What is now the town of Bovina was included in the townships of Delhi, Middletown and Stamford until February 25th, 1820, when an act was passed erecting the town, and providing that the first town meeting be held on the first Tuesday of March, 1820. This first town election was held at the house of John Hastings, who then kept an inn on the farm now owned by James M. Hastings, on the Little Delaware, about two miles above Brushland.
At this meeting Elisha B. Maynard and Thomas Landon, jr., justices of the peace, were superintendents.
The organization of the town government was completed by the election of the following board of officers: Supervisor, Thomas Landon, jr.; town clerk, Charles Leet; assessors, Peter Drummond, John Hastings and Robert Hamilton. The commissioners of highways were Robert Moscrip, John Hume, Peter Drummond; collector, John Seacord; overseers of the poor, John Hume and David Thompson; constables, James Palmer, John Seacord, Asa Landon and James McCune; fence viewers and damage appraisers, Joshua Hobbie, Adam Kidzie, Thomas Landon, jr., Jacob Brush, Robert Hamilton and Robert Ballantine; pound-masters (each of their barnyards to be a public pound), John Hastings, John Erkson, Elisha B. Maynard; commissioners of common schools, John Thompson, Hawley P. Mitchell, John Erkson; inspectors of schools, James Wetmore, jr., Robert Grearson and James Coulter; overseers of highways in the twenty-nine road districts of the town - Thomas Landon, jr., Solomon Tuttle, Gabriel Carman, James Woolsey, Jacob Brush, John Ormstron, John Hastings, David Ballantine, John Thompson, Walter Doig, Francis Coulter, John Rider, William Fields, Solomon Akins, Hugh Clark, Francis Conner, Elisha Light, Isaac Atkins, Elisha B. Maynard, Darius Adee, John McCune, William Jones, Thomas Nicholls, George Hume, John Archibald, Samuel Adee, Robert Hamilton, Thomas Liddle and James Hastings.
The name of the town, from the Latin word bovinus (pertaining to cattle - whence the word bovine), was suggested by Gen. Erastus Root, and alludes to the fact that it was the pioneer town in the dairying business.
The population of Bovina at the census dates during the last forty-five years has been as follows: 1835, 1,412; 1840, 1,403; 1845, 1,436; 1850, 1,316; 1855, 1,224; 1860, 1,242; 1865, 1,146; 1870, 1,022; 1875, 983; showing an almost uninterrupted decrease, amounting during the period mentioned to thirty per cent. of the population of 1835.
The general features of the town are similar to those of Andes, but the valleys are generally broader and the elevations not as abrupt.
The height of land between the Little Delaware and the west branch forms the boundary between this town and Delhi and Stamford on the west and north. Points on this ridge rise to an elevation of twenty-three to twenty-five hundred feet, and from several peaks can be seen the finest views afforded from any point of observation in the county.
The principal branches of the Little Delaware which drain and water this town are Mountain and Maynard brooks, in the northern part of the town, and Coulter and Grant brooks, in the central part, and Bush creek, the outlet of Teunis lake.
In the western part of the town is a lake of about one hundred and sixty-five acres surface. It was anciently known as Fish lake, but is more generally referred to now as Landon's lake, from Thomas Landon, who for years was agent for the Livingstons, who owned the land near it. The lake has no surface inlet, and its outlet is a stream of sufficient size to afford a valuable water power.
Teunis lake, at the foot of Mount Pisgah, is a muddy pond of a few acres, and is, in the name it bears, the only monument to the memory of Teunis, an old Indian who once lived near.
He was the last of his kind in this vicinity, and on several occasions gave the early white settlers friendly warning of danger from the more malicious of the tribe.
The early pioneers were chiefly Yankees, but a large part of the present population is of Scotch extraction. The town has no paupers, either at home or abroad. Its bounty debt was all paid by one tax, and there has been no liquor license in it for several years.
Besides the early settlers mentioned below were, Hezekiah Davis, 1794, whose death four years later was the first death in the town; Nathan Hilton, Robert Moscript, Ebenezer W. Buckley, James Davis, Peter Scutt, William Ormiston, Samuel Ludington, James Kidzie, Andrew Chisholm, Ebenezer W. Buckley, D. Woolsey, John Lines, Benjamin Fuller, Eliphalet Jearoms, Walter Stott, John Tomlin, Benjamin Barlow and James Russell.
The marriage of the last named with Nancy Richie was the first marriage in the town.
A few of the early by-laws, in the form of resolutions at the first town meeting, are worthy of a more conspicuous place:
"Voted, that the expenses of procuring ballot boxes, books, and other expenses shall be paid out of the first monies that may come into the hands of the supervisor or overseers of the poor.
"Voted that the next town meeting be held at the house of David Ballantine.
"Atts. Charles Leet, Town Clerk."
At the next town meeting it was "voted, that the town pay John Seacord thirty-seven dollars and fifty cents, being the one-half of the sum lost by him when collecting the taxes." "Voted to hold the next town meeting at the house of Jacob Brush."
A special meeting was held on the 5th day of April, 1821, at which the most important business transacted was the appropriation of $10 to pay Walter Crozier for surveying the town. "Resolved, that the collector have but three per cent. For collecting the taxes of this town."
The vote to pay the collector one-half of the money he lost was rescinded at this special meeting.
In 1827, at the annual town meeting it was "voted that the supervisor shall levy whatever sum he shall deem necessary for the support of the poor."
"Voted that John Johnson, a pauper, be sold to the person that will keep him the cheapest."
"John Johnson was sold to John Bennett for one year, at the rate of nine shillings and sixpence per week."
The electors of this town had then, as their descendants have now, very summary methods of dealing with those who were disposed to become a public charge. So enthusiastic had they become on the subject of taxation to support paupers, that they solemnly resolved at the town meeting on the 6th day of March, 1838, "that the county poor-house in the town of Delhi be abolished."
The following is the civil list for the town, exclusive of the names of those elected at the first town meeting, already mentioned:
Supervisors, - Thomas Landon, jr., re-elected in 1821; Robert McFarland, 1822; Thomas Landon, 1824; James Cowan (Judge), 1825-39; Walter Coulter, 1840; James Coulter, 1841; Walter Coulter, 1842; Alexander Storie, 1843; James Cowan, 1844; James Coulter, 1845; Walter Stott, jr., 1846, 1847; Alphonso Lee, 1848; John Calhoun, 1849; Isaac Aitkin, 1850, 1851; Thomas Brown, 1852-54; Andrew T. McFarland, 1855, 1856; James Archibald, 1857-59; James Elliott, 1860-62; David L. Thomson, 1863; Alexander Storie, 1864-66; James Elliott, 1867-69; Alexander Storie, 1870, 1871; D.L. Thomson, 1872; James R. Douglas (deceased), David Black to fill vacancy, 1873. Since then the present incumbent, David Black.
Justices, - The following is a list of all persons elected (or appointed) justice, with the number of terms of each one. The order in which they occur is the order of their first election.
