Mead, Wiliam Fowler, Jr, Daniel M Leal, Lyman Perkins, William Y Burns, Inspectors of Election Dist No 1 - Erastus R Olmstead, Matthew Steele, Jr, Dist No 2 - Wiliam Shaw, George McIntosh.
Andes - Supervisor - John George, Town Clerk - Peter Fenett, Justices - Daniel Hawks, full term, Alexander B Douglas, vacancy Assesor - William A More, Commissioner of Highways - John Gladston, Inspectors of Election Dist No 1st - James Oliver, John Dickson, Dist No 2d - Alfred Shaver, Oliver E Miner, Overseers of the Poor - John Baxter, Richard Morse, Collector - Joel W Earll, Constables - Joel W Earll, David Ferguson, Richard Pearse, Sylvester Shaver, Francis More, Town Sealer - Hiram Scutt.
Harpersfield - Supervisor - Elias B Penfield, Superintendent - Robert Rogers, Justice - J H Champlin, Assessor - Charles Foote, Collector - R J Van Dusen.
Roxbury - Supervisor - Edward I Burbans, Town Clerk - D McGarry, Justice - Hiram Meeker.
Colchester - Supervisor - Alfred Hunter, Town Clerk - John T Hitt.
Bovina - Supervisor - Thomas Brown.
Franklin - Supervisor - Wm Waters, Town Clerk - Francis P Waters.
Hamden - Supervisor - Smith M Titus, Town Clerk - Marshall Shaw.
Hancock - Supervisor - John H Kiersted.
Masonville - Lewis Kentfield (doesn't say position)
Meredith - Supervisor - William Jackson, Town Clerk - S A Law.
Middletown - Supervisor - Warren Dimmick.
Roxbury - Supervisor - Edward I Burhans, Town Clerk - D McGarry. (listed twice)
Sidney - Supervisor - Shuman L Wattles, Town Clerk - James L Burrows.
Tompkins - Supervisor - Chares (no l) Maples, Town Clerk - Erastus Y Edick.
Walton - Supervisor - Gabriel S Mead, Town Clerk - David H Gay.
Supervisors - 19 Democrats, 6 Whigs, same as last year. 11 re-elected.
Submitted by Linda Ogborn, February 12, 1999
From the Oct. 13, 1900 Delaware Republican the following item was found:
"The oldest veteran present at the recent 144th reunion at Stamford was doubtless James H. Wright of Delhi, age 83."
Another item from The Delaware Republican and dated Aug. 22, 1940:
SEVEN ARE LEFT OUT OF 42
Charles C. MacGregor of Sidney writes that the news of the sale of several district schools in the Delhi centralized district revives memories of his youthful days when he was a pupil at District School No. 9 on the Little Delaware. Of the 42 persons who attended the school in 1873-74 only seven are living.
Mr. MacGregor sends a list of the pupils at the school during the year mentioned: Bell H. Patterson, Robert A. Patterson, Thomas D. Patterson, Wattle Patterson, Agnes N. Paterson, Alice Shaw, Jennie Shaw, Warren Dean, Bell J. Mable, Agnes S. Mable, James D. Mable, Robert A. Mable, Julia A. Maxwell, Fannie Middlemist, Bell J. Middlemist, Robert MacGregor, Agnes B. MacGregor, Charles C. MacGregor, Jennie C. MacGregor, Walter R. Mable, George S. Mable, Jennie F. Mable, Willie D. Mable, Isabell J. Irvine, John A. Irvine, Alice Patterson, Robert Hogg, Frank Hogg, Jennie Hogg, David Hogg, Willie Hogg, Maffie A. Thomson, Alfred Fitch, Charle Flower, Nelson Siring, Robert Leal, Frank Leal, Fannie McMullen, Johnnie Leal, Charlotte Leal, Minnie Leal, Tommie Hogg.
Alex Mable was then trustee of the school which was taught by W. M. Honeywell.
