W. H. HENDERSON, senior member of the drug firm of Henderson Brothers, Humeston, Iowa, was born in Delaware County, New York, September 3, 1852, a son of James and Nancy (Harkness) Henderson, natives also of the Empire State. He was reared on a farm in his native county, receiving his education at Cazenovia, New York. After leaving school he commenced life for himself by teaching in the schools of Delaware County, remaining there until 1874, when he came to Iowa and located in Humeston. Soon after his arrival he engaged in the general mercantile business with Alva Humeston under the firm name of Humeston & Henderson, continuing with him about two years. He then taught school one winter and after his school was out purchased the interest of Mr. Hough, in the drug firm of McCulloch & Hough, established by those gentlemen in 1875. In January 1884, G. A. Henderson bought the interest of Dr. McCulloch and the present firm was formed. Although an earnest worker in the cause of the Republican party Mr. Henderson has never had any official asperations and has accepted neither local nor national position. He was married September 16, 1875, to Miss Mattie Ferguson, a native of Delaware County, New York. They are the parents of three children - Floyd, born August 21, 1876; Annie, born May 17, 1880; and Edith, born December 23, 1884. Mr. and Mrs. Henderson are members of the Presbyterian church. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Fidelity Lodge, No. 228; Chariton Chapter, No. __, and Constantine Commandry, No. 23; also of Chappaqua Lodge, No. 121, I.O.O.F. The Henderson and Harkness families were both of Scotch-Irish descent, the grandfather of our subject, George Henderson [See: Biographical Review - The Leading Citizens of Delaware County, NY], coming to America in 1808, and sittling in Delaware County, New York, where he died May 1861. The second son, James, the father of our subject, was born in that county in June 1822 and is still living, the mother dying March 20, 1863 (sic, prob. 1853 since the father remarried unless there was a third marriage - see below). George A. Henderson, the junior member of the firm of Henderson Brothers, was born September 19, 1860.
Submitted by John Hutchins, October 2003
[Biographical & Historical Record of Wayne & Appanoose Counties, Iowa; Inter-state Publishing Company; Chicago; 1886.]
From 'History of Kossuth County [Iowa]', page 464, published in 1884.
ROBERT H. HENDERSON was born May 6, 1840, in Delaware Co., N.Y. After four years he went with his parents [James Henderson and Esther McCrakin] to Orleans Co., New York. In 1848 they moved to Trumbull Co., Ohio, and remained till the fall of 1854, then moved to Jackson Co., Iowa, and lived there till the spring of 1857. He then came to Algona, Kossuth County, and enlisted at Spirit Lake, being mustered in at Sioux City. He served in the army three years. He was in Gen. Zellar's expedition in 1863 and 1864, but not wounded. Having been mustered out Nov. 23, 1864, he returned to Kossuth County, remaining at Algona until 1867, when he removed to Story Co., Iowa.
From there he went to Nevada, and lived till the spring of 1869, then going to Boone Co., Iowa, he made it his home until Feb. 18, 1878, and again came to Kossuth county, where he has since lived on his wife's mother's farm on section 11, township 94, range 29, he having married Dec. 26, 1864, Nancy Martin, whose mother lives with them. They have four children - Cora, William H., Emma G. and Mary E. Mrs. Martin is a member of the Methodist Church. Mr. Henderson is director of district No 8, and in politics a republican.
[Nancy was the mother of 6, 5 living according to the 1900 census record. Edna Electa Henderson, #5 and not listed above, was not born until 20 July 1887, three years after the foregoing was published. (jh)]