Elisha B. Maynard, two terms; Thomas Landon; James Wetmore; James Coulter, four terms; Jessy Purdy; Duncan McNaught, two terms; John T. Wilber, two terms; James Cowan; John M. Landon; Robert Scott; John Seacord; Isaac Maynard, five terms; John Erkson, two terms; Alecander Storie, two terms; Adam Jones; Walter Coulter, four terms; John Armstorng; Alexander mcEachron; John Scott; Alphonso Lee; J.B. Wilber; William Lull, four terms; John Laughren; William Yeomans; Samuel Storie, two terms; Malcolm McNaught; James Dean; Andrew T. McFarland; William Renwick; William Boggs, two terms; John Thomson, five terms; Robert H. Sloan; James R. Douglas; John Phyfe, five terms; David Black; John Johnson; Peter Morton; Homer C. Burgin, four terms; John Hilson; Charles R. Lee, two terms: John Bigger; George Currie; John Currie; W.R. Stevens.
Town Clerks - Charles Leet, re-elected in 1821-23; George Nesbit, 1824-33; Joel S. Brush, 1834-36; Samuel Gordon, 1837; Joel S. Brush, 1838, 1839; William Lull, 1840; John Erkson, jr., 1841-43; Seymour C. Wilcox, 1844; Edward McKenzie, 1845; Joel M. Bailey, 1846; Alphonso Lee, 1847; Samuel McCune, 1848; Robert Murray, 1849, 1850; Samuel McCune, 1851; Alphonso Lee, 1852, 1853; James Elliott, 1854-56; Thomas E. Hastings, 1857, 1858; James Elliott, 1859; D.L. Thomson, 1860, 1861. In 1862 Alexander H. Gill elected and resigned, and James Gill appointed. Michael Miller, 1864, 1865; Thomas E. Hastings, 1866; Charles M. Frisbee, 1867; Henry S. Murray, 1868, 1869; D.L. Thomson, 1870; Andrew T. Strangeway, 1871, 1872; T.E. Hastings, 1873, resigned. John Hilson, from Hastings's resignation until the present.
Years and Years Ago
The white man's knowledge of the territory which is now Bovina extends back over a period of about a century. The early residents of the town of Harpersfield knew of it as "over the mountain."
There was then an old tradition of the existence of lead mines known only to the Indians. It is known that the old Indian whose hut was on the shore of Teunis lake would take his hammer and sack and after a short absence would return with some pieces of rock, from which he obtained the metal to make his bullets.
The knowledge of this buried wealth died with him, for no pale face could ever obtain from him the secret. The apple trees he planted and a heap of stones mark the spot where his hut once stood.
The Indian trail crossed this town from the "big elm" on the turnpike, by the way of Robert Forrest's , over to the river, past J.E. Hastings's and up the valley to "the Notch," on J. Adee's farm, and on to Stamford. It was by this trail that in the year 1792 Elisha B. Maynard, with two yoke of oxen and a cart, reached the valley of the Maynard brook, where he made the first settlement in the town of Bovina. His farm was the one now owned by his grandson, Archibald F. Maynard. On this fam, in the year 1793, Elisha H. Maynard was born, and this was the first birth.
The first mill was built by Steven Palmer in 1796, for Governor Morgan Lewis. It was near the lake, and was afterward used by John Stewart for a store. In 1808 there was a fulling mill there, and at one time a Scotchman named Harvey ran a distillery in a log building near the lake.
The largest distillery was David Ballantine's, on Ferris J. McPherson's farm. Ballantine built a grist-mill there. Besides six others in the town at one time, there was a distillery at John R. Hoy's and one on widow Dean's farm.
For a quarter of a century before the town was erected, asheries were numerous in the settlement, and represented an important industry. Wheat was the next chief production, but for the last three decades dairying has been the leading enterprise. The town was never well adapted for wheat raising, but as the land rents on a large tract were payable in wheat its culture was not the choice, but the necessity.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE TOWN
The general reader need not be told that Scottish thrift and Scottish piety have transmitted traits that do honor to the children of the countrymen of Scott and Wallace: and if, in the homes of their ancestors, the Bible and the sword were the emblems of justice and mercy, so to-day in Bovina, love of country and love of god go hand in hand.
The last report of the Delaware Country bible society states that on a recent canvass of the town, the colporteur found the Bible in every family. The Sunday-school records show an attendance more than sixty per cent in excess of the whole school population. The influence of the clergy is universally felt, and temperance and morality are in a corresponding degree the effect of such training; an instance of which, and one speaking volumes when viewed in the light of its results on public morals, is the fact that for years no license for the sale of liquors has been granted in the town.
The resources of the town are well developed, and the farms and farm buildings are equal to those of any town in the county.
The farm barn of A.T. McFarland is the best in the county. The basements are all of cut stone from the farm. The McFarland boys drew all the plans and performed the mechanical labor, including the stone cutting. The building is one of the attractions of the town, and the register in the observatory bears the signatures of many prominent men who have been the guests of the genial and hospitable family.
The farm stock of this town is noted as exceptionally good. The Hastings brothers were the first to introduce Alderney cattle here. Their excellence was soon recognized, and nearly every dairy in the town has since been improved by their introduction.
W.L. Rutherford is at present the most extensive breeder of Alderneys.
Great care has been taken by the farmers in the selection and breeding of farm houses.
The town paid her bounty debt in one tax, and it has been yers since there was a pauper supported by the town. Very many of the farms are yet owned in the families of the first settlers, and less of the real estate is encumbered than in any other town.
Post Stations and Postmasters
During the first thirty years of the settlement here the postal advantages were very limited. The settlers had to go over the hill by "the trail" to Stamford, some dozen miles distant, for their letters. It was the custom for some one in the neighborhood to go over each month and bring the mail for the community.
After a few years there came to be a sort of distributing station at the mouth of Rose's brook, in a store kept by Martin Leet; but settlers in the western part of the town had to go to Delhi for mail.
The first post-office established in the town was established at Livingston's lake on the 27th of January, 1821. The office was "Fish Lake," and Thomas Landon, jr. Was the first postmaster. The office was kept in the mill house, the present residence of David Ferguson. Jabez Bostwick was the first mail carrier.
The Bovina post-office was established on the 23rd day of April of the same year, and John Hastings was appointed postmaster.
He was succeeded by Willis Bishop, who kept the office in the building now the wagon shop of John Johnson. After that Robert McFarland was appointed, and the office was kept at the house of the deputy, Robert Scott, near the present Johnson woolen mill. He was succeeded in 1838 by Thomas McFarland. John Johnson had the office for a short time in 1861, and was succeeded by William Archibald, the present incumbent.
The Bovina Center office was established October 16th, 1841. John Erkson was appointed, and served until Dr. McKenzie was appointed and the name of the office changed to Brushland. Robert H. Sloan and James Elliott were postmasters before 1871, when D.L. Thomson, who is now serving, was appointed.
Andrew T. Strangeway has been postmaster at Bovina Valley since that office was established in 1862.
The Succession of Physicians
Previous to 1820 there was no regular resident physician in what is now Bovina. Old Doctor Marshall, of Kortright, was the early supply, and at both ends of the journey of life he was trusted to minister to the physical comfort of the people. In 1822 Dr. Leal settled on the side of the mountain between Bovina and Stamford. The old cellar on the farm of Robert Nesbitt marks the spot. He practiced in both towns, and his career of usefulness closed only with his life in February, 1831.