These are little snipits from the front page of the Walton Reporter, June 24,1932: Submitted by Robin Palmatier Gornell
"Bruce Goodrich of Beers brook got some lime in his eyes while doing some whitewashing Friday. Dr. MacNaught was called in attendance. Mr. Goodrich's sight will not be affected."
"George Onufer of Granton while working in the woods for the Pierson company Saturday had his left thigh inured by a rolling log. Dr. Gould, who was called, found no bones broken."
"Miss Sarah Hoyt of East street, while working in her garden Monday, stepped on a board with a rusty nail, which penetrated her right foot, making a painful injury. Dr. Morrow dressed the wound.""
"Marcus Benedict, manager of the Chenango Ice Cream Company's plant, slipped and fell on the concrete floor..." (the rest of the article is missing).
This would have been 1916 as Ann Card Palmatier was born Nov. 25, 1836. Don't know what paper this is from. Submitted by Robin Palmatier Gornell.
Bingamton, Dec. 14 - There was an unusual gathering of four generations when the 80th birthday anniversary of Mrs. Ann Palmatier was celebrated at her home, 140 Front stret [sic]. It is seldom that four generations are gathered in one group, but this occurred on the happy occasion. Mrs. Palmatier, despite her age, is in the best of health and retains all her faculties. The event was one which will become an epoch in the family history.
Submitted by Daniel Roach, December 6, 1998
(Newspaper article abt 1951) Roaches Host at Family Picnic. (Delhi)
Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Roach Jr. entertained at a family get together at thier home on Elm Street Sunday afternoon. Enjoying a
chicken barbecue and fellowship were Mr. and Mrs. John Kuther, Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Porter and son, Richard, Mr. and Mrs. DeMoe Waring,
Mr. and Mrs. Rexford Waring and children, Lynn, Rusty, and Judy, Mrs. Lawrence Waring, Miss Agnes Goodman, and Mrs. Emma Grant of
Delhi, also Mr. and Mrs. Jack Barry and children, Brad, Jack, and Leslie, of Patchoque, and Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Roach Sr. of the Bronx.
Fourteen other members of the family were not able to be present.
(Newspaper Article 1952) Shirley L. Waring Weds John Kuther
A single ring ceremony united in marriage Miss Shirley L. Waring, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Clyde D. Waring of Delhi, and John Kuther
of Andes Saturday afternoon October 18. The Two-Thirty o'clock service took place in St. John's Church at Delhi with the rector, the Rev. Charles B. Shaver, officiating. Wedding music was played by the organist, Mrs. Emma D. Landon, and white chrysanthemums and candles were used at the alter. Given in marriage by her father, the bride was attended by a close friend, Miss Agnes Goodman of Delhi, as maid of honor. Fred Temming of Andes was best man for Mr. Kuther. The bride was attired in a mulberry colored dress with grey accessories and had a corsage of white roses. The maid of honor wore blue with red accessories and corsage of red roses. A reception for sixty-six guests was held after the ceremony at Andes Hotel. The buffet table was decorated with yellow pompons and green foliage and centered with a tiered bride's cake.
After a weeks wedding trip spent in New York City, Mr. and Mrs. John Kuther will be at home in their recently purchased home on
Orchard Street. Out of town guest at the wedding were Mr. and Mrs. R. G. Roach, and Mr. and Mrs. Clyde D. Roach and son, Duane, New York City; Mr. and Mrs. Laurence Waring, Flushing, L. I.; Mr. and Mrs. Donald Smith and son, Michael, Patchoque, L.I.; Mr. and Mrs. Enno Mueller,
Betty Ann Mueller, Linda Jean Mueller, John Mueller, the Misses Meta Kuther and Janet Kuther, Paul Benau jr., all of Andes; Mr. and
Mrs. John Latta, Mr. and Mrs. Ernest VonBargen, Sidney Center; Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Bremer, John Fastert, Gilboa.