About the time of Dr. Leal's death, Dr. Kelly located in Bovina, and practiced for a short time.
Solomon Green began practice at this time and remained until 1842-44. His nephew, Seymour C. Wilcox, who was a student with him and succeeded him in practice, remained until 1845.
Dr. Edward McKenzie was a prominent man in the profession for several years.
During that period Steven B. Hanford was located at Bovina Center for three or four years.
The positions which some of the practitioners had taken in the Anti-Rent controversy had mined their practice, and at that time Dr. John Telford and Dr. Calhoun became the prinicpal supplies.
Dr. Calhoun remained until his election to the office of sheriff in 1864. Three years later Dr. Telford removed to Andes, and was succeeded by a Dr. Bell, who only remained a few months.
Other physicians who have been here are Dr. Coats, Dr. Ferguson and Walter Scott, a son of Adam Scott.
Charles Frisbee was a prominent doctor here quite recently, and occupied the present Methodist Episcopal parsonage.
The profession is now represented by J.G. Dickson and W.C. Telford. Dr. Telford is a son of Dr. John Telford, one of the leading physicians of Bovina and Andes for many years. He was born in Bovina in 1849, and was educated in the Andes Collegiate Institute. After studying with his father for a time he entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons of the City of New York, from which he graduated in 1871. He is now located at Brushland, and is enjoying a good practice.
There are three points in this little town where business and population first began to center.
Brushland is a hamlet, near the center of the town, originally known as Bovina Center. It contains now, as it long has, the principal commercial business of the town. The present name was given it in honor of the first settler here, Alexander Brush, from Long Island. He owned about four hundred acres, which included the present site of the village. Here he erected, about 1800, the first mill, which was on the site of T.W. Dennis's grist-mill. His son-in-law, Cornelius Davis, built a distillery here, where William Stott's house now stans; and here, in thos early days, a fulling mill was operated by Alphonso Lee, where is now the Stott & McNee cooperage. The mill was first built on the John Bramley place, by John Bennett, and subsequently removed. The first store was kept here by Robert Hume. The first tract above Mr. Brush's purchase was settled by one Bogardus.
Of the few remaining traces of that earlier day should be noted the house where Mr. Brush lived and preached, the present residence of John Hastings.
The church buildings of the town are in this village, as is also the largest school. A grist-mill and two cooper shops, two blacksmith shops, a hardware and a drug store and the three general stores mentioned below are the principal business places.
The Hook, named from the shape of the roads in that part of the town, is a small business place on the turnpike. James Wetmore kept the first inn, and in 1803 the Basleys had a distillery here. The present store was built in 1873 by J.P. Flowers, who has kept the public house since 1869. Among the early merchants were Jesse Purdy and a Mr. Whetmore.
The Butt End is a post hamlet in the northeastern part of the town. This outlandish name was given it by the people who lived farther down the river, in the days when a part of the business of each town meeting was to fix upon the place of holding the next one. On one of these occasions a speech was made by Thomas Hamilton, who favored the holding of the next meeting in this northern part of the town, and a striking simile was introduced into his argument. He claimed that the north settlement was the larger, and, in allusion to the big end of the logs they were all familiar with, he said that the northern end of the town was the butt end. This homely simile was ridiculed by the faction which the argument had defeated , and the name has outlived the joker who was responsible for it.
In this vicinity, on the farm of A.T. McFarland, the first still in the town was put in operation in 1802 by Thomas McFarland. It was brought by him from Albany on the first four-wheeled vehicle ever in the settlement, and probably by the first pair of horses that ever came over the mountain.
Another distillery was erected later by William Doolittle in the building now occupied by W. Thomson as a blacksmith shop. Duncan Ballantine did business here from 1840 to 1847, in a building erected about 1834 by James R. Sharp. The first store here was kept by Samuel Gordon.
In 1802 Robert Scott built for Matthew Russell the first saw-mill and grist-mill. In 1833 it was abandoned and the building converted into a hop-house, and finally it is the hay-barn of James Johnson.
Thomas H. Johnson now owns and operates the woolen-mills where, in 1803, Robert Scott built a saw-mill and grist-mill. Mr. Johnson's old mill is near the site of a grist-mill built in 1801 by Robert Scott for Matthew Russell, a pioneer.
The present woolen-mills were built in 1870, and are furnished with all the modern improvements. A large cider-mill, connected to the same power by shafting does a large business in its season.
When the town of Bovina was organized, it contained about 400 children between five and fifteen, which was then the legal school age. The first report of the town commissioners of common schools, is a suitable showing of the early system of popular education.
"The entire number of school districts in our town organized according to law is six; the number of parts of districts is two." The reports of the several districts showed a resident school population of 416, and a total attendance of 292. The total expense of the several schools was $221.87, of which $153.56 was appropriated from public funds.
The report advises the department of public instruction that the text-books in use are the Bible, Webster's Spelling-book, Daboll's Arithmetic, Murray's English Grammar and the Abridgment. "Our teachers are getting Flint's and Croker's Surveying, but they are not yet much taught. Also Walker's Dictionary and Samson's Historical Dictionary, and Barton's Abridgment of Geography, with Atlas.
"Dated at Bovina, this 21st day
of June, 1821 A.D.
"Thomas Landon, Jr. Commissioners of Common Schools"
In 1830 the school population was 446, but the maximum school age was then sixteen years; $154.40 was the public money, and another joint district had been organized.
In 1840 there were nine districts and four parts, with a school population of 399. The public funds apportioned were $357.30.
In 1855 there were twelve school-houses situated in this town, and $680 were apportioned, from public funds, for their support. There are now eleven districts; the school population has decreased to 352, and the public money for Bovina in 1878 was $1,028.33. The last district, number 11, Coulter Brook, was organized in May, 1833, and a log school-house was erected that season. A novel plan was devised for building a round chimney. Thomas Liddle stood up and the chimney was built around him, he climbing up on the stones until they took him out at the top.
The resting places of the early dead are in the family burial places on the early settled farms. The largest cemeteries are the one on the Hobbie farm, the one at the "Butt End," the one mentioned in the U.P. church history, and the new cemetery, set off in 1853 from the "Church farm," since occupied by Robert F. Thomson.
The first interment in the second of these was that of Mrs. Rev. James Douglass, about 1827, and in 1857 her husband's remains were placed by his request in the same grave.
The first burial in the new cemetery was that of Archibald Armstrong, October 30th, 1853. The monuments there register many earlier deaths, but they are reinterments from more obscure places.
The new cemetery is decently cared for and the walks and lots are well kept, but in the others there are evidences of shocking neglect, the briars and weeds growing on the sunken graves where,
"Each in his narrow cell forever laid,
The rude forefathers of the hamlet sleep."
In the early part of the present century some families from Washington county, New York, and others from Scotland settled in the district now the town of Bovina.
In the year 1806 the families of Walter Doig, Isaac Atkins, John Elliot, and William M'Gibbon, who were among the early settlers of the town, petitioned the Associate Presbyterian Presbytery of Cambridge, N. Y., for a supply of preaching, and in October, 1807, Rev. Alexander Bullions, D. D. (then a licentiate), preached the first sermon. These services were held in the Red House, then kept as a hotel by Thomas Landon, and now standing near the mill at Livingston's Lake; and other services were held afterward in the house of John Thomson, on the farm now owned by James G. Ormiston. Dr. Bullions remained at that time but a few weeks, and they received no more preaching until he returned, in the month of September, 1809. In the meantime, the weekly prayer meetings had been maintained and a petition had been forwarded to the presbytery requesting a church organization.
In October, 1809, Dr. Bullions organized the congregation under the name of "The Associate Presbyterian Church of Little Delaware," with the following membership, viz.: James Stoddard, Isaac Atkins, Walter Doig, William M'Gibbon, John Elliott, David Henderson, James Russel, Mrs. Elizabeth Doig, Mrs. Isaac Atkins, Mrs. Christina Elliott, and Mrs. William M'Gibbon. The first elders elected and ordained were James Stoddard and Isaac Atkins, but William M'Gibbon and Walter Doig were first nominated (probably elected) and declined to serve.
The barns, school-houses and private dwellings were used as places of worship until 1815. There was not then existing the present relation between the clergy and the liquor dealers, and a tavern was deemed a proper place of worship.
Dr. Alexander Bullions often preached in the bar-room of the Red House, now the residence of David Ferguson, near the lake, and he stood, while preaching, behind the bar, and used the counter for his pulpit desk, the proprietor of the house having kindly prepared the bar-room and given it for public worship on the Sabbath without charge.
It was at the house of John Thomson, now the residence of J. G. Ormiston, that Dr. Bullions organized the congregation, and baptized William Doig, Isabella Elliott and Elizabeth Elliott, the first children baptized on the Little Delaware.
In the year 1810 Rev. Francis Pringle was sent by the presbytery to peach to the congregation. He remained about four weeks and preached in a barn on the farm now owned by John T. Miller. After this the congregation was almost entirely destitute of preaching until late in the fall of 1813 when Rev. Robert Laing preached a few Sabbaths at the school-house below the Lake mill. Mr. Laing remained during the winter, and preached in the house of Adam Scott, and also in the barn of James Russel, near Thomas H. Johnson's woolen-mill. About the 1st of February, 1814, the congregation elected as elders John Elliott, Walter Doig, David Henderson and James Russel, sen., and also united in a call for Rev. Robert Laing to become the pastor. The amount of salary promised in this call was $250, and he entered upon his labors as pastor of the congregation about the 1st of June 1814. Immediate steps were taken to erect a meeting-house, but it was not until the 10th day of May, 1815, that the first church building was raised. This was a substantial frame building, 36 by 30 feet, with a gallery, and stood on the south side of the "old grave-yard lot," about one-half mile from the present house of worship. It was not until 1824 that this building was furnished with pews and pulpit; but on the second Sabbath of July, 1815, the Lord's Supper was dispensed in it for the first time; and then, and for years after, the carpenter's work-bench was used for a pulpit, and rough boards and blocks were used for communion table and seats. At this first communion the following persons united with the church viz.: Francis Coulter, Thomas Liddle, Mathew Russel, Thomas Hamilton, James Archibald, sen., James Thomson, Robert Menzie, James Hastings, James Rutherford, Walter Renwick, Samuel H. Dean and their wives; also Mrs. Ann Dean, Miss Elizabeth Russel and Isabella Stoddard. As none of the eleven persons who had united with the church at its organization had died or removed, the congregation at this time must have numbered thirty-six persons.
Rev. Robert Laing continued as pastor until the 8th of May, 1823, when the presbytery dissolved the relation. He, however, remained among those whom he loved until his death, which occurred on the 29th of May, 1839, at the ripe old age of 89 years. A plain but substantial monument (erected by the congregation) marks the spot where his body rests--in the old church-yard only a few feet from where he used to minister. From 1823 to 1832 the congregation had no settled pastor. On the 31st of October, 1832, Rev. John Graham was ordained and installed pastor. Under his ministry the congregation prospered and greatly increased; by mutual agreement and in mutual confidence the relation was dissolved in 1853. The congregation remained vacant until the first of August, 1856, when Rev. James Bascowen Lee was installed pastor. He was born at Cadiz, Ohio, June 11th, 1833, and is a son of Hon. Thomas Lee, who was for many years judge of the court of common pleas of Harrison county, Ohio. Rev. Mr. Lee graduated at Franklin College, Ohio, in 1851, and three years later, after completing a theological course at Cannonsburg seminary, Pa., he was licensed to preach by the Associate Presbyterian Presbytery of Muskingum, Ohio.
For the two following years he was assigned missionary duty by that denomination in Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Pennsylvania and New York.
During those labors half a score of calls to pastorates in those States were extended to him. The only one accepted by him was the call from Bovina, N. Y., where he has labored since his installation on the first Sabbath of August, 1856. In 1859 he married Miss Jennie I. Campbell, of Fonda, Montgomery county, N. Y. In the spring of 1861 he received a call from the 4th U. P. Church of Allegheny City, and an effort was made by it to induce him to become its pastor, which was not successful.
He has received many expressions of respect from the religious body with which he had ever been connected, being called to serve as moderator of the U. P. Synod of New York, as delegate to the Reformed Church in America (Dutch) and as a delegate to the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church of Canada.
In 1858 he received from Franklin College the degree of A. M., and in 1879 the degree of D. D. was conferred upon him by the trustees of Hamilton College, N. Y.
His pastorate of twenty-three years in Bovina has been one of uninterrupted harmony and prosperity in the congregation. At the time of Rev. J. B. Lee's installation the church numbered 162 members, and since that time 468 persons have united with the church under his ministry. There are at this date, August, 1879, 339 member in full communion with this church. There have been three special manifestations of the favor and grace of God. The first revival occurred immediately after the settlement of the present pastor in 1856. when at the first communion 26 persons were added to the church. The second was in May and June, 1866, and a part of its fruit was the accession of 61 person to the church. The third marked addition to the church was in 1865, when over 50 members were added.
During the past twenty-three years the pastor has administered baptism to 58 adults and 333 infants, and has preached at 473 funerals.
He is prominently identified with reform movements of every character, especially that of temperance, and is at the present time the president of the Delaware County Temperance Society. He is the author of the work "How to Make a Will," the first edition of which was published in 1873, and a second and enlarged edition was issued in 1879 by the American Tract Society.
Dr. Lee is an earnest and attractive speaker. He seems gifted with rare taste, tact and talent for his profession. For nearly a quarter of a century his ministrations have been very acceptable to the people of his charge. His sermons seem to be suggested largely by the events of the day, and are always full of thought and interest. His peculiar reading of the Scripture is almost an exposition of it, from the striking enunciation and emphasis given to call out its true meaning. His gestures in speaking are frequent, but appropriate, and his manner and matter are quite original. He never reads his sermons and seldom uses notes while preaching.
This congregation is justly entitled to be regarded as the parent church of several of the U. P. churches now under the care of the Presbytery of Delaware. In 1858 thirty-six members were granted certificates, and became the Associate Presbyterian Church of New Kingston; and in 1865 twelve members were dismissed to form a church at Walton.
In 1849 a new church edifice was erected in the village of Bovina Centre, and the congregation was reincorporated under the name of the "Associate Presbyterian Church of Bovina, N. Y. In 1859 the church edifice was enlarged so as to seat between seven and eight hundred persons, and the ecclesiastical name of the society changed to "The United Presbyterian Church of Bovina."
The congregation has been liberal in its annual contributions to the American Bible Society, The American Tract Society and the Boards of Home and Foreign Missions and the other institutions of the United Presbyterian Church. In the year 1868 the congregation established a mission of its own among the freedmen in Virginia, which was very successful. Miss Lizzie A. Coulter now Mrs. Henry S. Murray and Miss Mary A. Adee now Mrs. Martin, were the first teachers sent to the mission, and their salary and entire expenses were paid by the congregation.
The United Presbyterian Sabbath-school of Bovina was organized on the 15th of September, 1856, with 74 scholars and D. L. Thomson as superintendent. The Sabbath-school now numbers 307.
From the membership and families of this church the following named persons have entered the ministry:
John Black, James Black, Francis McBurney, George P. Raitt, Robert T. Doig, A. G. King, J. D. Graham, John L. Scott, J. P. Dysart, J. B. Dunn deceased and Andrew W. Archibald.
The following persons have been elders, the first being elected in 1809:
Isaac Atkins, James Stoddard, John Elliott, Walter Doig, David Henderson, James Russel, sen., Hugh Clark, Francis Coulter, James Russel, jr., Thomas Wight, John C. McEachron, William Forrest, William Murray, sen., Andrew Doig, John Armstrong, John Dunn, William Elliott, Edward Dunn, John Calhoun, John C. Scott, William Doig, William Thomson, Dr. John Telford, Alexander McEachron, Thomas Miller, John Raitt, jr., Walter Forrest, Andrew T. McFarland, Francis C. Armstrong, Walter A. Doig and David Black.
The last seven are still acting. Of the others Mr. Henderson was deposed; Messrs. J. C. McEachron William Elliott, John Calhoun and John C. Scott have removed; the others have died.
Methodism in Bovina is of long standing. The Rev. William Jewit preached here previous to 1812. How much farther back it dates we have no positive knowledge, but for years before there was any church there was a Methodist society, which worshipped in school-houses, barns and private dwelling houses. The following preachers preached in the town between the years 1818 and 1849: Revs. James Quinlan, Philo Ferris, Ira Ferris, Charles Pomeroy, John Bangs, Alexander Kaldron, Bezaleel Howe, Delos Lull, Paul R. Brown, Daniel Bouton, Disivegna Starks, Solomon Fenton, William H. Smith, James Smith, Edward Stout, Charles Malory, Harvey Brown, Washburn and Kelly. Bur perhaps during all these years, when Methodism was in its infancy at best, Alexander Brush, a local preacher, was the main stay of the society. For years services were held in his house situated where the residence of John Hastings now stands. He was blind, and his wife would read to him a passage of Scripture, when he would preach from it. When he became so feeble that he could no longer stand, he occupied his easy chair, and continued to preach to the people who came to his house to worship. During the missionary period there was much opposition to the Methodists and many can still remember when the old school-house at Brushland was locked against them and the door was broken open by one who was friendly to them and who afterward became a member; also when the Maynard school-house was locked. An interesting incident is connected with the school-house in Brushland. A special meeting was called of the taxable inhabitants of the district to decide by vote whether the Methodists should worship in the school-house or not. Dr. Calhoun of Delhi, who then resided here, was chairman of the meeting. An old lady by the name of Scott, who was one of the heaviest tax-payers in the district, insisted on the right to vote in the matter. The chairman permitted her to vote. It was carried in favor of the Methodists. Many were the maledictions which fell upon the poor doctor's head for thus favoring them.
At one time a protracted meeting was to be held in the upper part of the town and the school-house was not large enough, so old Mr. Mitchell, father of J. D. Mitchell, invited them to his barn. But the old lady had heard that the Methodists were great smokers, and she was afraid they would burn the barn, so she turned them out. They then went to Youmans's barn, on the Sloan Archibald place where the work went gloriously forward. Mr. Hobbie who then lived on the farm of the widow, seated his wagon house and invited them to more spacious quarters.
Three classes were finally formed in the town, one at Brushland, another up town and a third at "the Hook." Up to the time of Mr. Brush's death, which took place September 11th, 1840, regular preaching by traveling preachers was had, though their visits were few and far between.
After his death the society was without preaching until they began to talk about building a church. Indeed, this had been talked of previous to his death, and he had offered them a site to build on, which was accepted after his death. It is stated on good authority that Mr. Brush, who was totally blind, partially recovered his sight a year or two before he died, and declared that if he could live a couple of years longer he would see an M. E. church erected, but he did not live to see one of his greatest desires gratified. In January, 1848, having long thought of the matter, a few who were deeply interested came to the acting point and resolved to try to build a church unto the Lord. Prominent among them were William Lull, Solvents Bramley, James Seacord, Alexander Brush, Alphonso Lee, Edward McKenzie and Thomas W. Dennis. When it was found that these men of courage and faith were in earnest and meant business, Brushland was taken on with Andes. The Rev. William H. Smith was pastor, and presided at the first business meeting in connection with the project.
After procuring an amount on subscription insuring success, the trustees entered into a contract on the 29th day of September, 1848, with John Murray, jr., of Delhi, to erect, build and finish the church. Accordingly, on August 11th, 1849, the building was finished and was accepted by the following board of trustees: James Seacord, Thomas W. Dennis, Sylvenus Bramley, Alphonso Lee and Edward McKenzie. The whole cost of the building was $1,397.50. It must be remembered that the society was very weak at this time, there being only three of four male members in the whole town.
The dedication took place August 22nd, 1849. The Rev. Edward S. Stout preached the dedicatory sermon. This incident in the history of Methodism in the town caused no little stir among those who, perhaps honestly, thought that Methodism was a fearful disease and should be dealt with as such. This will be seen from the following correct quotation from the "Autobiography of Rev. John Graham," who was then pastor of the "Associate Presbyterian church" (now called the U. P.):
"I remember receiving a notice to read from the pulpit which in substance was like the following: 'The pastor of the Associate Presbyterian church is requested to intimate that the Methodist Episcopal church will be opened for public worship on Wednesday, first and consecrated; and he is invited to come himself and invite his people to come along with him.' I read it after public worship in the forenoon and after endeavoring to show that the consecrating of churches, grave-yards and other things was heathenish and popish in its origin, and had no foundation under the Christian dispensation, and that our church testified against such practices, I said: 'As for the invitation for me to go, and request you to follow, and give countenance to such popish mummeries, rather than comply with it (stretching out my right hand and suiting the word to the action), let this right hand forget its cunning, and my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth.' I then dismissed the congregation. This bold and unexpected blow against Arminianism, which was beginning to gain ground among us, struck my people with a sort of surprise and fear, so much so that none attended on that occasion except a few aged women who lived near by. Some diseases need strong medicine at the beginning to prevent them spreading and injuring the whole system; and which, if used in time, prevents much trouble and perplexity afterward."
This was indeed harsh treatment, but the occasion was well attended, and it is but just to say that all is harmony and peace between the churches now.
From this time up to April 1871, Andes and Bovina comprised one charge (see history of Andes M. E. church). There was nothing remarkable in the progress of the church up to 1871, save during the two years pastorate of Rev. William Hall, in 1857 and 1858. Four of those converted during his pastorate went out to preach the gospel, viz: Andrew R. Burroughs (deceased), W. Telford (deceased), J. J. Dean and Edward Boggs. In April 1871, Bovina was set off from Andes, and became a charge by itself. The following is a true list of the preachers names from that time up to April 1880. From April, 1871, to 1873, O. R. Bouton; from 1873 to 1875, Joseph Elliott; from 1875 to 1878, P. N. Chase; from 1878 to 1880, E. Quick. Since the division the pastor has been located at Brushland, and the membership has been gradually increasing. In 1871 a parsonage was purchased of Dr. Charles Frisbee for $2,000. In 1877 he church was repaired and beautified in the inside, and has a capacity to seat three hundred. The church property is valued at $4,500. Last year the membership was increased by twenty, and now numbers eight-seven.
The society maintains an excellent Sabbath-school, of which the pastor is superintendent.
was organized informally at a very early period in the history of the town of Bovina. The society for many years received the ministerial labor of a co-pastor with the Kortright people. Both congregations became vacant, and each obtained supplies from the Southern Presbytery of the Reformed Presbyterian Church. James Douglas, a licentiate of the Church of Scotland, visited Bovina and preached as a stated supply. A call was presented to him to become the pastor of the congregation, but declined. Some time after he applied to and received ordination from the Reformed Dutch church, and preached to the people, not as pastor, but as a minister and missionary of the gospel. The field of labor extended over a large portion of Delaware county , in Colchester, Hamden, New Kingston and Bovina. In these places his name is a household word, cherished and embalmed in memory's fondest recollection.
We have been presented with a list of names recognized among the early settlers of the town who aided in the erection of the stone church near Andrew T. Russell's (the old Russell homestead). The following minute is from the records of the congregation: "Bovina, N. Y., June 13th, 1825. The male members of the congregation being present, the meeting was constituted with prayer. John McEvers was chosen chairman and James Miller, sen., was chosen clerk. The following items were agreed to: 1st, That a meeting-house be built with stone, of the following dimensions: Length, 34 feet; width, 24 feet; height 12, and to have a gallery. 2d, James Russell, David Ballantine and John Russell are appointed to collect the subscription and superintend the erection of the building. 3d, David Ballantine was chosen treasurer. The following names are on the list of subscribers for church erection, and also for sustaining the ordinances: William Murray, Robert Hamilton, James Archibald, Thomas Elliott, John Orr, James Miller, Thomas McFall, John Hastings, Andrew Thomson, James Rutherford, Alexander Steele, David Ballantine, Thomas Hamilton, James Russell, William Cowan, John Thomson, William Ladley, Joseph Marshall, Ebenezer Ladley, John Archibald, Patrick Sanderson, Robert Scott, Thomas McFarland, John Russell, William Telford, William Greison and James McKain. The church was completed and was a model church in its day, reflecting great credit on the men whose names are above recorded. A grave-yard still marks the site where it stood. In the year 1830, December 6th, new members were received from the Church of Scotland, who had exercised the office of ruling elders there; were elected by the people here and installed in the same office. At this time the names of Andrew Thomson and James Miller were added as members of session. The condition of the congregation continued with no material change until the year 1833, after which time the order and government of the church was strictly enforced, the ordinances administered, the seals of the covenant, baptism and the Lord's Supper dispensed and a higher spiritual life attained. At the synod May 25th, 1847, the records of the New York Presbytery stated that "the Rev. James Douglas was restored to his relation to the church in October, 1846, and admitted as a minister of the Word and member of the court." On the first Sabbath of July he administered the Lord's Supper in the congregation for the first time, assisted by Rev. Samuel M. Wilson. At the meeting of the New York Presbytery October 5th he received and accepted a call from Bovina, and was installed by a commission of the court consisting of Revs. Andrew Stevens and Samuel M. Willson, George Spence and James Miller elders. This was a happy consummation in answer to many prayers. As an under-shepherd full of the spirit and in power he lead the people on the higher attainments in piety and in purity of life and deportment, until his labor was done, and as a shock of corn fully ripe he was gathered home to the fold above. In the 78th year of his age he departed this life, on the Lord's Day, March 15th, 1857, to enjoy the rest that remaineth for the people of God. The item below is from the minute of the presbytery recording his death: "His ministry was evangelical, respectable for its sound and judicious exhibition of divine truth; and while faithful to the testimony, his delight was in the mercy and forgiveness revealed in the blood of Christ." The church now vacant, the people sought and under-shepherd; a call was made out, presented, and accepted by J. T. Pollock, who was ordained and installed pastor by a commission of the New York Presbytery. Revs. S. M. Willson, J. W. Shaw, S. Carlisle and J. C. K. Milligan, George Spence and James Miller, elders, July 10th,l 861. The people gave their young pastor a cordial reception. With energy they went on to complete the new church in course of erection in the village of Brushland. The widow of the lamented pastor heading the list of subscribers others followed until sufficient was raised to complete the building, amounting to $2,355.18, thus leaving the congregation in possession of a comfortable and neat edifice free from debt. The session was composed of the following members: James Miller, William Thomson, David B. Russell, Thomas Arbuckle. The last two mentioned were ordained to the office of ruling elder May 11th, 1861. Mr. Pollock labored with acceptance to the people for the short space of three years, when he gave up his charge. The presbytery, on the 23rd of May, 1864, removed him from all pastoral connections with the church of Bovina. A call was made out December 14th, 1864, for Rev. J. Kennedy, of Pennsylvania, and by him accepted. A commission of the New York Presbytery consisting of J. C. K. Milligan, J. B. Williams and D. McAllister, ministers, George Spence, and David B. Russell, elders, attended to his installation January 11th, 1865. The right hand of welcome was extended to the new pastor, who has labored for nearly fifteen years with comfort in the confidence of an attached people. The members of the session are Joshua Kennedy, pastor; William Thomson, sen., David B. Russell, Andrew Thomson, Andrew T. Russell and Thomas Lindsey, elders.
LIEUTENANT JAMES S. ADEE, son of Stephen B. and grandson of Samuel Adee, who came from Westchester county in 1790, was born in Bovina in 1837. He enlisted in 1862, and went out as 2nd sergeant Company E, 144th regiment, and was discharged at the close of the war as first lieutenant of the same company. He was married in 1867 to Mary E., daughter of S. S. D. Wetmore, of Kortright. GEORGE ARCHIBALD, dairy farmer of Bovina, was born in 1824. His father James and his grandfather Andrew Archibald came to this country from Scotland in 1807. In 1808 his father settled on the farm where he now resides. Mrs. Archibald is a daughter of John Anderson, of Andes.
FRANK C. ARMSTRONG, son of John Armstrong, was born in 1838 at Bovina. He was married in 1862 to Jeanette, daughter of John Burns. They reside on the homestead farm which was settled in 1817 by John Oliver. Mr. Armstrong has been assessor six years.
ROBERT BIGGAR, son of Walter Biggar, was born in 1833. He was married by the Rev. Dr. Kennedy, in 1865 to Isabella J. daughter of Elder James Miller, sen., who came with his father, James, from Scotland in 1816. Mr. Biggar is serving his fourth year as assessor of Bovina. His farm was settled about 1796 by Thomas Liddle.
DAVID BLACK, son of William and grandson of John Black, of Dumfrieshire, Scotland, came to Delaware county in 1841. He was in California in 1850 - 53; in Wisconsin, as a farmer, 1856 - 64, and located in Bovina in 1865. His first wife, who died in 1870, was James Thomson's daughter Margaret. In 1875 he was married to Mary J. Scott, of Bovina. His farm is the Thomson homestead. The beautiful larch trees on this farm were planted by Mr. Thomson, who introduced them into the town.
S. G. BRAMLEY, son of Henry and grandson of William Bramley, a Revolutionary soldier, who came to this country from England previous to the Revolution, was born in 1838. He was married in 1861 to Mary S., daughter of William Lull, of Bovina. He owns the homestead farm, and makes a specialty of Alderney stock, and fitting horses for city market.
H. C. BURGIN, grandson of Chandler Burgin, an early settler who came from Massachusetts to Delhi, was born in Middletown in 1818. He is serving his fourth term as justice of the peace in Delaware county, and has served in several minor offices. He is now steward in the M. E. church at Brushland.
DUNCAN CAMPBELL, a native of Dumbartonshire, Scotland, came to Delaware county with his father, Collin Campbell, in 1820. In 1858 he located in Bovina, and was married to Nancy, daughter of George Thomson.
CHARLES T. CORNELL, a son of Nathaniel Cornell, was born in 1858. His father died in the Union army in the civil war.
In the year 1800 FRANCIS COULTER came to Stamford, from Hawick, Scotland. His grandson, James A. Coulter, was born in Bovina in 1834, and in 1868 was married to Mary Rotermund, of Andes.
JAMES W. COULTER, son of James and grandson of Francis Coulter, a pioneer from Scotland in 1800, was born in Bovina in 1837; was married, in 1866, to Lizzie M., daughter of William Doig; has been a general mechanic for twenty-one years, and since 1872 has been superintendent of the Livingston estate in Bovina.
FRANCIS COULTER, a successful farmer in the New Kingston valley, was born in 1831. His father was Walter, and his grandfather was Francis Coulter, of Bovina. His wife is a daughter of James Henderson. Their family is a promising circle of two sons and three daughters.
J. P. FLOWER was born in Massachusetts in 1800. He came to Bovina with his father in 1803, and began business in Delhi in 1834. He kept the Farmers' Hotel at Delhi forty years. He was married in 1822 to Margaret Orwin, who died in 1860. His hotel at "The Hook" is the only one in Bovina. John Moon kept an inn here as early as 1810. William Orr was next. John F. Dibble erected the present hotel in 1862.
ARCHIBALD FOREMAN, a native of Berwickshire, Scotland, came to Bovina in 1852. He spent five or six years in California, returning in 1860. The following year he was married to Davina, daughter of David Laidlow. Mr. Forman is a thorough and successful farmer, and has served two years as commissioner of highways.
ROBERT J. FORREST son of Robert Forrest of Scotland, who was a brother of William Forrest, a pioneer, was born in Roxburyshire in 1823; came to Bovina in 1847, and in 1850 was married to Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Biggar, of Bovina.
ROBERT FORREST, son of William Forrest, was born in 1827. In 1853 he was married to Mary G., daughter of Alexander McEachron, of Washington county. Mr. Forrest served seven years in the State Militia, is one of the trustees of the U. P. church, and has been sole commissioner of highways since 1875.
THOMAS E. FORREST, son of William Forrest, who came from Roxburyshire, Scotland, in 1816, was born in Bovina in 1821. He was married in 1844 to Helen Raitt, who died in 1868. His present wife is Margaret, daughter of Alexander McEachron. Mr. Forrest has been assessor of the town for six years. His farm is part of the lot settled by _____ Sniffin, after whom the name Sniffin's brook was originally applied to the stream.
JAMES S. GILL is one of seven children of James Gill, who came from Morrieshire, Scotland, in 1838, and was married in 1839 to Mary, daughter of David Lyle. The family is somewhat scattered. Jennie B. and Lottie E. are in Toledo; Mary J. is Mrs. A. Liddle, of Andes; William and Alexander H. are mechanics; David is in San Francisco, and the subject of this sketch is in the marble business with Dr. Calhoun & Co., of Delhi.
WILLIAM GLADSTONE, sen., is a native of Roxburyshire, Scotland. In 1817, at the age of twelve years, he came with his father, Robert, to Delaware county, and in 1833 he was married to Christina, daughter of James Renwick, a pioneer of 1802. She died in 1873.
THOMAS GORDON, a native of Scotland, was educated in the F. C. Institution, Castle Douglass. He came to Delaware county in 1864, and enlisted. He was clerk at the assistant adjutant general's office, 9th army corps. After the war he was in business in Delhi two years, and since then has followed the business of teaching, principally in Brushland.
JOHN HASTINGS, son of James M. Hastings, and grandson of John Hastings who came from Scotland in 1797, was born in Bovina in 1825. His wife is Jennett, daughter of John Scott, of Bovina. He has spent most of his life at farming, until within the last twelve years he has bought and shipped livestock. He has served minor offices.
THOMAS E. HASTINGS, merchant, is a brother of John Hastings. He was born at Bovina in 1829, and married in 1859 to Jane S., daughter of Peter Blair, of Bovina. Mr. Hastings is trustee and treasurer of the U. P. church at Brushland. He began his mercantile career in 1852. His present store is where Judge Cowan kept a store in the early days of the village.
Another brother, JAMES E., was born in 1840. He carries on the home farm and makes a specialty of raising Alderney cattle.
JOHN HILSON, of Bovina, dealer in general merchandise, was born in Scotland in 1827. He came to this country in 1850, and settled on a farm in Bovina, where he remained fourteen years. He then removed to his present location in Brushland. He is serving his sixth year as town clerk. His wife Hannah, is a daughter of Robert Hamilton, one of the early settlers.
THOMAS A. HILSON, son of William Hilson from Berwickshire, Scotland, was married in 1861 to Ellen J. Graham, who died five years after. His present wife is Jennet O., daughter of George Scott, of Bovina. Mr. Hilson is a leading farmer on the Little Delaware, and has served as assessor of Bovina five years.
JOSHUA K. HOBBIE, who was born in Bovina in 1799, and died in 1860, was a son of Ebenezer Hobbie, who settled the Hobbie farm in 1798. His wife, who survives him, is Sally Eliza, daughter of Stephen Russell, also a pioneer. Mr. Hobbie was a respected citizen and the father of a prosperous generation.
HENRY HOGOBOOM, son of John Hogoboom, who came to Bovina from Otsego in 1841, was born in Sullivan county in 1837. He enlisted as a soldier in the Federal army with Company E 144th regiment, in 1863, and was discharged with that regiment. He is now a broker and speculator at Bovina Valley.
CHARLES R. LEE, son of Alphonse Lee who came to this county from Chenango county in 1826, was born at Delhi in 1828, His wife is a daughter of Joel Washburn, whose father, E. B. Washburn, was an early settler in Andes. Mr. Lee has been justice of the peace eight years.
ARCHIBALD F. MAYNARD, brother of Judge Maynard, was born on the Maynard homestead, which he now owns, in 1829. In 1875 he was married to Jennie I., daughter of Hector Cowan, of Stamford.
ELISHA B. MAYNARD, son of Isaac and grandson of Elisha B. Maynard, the pioneer, was married in 1852, to Jane, daughter of Henry Macdonald, of Bovina. Their family consists of five children. Margaret is Mrs. J. B. Liddle, of Meredith.
ANDREW T. MCFARLAND, the only son of Thomas McFarland, who came to Delaware county from Ireland in 1785, was born on the homestead in Bovina where he now resides, in 1805. He was married in 1832 to Jane Russell who was born in 1806. Her father, James Russell, was an early settler. Mr. McFarland's farm was settled in 1800 by his father, who died in 1858, aged eighty-nine.
WILLIAM MCNAUGHT was born in Bovina in 1823, and married to Sarah M. Barnet, of Stamford, in 1860. His father is Malcomb, son of John McNaught, who came to Bovina from Scotland about 1817. Mr. McNaught is a thorough and successful farmer on a dairy farm of two hundred and two acres. There is a stone fence standing on this farm built by Joseph Smith the Mormon prophet.
THOMAS MCNEE, son of John McNee of Delhi was born in Bovina in 1852, and married to Mary, daughter of William Doig, in 1865. He has worked at the cooper business in Brushland for ten years; was partner in the firm of McNee & Gill from 1875 to 1879, when the firm was changed to Stott & McNee.
JAMES D. MERRITT was born in 1852. His wife, Mary C., is a daughter of Hiram Baxter. He is a farmer at Bovina.
MICHAEL MILLER was born in Scotland in 1828. Three years afterward his father, William, came with his family to Bovina. Michael Miller married in 1853 Sally Ann, daughter of John McCune. He is serving his ninth year as assessor of Bovina, and has been one term county superintendent of the poor.
JOHN G. RUSSELL, son of James and grandson of William Russell, was born at the Russell homestead in 1827. He was married in 1857 to Margaret, daughter of Andrew Nicol. Mr. Russell is a dairy farmer on the farm settled by James Thomson. His grandfather was among the Scotch pioneers of 1801, and he left three numerous and prosperous generations of descendants.
THOMAS B. RUSSELL, his brother, was born in 1816 on the homestead, where their youngest brother, Andrew T., now lives. His wife is William Murray's daughter Jane, a sister of Judge Murray, of Delhi. Of Mr. Russell's nine children only one son and two daughters are living.
W. L. RUTHERFORD, who was born at Bovina in 1814, is a son of James Rutherford, from Scotland, a pioneer of about 1800. He worked at carpenter work for several seasons, teaching school winters. In 1840 he was married to Rachel White. He went to California during the gold excitement, and is now the leading man in the county in breeding pure blood cattle. His farm was first settled by John and James Hastings about 1799.
JAMES A. SCOTT was born in Middletown in 1841. He is a descendant of Robert Scott, who came from Scotland to this county in 1801. His wife, Margaret, is a daughter of James Scott, of Stamford. Mr. Scott was for a time engaged in teaching; subsequently connected with Wilcox & Gibbs as assistant manager. His health failing, in 1873 he returned to his farm in Bovina.
In 1797 PELEG SOPER, son of Jonah Soper, an eastern Yankee, settled in Bovina, where he died in 1857. His wife, Nancy Aiken, died recently at the age of ninety-four. Their children, Harriet A., Orvil M., and Isaac E. survive them and occupy the homestead.
ALEXANDER STORIE is a son of William Storie, a pioneer of 1801, from Scotland; was born at Bovina in 1814. He was married to Judge James Cowan's daughter, Esther A., in 1851. Mr. Storie has served as associate judge of the county. His farm was settled about 1796 by Justice Purdy, a Revolutionary soldier.
WILLIAM STOTT, son of George and grandson of Walter Stott, who came to Bovina from Roxburyshire, Scotland, in 1818, was born in Bovina in 1829. A mason by trade since 1867, he is now in the firm of Stott & McNee, coopers at Brushland. He has been assessor of this town one year.
WALTER O. STOTT, a brother of William, was born in Bovina in 1835. His wife, Harriet, is a daughter of John McNee. They were married in 1862. Mr. Stott has worked at the cooper's trade for the last twelve years.
ANDREW T. STRANGEWAY, a son of Christopher Strangeway, was born at Brushland in 1839. he began business first as agent for Gregg & Co. The next year he became partner with John Hilson. The partnership was dissolved in 1872. The same year he was married to Andrew Doig's daughter, Maggie A., who died in 1879. He erected his present store and residence in 1874, where he does a prosperous business in general merchandise.
ANDREW G. THOMSON, son of George Thomson, was born in 1836 in Bovina, and was married in 1868 to Annie daughter of James King. Their family consists of three sons and one daughter. He is carrying on the dairy business on a farm near Teunis lake.
ANDREW THOMSON, son of William Thomson , who came to this county in 1825, was born in Bovina in 1836. His wife, Margaret J., is a sister of James F. Scott of Andes. They were married in 1861. His farm was settled by Thomas Liddle.
ANDREW b. THOMSON is a son of James Thomson, sen., who was born in Scotland in 1798, and came to Bovina in 1801. His mother was Nancy, daughter of James Russell, a pioneer of 1801. The parents were substantial and respected people. Andrew B. and two sisters occupy the homestead on the Little Delaware.
D. L. THOMSON, son of David and grandson of William Thomson, of Scotland, was born in Bovina in 1831. He married Eliza Murray, daughter of John Murray, and began business at Brushland. He now runs the first and only hardware store there.
ROBERT F. THOMSON was born in Bovina in 1829, a grandson of William Thomson, of Scotland, and son of David, who, with his brothers John and Andrew, came to the county in 1803. Mr. Thomson was married in 1866 to Ellen, daughter of James Miller. Their farm on Coulter brook is the old Associate Presbyterian farm. The house is the old manse built for Rev. John Graham. One Riverly built a fulling-mill on this farm about 1803.
W. L. WHITE is one of the most successful teachers of Delaware county having been principal of Cannonsville school during a period when it was one of the largest schools of the county. The death of his father, Robert White, in 1869, called him again to the farm, where he is still engaged. Mr. White was born in 1841. His mother was a sister of Rev. John Graham.